Attaching a Console

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Helgagpataki

Attaching a Console

Postby Helgagpataki » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:31 pm

I’m looking for options to securing a new console to the deck of my 1990 MONTAUK. I have been thinking about affixing wood to the deck, then securing the console to the wood by through bolting on all four sides of the console. My concern: how to secure the wood to the deck.

Has anyone used toggle bolts to secure larger items to the deck of a Boston Whaler?

Thanks

Phil T

Re: Attaching a Console

Postby Phil T » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:07 pm

There is embedded wood in the floor of the boat for this reason.

The standard Montauk console was installed using a L shaped aluminum bracket using screws. I would use bolts and washers for the console to bracket and screws for the bracket to floor.

Wood Locating Diagram - http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/16-17/graphics/17wood1190x743.jpeg
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Helgagpataki

Postby Helgagpataki » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:51 pm

Thanks. I have thought about [using] screws. But there are a lot of pressures put on a console, and I want to be sure it is secure and won't go anywhere. Fastening with just screws makes me nervous.

dtmackey

Postby dtmackey » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:24 pm

My 28 year old Mako was previous a Florida Marine Patrol boat and I'm sure it wasn't babied at all. The console is held to the deck with nothing more than #14 x 4-inch stainless pan head sheet metal screws around the perimeter--lots of them. The t-top is also bolted to the console, adding to the stresses, and it has never once moved, nor a single loose screw in the more than 12-years I've owned it. I've been in seas coming in from offshore; the boat just takes it.

I think screws will be much stronger than you think. Most consoles are held in place with just that. Toggle bolts--I thinking your asking for trouble and possible water intrusion over time. Lots of fasteners spread the forces so that no single screw is under a large load.

D-

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:36 pm

Helgagpataki wrote:Has anyone used toggle bolts to secure larger items to the deck of a Boston Whaler?

I do not recall any mention of using toggle boats as fasteners to attach something to the deck in the cockpit of a Boston Whaler. Boston Whaler does not employ this method, which should be an indication of their opinion of it.

Boston Whaler embeds reinforcement material under the laminate of the deck in areas where sheet metal screw fasteners will be used to attach items to the cockpit deck. For really high stress areas, the reinforcement material may be melamine sheet or even aluminum sheet. Those materials can be tapped and threaded, and machine screws will be used for attachment fasteners.

Oldslowandugly

Postby Oldslowandugly » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:02 am

I did as you mentioned. I made a mahogany base for the console and used stainless wood screws to attach it to the deck. I further fortified it by using 3M 5200 to glue the wood to the deck. The console was then attached to the wood with pan headed stainless wood screws and fender washers. So far it has been a solid success. This is a pic of when I first began working on the bare hull and with the console in place. ImageImage

Binkster

Postby Binkster » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:44 pm

In order to use a toggle bolt you need a hollow space under the deck and they are best used for bolting a shelf to a wall, and I don't ever remember seeing a stainless steel toggle bolt.
rich