Warranty

A conversation among Whalers
ceejay1066

Warranty

Postby ceejay1066 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:43 pm

I am the new proud owner of a 2013 130 Super Sport. I purchased it used. I have found that the floor had some soft spots and the hull had formed a small smooth indentation. I took it to the dealer. They in turn assessed the situation and then contacted Boston Whaler for permission to fix under warranty. It has been at the dealership for a month now and I have been given several updates along the way. Boston Whaler agreed along the way that it was caused by a bad mix of foam at the manufacturing stage that has caused air pockets in the hull. As that air heats up it expands and tries to escape. In turn making lumps and indentations in the weaker spots around the floor or hull. After agreeing with the dealership that it is a bad manufacturing job, they are now denying the warranty claim because the previous owner had it registered under their business.

I am at a loss as to why it should matter how it is registered, If Boston Whaler agrees that it is bad manufacturing, then you would think they would honor the claim. Obviously, this is no longer the Boston Whaler brand that we all remember.

Jefecinco

Re: Warranty problems

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:55 am

I believe when a vehicle or vessel is registered as a business asset it is presumed to be used for business or commercial service. Often the warranty terms for commercial use are far more limited than the warranty for recreational or personal use and coverage is for a shorter period.

Although that may seem unfair manufacturers have learned that commercial use is much more rigorous than recreational use.

Do you know to what use your 13 was subjected by the seller?

Sometimes elevating an appeal for warranty service to a higher corporate level can be successful. If your dealer has not done so or is unwilling to do so you should consider giving it a try. At this point you have little to lose. Perhaps enclosing a letter from the seller describing the boats past use and maintenance would be helpful to an appeal.
Butch

kwik_wurk

Re: Warranty problems

Postby kwik_wurk » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:24 pm

Also ask if said business entity was intended solely for boat assets used privately. It’s common for larger boats(or airplanes) to entity owned for a variety of reasons. (Quite possible the 13 was a ‘tender to’ or something similar.). — If so a quick letter from prior owner will work.

And do agree that warranties are very specific about commercial use. I was about to buy a used Grady White with a repowered 1yr new 300hp, but found the warranty was basically useless as the motor was purchased (and registered) for commercial use. (I ended up passing altogether as it was one of the earliest new-block designs.)

jimh

Re: Warranty

Postby jimh » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:48 pm

The warranty clearly stipulates the coverage provided. After reading the warranty there should not be a loss in understanding about its terms. If the warranty exempts a certain type of use, then those are the terms.