BRP Acquires Alumacraft, Manitou

A conversation among Whalers
jimh

BRP Acquires Alumacraft, Manitou

Postby jimh » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:13 pm

Here is a press release from Bombardier Recreational Products announcing the acquisition of Alumacraft boat and the formation of a new Marine Group, with Mr. Tracy Crocker appointed as president.

--begin press release---

BRP ACQUIRES ALUMACRAFT AND CREATES A NEW MARINE GROUP

Valcourt, Quebec, June 28, 2018 – BRP (TSX:DOO) announced today the creation of the Marine Group with the acquisition of Alumacraft Boat, the premier private North American manufacturer of aluminum fishing boats, based in St. Peter, Minnesota.

By solidifying its position in the marine market through a boat company acquisition to complement its outboard engine portfolio, BRP will aim to eventually transform the marine business worldwide with its world-renowned technical expertise, design prowess and ingenuity. Tracy Crocker, Senior Vice-President and General Manager of Evinrude Outboard Motors since 2017, is being appointed President of the Group, effective immediately.

This acquisition will allow BRP to leverage the strength and reputation of two iconic marine industry players with Alumacraft's extensive boating know-how bringing exceptional boating experiences to its customers since 1946 and Evinrude's superior value and quality for over 110 years. Alumacraft is known as one of the first companies to build aluminum boats for fishing and recreation with a truly innovative design for the times, and the introduction of the revolutionary 2Xb hull. It is now employing over 250 people in two U.S. locations and has a network of 275+ dealers around the globe. With BRP's state-of-the-art manufacturing know-how, aluminum expertise and innovation track record, the addition of Alumacraft will enable us to, over time, continue to transform the customer experience, drive opportunities for our dealers and provide overall efficiencies to the new BRP Marine Group.

"This acquisition is a natural first step for our newly formed Marine Group," said José Boisjoli, BRP President and CEO. "In the short term, we plan to focus on network optimization to leverage the strengths of both product lines and gradually reinforce our presence in the industry. Along with our recognized approach to innovation and design expertise, we hope to eventually transform this industry and do for the marine business what we have done for the powersports business."

"We are pleased to welcome Alumacraft and its team to the BRP family and together we will build our Marine Group to support our goal to become a leading marine company," said Tracy Crocker. "As always, our key objective is to provide high quality, innovative boats and engines that help families create unforgettable memories on the water. With the great people and thinking at Evinrude and at Alumacraft, we are definitely set up for success."

For additional information on Alumacraft, visit alumacraft.com.

ConB

Re: BRP Acquires Alumacraft

Postby ConB » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:31 pm

I hope this isn't Deja vu all over again.

Con
!987 Outrage 18 / 2011 Yamaha F150
1969 13 / 30hp Johnson tiller

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:13 am

I took the advice offered in the press release and visited the Alumcraft website for more information. I didn't find any more information about the acquisition of Alumacraft by BRP, but I did observe that previously Alumacraft was offering their boats with engines pre-installed and with just about all major brands. For example, I used the "Build It" option for a TROPHY 205 boat, and I found I could select an engine from these manufacturers:

• BRP
  • Honda
  • Mercury
  • Suzuki
  • Yamaha

In a year or two it may be interesting to re-visit Alumacraft.com to see what pre-installed engine options will be available.

In the aluminum fishing boat market, Alumacraft competitors CRESTLINER and LUND are owned by Brunswick. At the Crestliner website, the only engines offered pre-installed with a boat are Brunswick's Mercury brand engines. At the Lund website, the boats are offered with either Mercury engines or Honda engines pre-installed.

My local Evinrude dealer, Lockeman's Hardware & Boats, has been a Crestliner dealer for a long time. He has been able to get Crestliner boats without a pre-installed engine, but they seem to be a special order and the pricing is bit tilted in favor of the pre-installed engines.

ConB

Postby ConB » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:21 pm

An interesting quote in todays Trade News.

Alumacraft will continue to offer various types of propulsion, said Crocker.

“They offer several OEMs, including Evinrude, and will continue to do so,” said Crocker. “We would love to be on every Alumacraft sold, and we’ll do everything we can to earn that. And we’re confident we will. But that takes time.”

Interesting concept, give a choice.

Con
!987 Outrage 18 / 2011 Yamaha F150
1969 13 / 30hp Johnson tiller

jimh

Re: BRP Acquires Manitou

Postby jimh » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:12 am

BRP has acquired another boat builder, MANITOU the high-end pontoon boat manufacturer based in Lansing, Michigan. A press release announces the transaction:

http://news.brp.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=254 ... ID=2361530

Valcourt, Quebec, August 2, 2018 – BRP (TSX:DOO) announced today that it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Triton Industries, Inc., the leading North American manufacturer of the Manitou pontoon brand.

An established and growing brand based in Lansing, MI, the family-owned Manitou business is best known for innovative patent-protected technology across its entire lineup, with a brand that is associated with premium luxury and performance. Manitou is considered a pioneer in the evolution of the pontoon thanks to its patented V-TOON® technology, an industry game-changer for planing, performance, and efficiency. Manitou employs approximately 160 people and has a network of around 150 dealers across Canada and the US.

"The announcement of the acquisition of Manitou is the logical next step in the roll-out of our global marine strategy," said José Boisjoli, BRP President and CEO. "We are thrilled to welcome a company with such potential and its entire team to the BRP family. Together, we will strive to transform the industry and become a leading marine company."

As the second boat acquisition complementing the outboard engine portfolio, Manitou’s addition to the Marine Group further solidifies BRP’s position in this market. The addition of Manitou will enable the company to, over time, continue to transform the customer experience, drive opportunities for dealers, provide overall efficiencies to the new BRP Marine Group and bring innovation to the marine industry.

"Manitou’s strong brand, high quality pontoons and recognized technology made it a natural fit for BRP’s newly formed Marine Group," said Tracy Crocker, President of the Marine Group. "With the acquisition of Manitou, we are strengthening our marine portfolio by entering the fastest growing segment in the boat industry."

The transaction remains subject to certain customary closing conditions and is expected to be completed in the third quarter of BRP’s fiscal year 2019.

For additional information on Manitou, visit manitoupontoonboats.com

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:27 am

If ever I buy a pontoon-tritoon, I would get a Manitou.
I've been through their plant near Lansing and sold them some air moving equipment. They have a nice facility; they make great boats.

I wonder if the E-TEC engines will be as good as the command thrust pushing these heavy boats.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

Todd

Re: BRP Acquires Alumacraft, Manitou

Postby Todd » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:02 am

Manitou is a client of my executive search firm, Hiring Solutions LLC. We placed their CFO a few years ago and the consultant who worked on the search ended up buying a tri-toon from them. It has a 150HP E-TEC engine which he reports pushes the craft very nicely. They boat in the Les Cheneaux islands near Cedarville in Michigan's upper peninsula. He's hoping he might now get a good deal on a Ski-Doo snowmobile now.