My 2018 190 Outrage

A conversation among Whalers
A Frayed knot

My 2018 190 Outrage

Postby A Frayed knot » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:05 am

Hello. I’ve been lurking on these pages for a while and figured I’d make an account, now that I actually have a Boston Whaler boat again—a new 190 Outrage. I used to have a 170 Montauk over a decade ago so I’m rusty, but I’ll get it back fast.

My wife and I will be boating on the eastern end of Long Island. We wanted something that would be comfy on a ride from Shinnecock to Shelter Island, Montauk via Peconic Bay, or even a trip to Connecticut. We still have to choose our days.

But the return trips can be choppy even when the day started out calm, and we wanted the smoother ride.

Also, we will be moving next year, somewhere in Florida (currently house shopping). This [190 OUTRAGE] boat will be a blast down there too, esp because it’s relatively easy to trailer. Perfect for trips to the keys, gulf, and east coast.

Both of us like to fish a lot, but we also like to cruise around or take another couple out as well. The 190 Outrage has those bases covered.

The 190 Outrage is powered with a Mercury 150 FOURSTROKE that moves the boat along nicely. The boat has white powder-coated T-Top with four rod holders up top. Lenco trim tabs are a must, as well, and this boat already had them. She has dual pedestal seats which are nice when you want to rest your back and chill for a minute. We weren’t digging the bench seats.

Went with a Fusion radio and loudspeakers, a Garmin touch screen chart plotter and SONAR.

The 190 OUTRAGE has the fishing package with live well, too, and seat and console covers as well. The light blue hull matches our 1981 Bronco which is also light blue.

Here’s the only picture I have of the 190 Outrage—I’ll take more over the next few days. Happy to be back on the water!

190 Outrage.jpeg
190 Outrage.jpeg (181.11 KiB) Viewed 6738 times

Dutchman

Re: My 2018 190 Outrage

Postby Dutchman » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:03 am

Welcome back.

The 190 Outrage is a great boat that will do all you want it to do.

Are the topsides that light blue? Or, is it the shadow in your picture making her look like that?

My wife loves the colors that Boston Whaler now offers besides white and that blue is her favorite.

Again, a great boat, and have a nice boating season East or South.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

A Frayed knot

Postby A Frayed knot » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:18 pm

Thank you—we're excited for sure. The topsides are indeed painted light blue as well, my wife loved this color as well. It's not too far off from a Tiffany's blue.

The 190 Outrage from the side:

190 outrage side.jpeg
190 outrage side.jpeg (117.91 KiB) Viewed 6662 times

Divin'Ivan

Postby Divin'Ivan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:16 am

Congratulations. The 190 Outrage is a great boat. I've had mine for five years this month and love it.
Current boat - 2018 270 Dauntless, Twin Mercury 225 Verado
Previous boat - 2013 190 Outrage, Mercury 150 EFI - SOLD

A Frayed knot

Postby A Frayed knot » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:41 am

Diviv’Ivan—Thank you.

What waters are you boating in?

Any advice from a fellow 190 Outrage owner would be greatly appreciated.

What kind of chop are you comfy in?

Longest trip?

Thanks again

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:33 am

The blue hull and white topsides are a nice combination.

Is the hull color a gel coat resin color?
Or a paint topcoat?

A Frayed knot

Postby A Frayed knot » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:03 pm

I agree, the contrast really looks great. It is a gel coat. Every morning I find an excuse to go down to the marina and drool over the boat. They will be putting electronics in over the next few days, can't wait.

Divin'Ivan

Postby Divin'Ivan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:07 pm

A Frayed knot wrote:Diviv’Ivan—Thank you.

Longest trip?

Thanks again

I go out of Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale, but have trailered my 190 Outrage all over Florida from the Gulf Coast to the Florida Keys and even did some fishing in the everglades.

Best advise I can give you is to ONLY use non-ethanol fuel, it will save you a lot of headaches later. Another piece of advise is to add a second battery to use as a house battery as soon as you can.

Honestly the boat can handle a lot. As far as comfort, obviously the less the better, but if you're talking about feeling safe, I have been caught out in the ocean when the seas turn from dead calm to 4-6 foot and never felt unsafe. The hull is very stable and handles very well in even 6' seas, not much fun having return to port doing 10 to 20 knots, but better safe than sorry.

Longest trip has been about 45 miles each way. My boat averages about 4 mpg over the life of the boat, but that includes many weekends out with the kids pulling them in a tube.

I noticed you have the dual seats. I can tell you that storage for small items will be a problem. I have the leaning post that has storage inside and it's great. you may want to look into somehow adding a storage compartment into the console or adding a storage box to the T-Top.

A Frayed knot

Postby A Frayed knot » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:14 pm

Divin'Ivan wrote:
A Frayed knot wrote:Diviv’Ivan—Thank you.

Longest trip?

Thanks again

I go out of Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale, but have trailered my 190 Outrage all over Florida from the Gulf Coast to the Florida Keys and even did some fishing in the everglades.

Best advise I can give you is to ONLY use non-ethanol fuel, it will save you a lot of headaches later. Another piece of advise is to add a second battery to use as a house battery as soon as you can.

Honestly the boat can handle a lot. As far as comfort, obviously the less the better, but if you're talking about feeling safe, I have been caught out in the ocean when the seas turn from dead calm to 4-6 foot and never felt unsafe. The hull is very stable and handles very well in even 6' seas, not much fun having return to port doing 10 to 20 knots, but better safe than sorry.

Longest trip has been about 45 miles each way. My boat averages about 4 mpg over the life of the boat, but that includes many weekends out with the kids pulling them in a tube.

I noticed you have the dual seats. I can tell you that storage for small items will be a problem. I have the leaning post that has storage inside and it's great. you may want to look into somehow adding a storage compartment into the console or adding a storage box to the T-Top.

That's admirable, thank you for the advice. Storage is important so is redundancy. I am having them install a second battery and T-top storage in July. Not sure if I want the lockable box or the more flexible bags. Any input would be appreciated. Also, on days where we are not using the live well, we can get extra storage there.

Glad to hear it was holding it's own in foul conditions. Saftey is key, the high bow rail and freeboard makes you feel secure.

Do you have the 150 or the 200?

Divin'Ivan

Postby Divin'Ivan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:12 pm

I have the 150 same as you, I find it to be more than enough. As far as storage in the live well, make sure whatever you put in there is not damaged by being submerged, if you do use it as such, make sure to close the seacock inside the leaning post, the access plate is on the port side. I made the mistake early on and stored a couple of bags with towels and clothes along with a small camera and somehow managed to fill the live well with water.I now use it to store snorkeling gear and when not fishing I use it as my trash bin.

A Frayed knot

Postby A Frayed knot » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:41 pm

Divin'Ivan wrote:I have the 150 same as you, I find it to be more than enough. As far as storage in the live well, make sure whatever you put in there is not damaged by being submerged, if you do use it as such, make sure to close the seacock inside the leaning post, the access plate is on the port side. I made the mistake early on and stored a couple of bags with towels and clothes along with a small camera and somehow managed to fill the live well with water.I now use it to store snorkeling gear and when not fishing I use it as my trash bin.

yes, def wanna close the seacock if using the live well for storage. Using the live well as a trash bin is a good idea too. Thanks!