Bottom Paint Recommendation

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Maverick

Bottom Paint Recommendation

Postby Maverick » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:06 am

I am gearing up to paint the bottom of late model 240 Outrage. I want to bottom paint to mitigate algae and barnacle growth in an extreme high-growth canal environment.

I've been considering Pettit with approximately 65% copper in it, and a couple other brands with less!copper, approximately 25% and 45%.

Based on your own experience, what recommendations on brand and copper content would you offer?

Also: RED or WHITE?

Boat is factory trimmed in red, and I was thinking a red bottom paint, or possibly white. Suggestions?

Thanks, Mav

dtmackey

Re: Seeking Bottom Paint Recommendations

Postby dtmackey » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:08 pm

I'm in the Northest and use a generic high-copper-content ablative paint, and it's worked great over the years. It's a multi-season and being ablative, it minimizes buildup over the years.

I would focus on an ablative paint, and if you want a waterbased paint, I've heard great things about Petit Hydrocoat. My friend uses it and swears by that bottom paint.

You may want to consider a barrier coat before bottom paint if the boat stays in the water for long periods of time. Some boats are more apt to have osmotic blistering with the gelcoat, and this can be an expensive repair. I can say that no boat I've owned has ever been barrier coated, and this has never been an problem for me; but I do want to point out the possibility does exists.

D-

Maverick

Re: Bottom Paint Recommendation

Postby Maverick » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:44 am

Thanks, D - great input. Ablative sounds like the right direction, and I had not considered a barrier coat - will read up on that.

Red is the likely winner of the color lottery.

Appreciate the helpful feedback! Mav

kwik_wurk

Postby kwik_wurk » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:30 pm

Also be aware that various states are now phasing out copper (Cuprous Oxide) bottom paints. Which in most places is not a problem today, but maybe in 2-3 years may require going to a different type that may be incompatible. Which means stripping all the old stuff!

Micron Extra (for power boats) and or Micron 66 (for sailboats) is what I use today.

Though you don't live in Washington, a hyper link to a FYI: https://www.fisheriessupply.com/copper-free-bottom-paint-law

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:07 pm

Re use of a barrier coat to protect the fiberglass laminates and gel coat resin of a Boston Whaler boat that is being left in the water for more than a few days at a time: the Owner's Manual from the c.1980's has warnings about leaving a Boston Whaler boat hull in the water for more than a few days without applying a protective barrier coat to the portion of the hull that would be in the water. For example, see

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... tml#bottom

Here is an excerpt:

Owner's_Manual_Excerpt wrote:Any boat left in salt or fresh water for more than a few days should have the gelcoat surface protected with a two-part epoxy paint followed by an anti-fouling paint. This will retard marine growth and help protect gelcoat from possible blistering. DO NOT LEAVE YOUR BOAT IN THE WATER FOR ANY EXTENDED TIME WITHOUT BOTTOM PAINT.

In choosing the type of anti-fouling paint, consult with your friends or dealers and purchase the type most effective or most popular in your area.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:38 pm

MAV--re the color of a barrier coat: I suggest you use a shade of white that is as close as possible to the hull color.

Maverick

Postby Maverick » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:40 am

Great advice. Many thanks for the helpful input.

flymo

Postby flymo » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:40 am

Mav - you absolutely need a barrier coat, applied by a knowledgeable person who understands how to prep the hull properly. Use a product from the same company that makes the topcoat you choose and you won't have any worries about compatibility. A barrier coat of a different color will tell you when it's time to redo the topcoat.

For topcoat, best thing to do would be to check with nearby boat owners and see what has worked for them (and what hasn't).

You'll want also to take into consideration the use of the boat - some types of paint can be hauled and relaunched, others not.

The paint company websites have tons of information - very much worth a read.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:22 am

It can be useful to apply two contrasting color anti-fouling paint coats. Because it is ablative it wears off as the boat is used. When you begin seeing the contrasting color you will know it's time do do some touch up in those areas.
Butch

Acseatsri

Postby Acseatsri » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:01 am

Even if you don't barrier coat, I would at least put on 2 coats of epoxy primer which will give a great base to adhere to. I did the full barrier treatment, but other boatyards and the paint manufacturer recommended using Interprotect 2000 as a primer followed by 2 coats of Micron 66. Make sure to roll the antifouling paint while the epoxy is still tacky.

macfam

Postby macfam » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:12 pm

Yes on Barrier coat
Recommendation: Pettit Hydrocoat ECO, copper-free, water-based (easy clean up) antofouling paint.
In 75-80F salt water......fabulous!
CAN be used on metals without promoting electrolysis whic can PREVENT copper paints from proper leaching out for protection.
Expensive? Yes.
So are Boston Whalers.
Both are great values.
Best paint i’ve ever used. Period.
Available in black, green, blue red and WHITE. Quarts and gallons.

Maverick

Postby Maverick » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:01 pm

Thank you all very much for the helpful posts.

ferdinando

Postby ferdinando » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:44 am

When you mention that you should not leave your Whaler in the water without bottom protection for more then a few days, exactly how many days are we talking about? I usually leave my Whaler in the water for no more then 5 days. I have at least till now have not encountered any problems so far. I just want to be on the safe side regarding this subject!
Thanks.