Flip up transducer bracket for Garmin Echomap

Electrical and electronic topics for small boats
Gundalow

Flip up transducer bracket for Garmin Echomap

Postby Gundalow » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:08 pm

My Montauk is beached at low tide while moored to my dock. I would like to find a transducer bracket that will allow me to flip up the Garmin Echomap Chirp 74DV transducer when the boat is moored. The Garmin bracket is not designed for flipping up the transducer against the transom when the transducer is not needed. Garmin advises that there are transducer brackets that allow the transducer to be flipped up when not in use but company policy prevents them from making recommendations.

Does anyone know a suitable replacement for the Garmin bracket that would allow me to protect the transducer when the boat is grounded?
Thanks
Seacoast, NH- 1986 Montauk with 1986 Yamaha 90 hp 2 Stroke

jimh

Re: Flip up transducer bracket for Garmin Echomap

Postby jimh » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:58 pm

Gundalow

Postby Gundalow » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:07 am

jimh wrote:Perhaps this link may be useful:

https://www.transducershieldandsaver.co ... k-bracket/

Thanks, however it appears that this device will return transducer to operational setting once force is removed which leads me to believe it won’t be suitable. I definitely need one that stays in the up position until ready for use. I may have to experiment with the Garmin CV23M-TM transducer bracket which secures the transducer with 2 bolts and nuts. Perhaps one long bolt with lock washers and wing nut will allow me to release tension on the transducer for raising and lowering.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:26 am

If the bottom where your boat is moored is not hard and if the transducer is mounted at the customary height on the transom it should not harm it to sit on the bottom. If the transducer is muddy it will self clean while the boat is underway.

I have more experience than I care to admit with our hull finding the bottom in both sand and mud. The transducer remains undamaged. Not even an encounter with an oyster bed did it any harm although the hull now has some shallow scratches.

Our transducer bracket is very well attached to the hull and is sealed with Boat Life caulk.
Butch

Gundalow

Postby Gundalow » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:22 pm

BUTCH--thanks for your insight.

My boat gets beached on primarily mud with some oyster and clam shell fragments. If it’s a windy day, the stern will strike bottom repeatedly at low tide until the tide recedes, and the boat is completely grounded. Perhaps my Garmin transducer will tolerate these conditions, but my thoughts are to eliminate all chances for damage with a flip-up bracket.

Today I picked up a stainless steel 5/16 x 2-inch bolt with nylon spacer, lock washers, and wing nut to experiment with on my Garmin Echomap Chirp 74DV transducer bracket. If this works I’ll post results as others may benefit from this reasonably priced, simple modification.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:38 am

Perhaps the $110 transom SONAR transducer bracket with mechanical elevator and set-screw holding device, described in the hyperlink below, may be useful for you:

https://www.fishntech.com/transom_transducer_holder.html

Gundalow

Postby Gundalow » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:33 am

jimh wrote:Perhaps the $110 transom SONAR transducer bracket with mechanical elevator and set-screw holding device, described in the hyperlink below, may be useful for you:

https://www.fishntech.com/transom_transducer_holder.html

Thanks for link!