Evinrude E-TEC 135 H.O. Re-power for Outrage 18/19

Optimizing the performance of Boston Whaler boats
JRP

Evinrude E-TEC 135 H.O. Re-power for Outrage 18/19

Postby JRP » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:15 pm

I am seeking input regarding the suitability of the Evinrude E-TEC 135 H.O. outboard for the Boston Whaler Outrage 18/19 model that was produced from the mid-1980s through mid-1990s. Especially welcome would be first-hand accounts from owners of Boston Whaler Outrage 18/19 models as to whether this engine proved to be a good choice for re-powering an Outrage 18/19. I am also interested to hear opinions from those who considered this engine for re-powering, but chose another alternative instead. Any experience with this engine on any boat would also be of interest. Thank you.

jimh

Re: Evinrude E-TEC 135 H.O. Re-power for Outrage 18/19

Postby jimh » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:16 pm

I don't have any first-hand experience with the Evinrude E-TEC 135 H.O. engine. In fact, I had to look up the specifications to see exactly what model it was. I see it's the 2.6-liter V6 60-degree engine, which is used for the 150-HP and 175-HP E-TEC models. I don't know exactly what the difference would be between the E-TEC 150-HP and the E-TEC 135 H.O., as I suspect they both put out about the same power. Maybe the 135 H.O. model is less expensive. Or maybe it is intended for hulls that are not rated for a 150-HP engine.

I do very much like the design of the V6 60-degree E-TEC. I think that block is really very nicely designed, and the way the air intakes and throttles fit onto it is very clean.

As you may know, I have been running an E-TEC engine on my boat since mid-2008. That's seven years of running an E-TEC and there have been no problems. I can very easily endorse the E-TEC for you. It is a good fit for a Boston Whaler boat designed for outboard engines from the 1980's because the E-TEC engine weights are generally lighter than most other choices.

The performance of an E-TEC 135 H.O. on an c.1989 OUTRAGE 18 should be good. If I were doing this I'd look at the 150-HP E-TEC. If there is a significant cost advantage to the 135 H.O. model, it might be worth cutting back the horsepower--well the rated horsepower--to save the money.

JRP

Postby JRP » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:41 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

I do not know what the price delta is between the ETEC 150 and 135 HO, but ordinarily I would be more interested in the ETEC 150 because it is the same weight as the 135 ETEC HO and is within the manufacturer's recommended HP rating for the Outrage 18/19 hull. However, in this case I am considering the ETEC 135 HO because of an opportunity to purchase a 2015 dealer demo model with 6 hours of run time, for a VERY significant discount. The engine would be treated as new for warranty purposes, and the warranty period would begin at time of purchase/installation.

My understanding is that the ETEC 135 HO is a de-tuned ETEC 150, making 148 HP per Evinrude.

Also, sometimes mentioned as an option with this engine is a "digital ICON System" (in some places I have seen this referred to loosely as a "fly-by-wire" rigging package), with which I am not familiar. Any feedback as to whether this is a desirable option on a single outboard application would be appreciated.

Do owners of the mid-range (roughly 135-250 HP) ETEC outboard engines feel it is preferable to have a remote large-capacity oil tank, or is the engine-mounted oil reservoir generally sufficient? (Here I am assuming there is an engine-mounted 2-stroke oil reservoir on these mid-range ETEC outboards?)

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:16 am

I am certainly in favor of taking advantage of substantial discounts on new outboard engines. If you can get an E-TEC 135 H.O. at a significant savings compared to an E-TEC 150, I think you should take advantage of that savings. I do not think you will be missing very much performance by choosing the 135 H.O. instead of a E-TEC 150. The only drawback I can propose for the 135 H.O. is its oil consumption rate: I believe that the models designated H.O. are often restricted from using the reducing oiling rate setting available on the non-H.O. engines. However, that may vary with the particular model, and might not be applicable to the 135 H.O. engine. Even if reduced oiling rate is not available on the 135 H.O., it would not be a deal-breaker for me. Many E-TEC owners choose to not use the reduced oiling rate.

Evinrude uses the product branding name "ICON" for many products, and this can sometimes cause confusion. There are:

--ICON gauges,
--ICON color touch screen displays, and
--ICON Electronic Throttle and Shift (ICON ETS) remote controls.

ICON gauges are NMEA-2000 gauges and can be used with any Evinrude engine having a NMEA-2000 port. For more about ICON gauges, see

ICON Gauges for E-TEC
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... auges.html

ICON color touch screen displays are intended primarily for use with the 74-degree V6 E-TEC engines. See

Evinrude ICON Touch 7.0 CTS Display
http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/003756.html

E-TEC V6 engines can be fitted with ICON Electronic Throttle and Shift (ICON ETS) remote controls. Evinrude introduced the ICON ETS controls in February 2009. For more information about Evinrude ICON ETS controls, see

Modern Electronic Remote Engine Controls
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... trols.html

The use of ICON ETS controls requires the engine to be either ordered and initially manufactured for them, or for a standard engine to be adapted to them. Kits are available from Evinrude for retro-fit of ICON ETS remote controls to standard engines. I converted my E-TEC to ICON ETS remote controls, and described the process in an article at

ICON Controls for E-TEC
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... trols.html

The ICON ETS controls are a very nice enhancement to the E-TEC. At one time Evinrude had some substantial sales incentives for purchase of rigging components bundled with a new engine purchase, and buyers could use those "rigging credits" to pay for the addition of ICON ETS controls. I think that incentive program has expired. When it was in effect, it was a very big help in reducing the cost of going to the ICON ETS remote controls. Without the incentive, I suspect the cost of ICON ETS controls may be a factor in selecting that option for many buyers. They are not cheap.

Peter

Postby Peter » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:20 am

There is no engine mounted reservoir on any E-TEC above 90 HP.

I had a 150 HP Johnson carbureted version of the 60 degree V6 E-TEC (135 to 200 HP) on my last Outrage 18. It was a great match for the Outrage 18. The 135 HO E-TEC would be a great match for the Outrage 18 and if you can get one at a good discount, even better. It will provide the same or very similar low and mid-range performance that the 150 will provide. The only thing that will be missing versus the 150 is a couple of MPH at WOT. And chances are, if your boating conditions are like mine, there are few opportunities to run at WOT so its likely that extra top speed will not be missed.

Peter

Postby Peter » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:28 am

jimh wrote:I am certainly in favor of taking advantage of substantial discounts on new outboard engines. If you can get an E-TEC 135 H.O. at a significant savings compared to an E-TEC 150, I think you should take advantage of that savings. I do not think you will be missing very much performance by choosing the 135 H.O. instead of a E-TEC 150. The only drawback I can propose for the 135 H.O. is its oil consumption rate: I believe that the models designated H.O. are often restricted from using the reducing oiling rate setting available on the non-H.O. engines. However, that may vary with the particular model, and might not be applicable to the 135 H.O. engine. Even if reduced oiling rate is not available on the 135 H.O., it would not be a deal-breaker for me. Many E-TEC owners choose to not use the reduced oiling rate.

The 135 H.O. can be set to use the reduced oil rate setting just like the 150. Evinrude's use of the "H.O." designation is a little confusing because in some cases it is used on a motor with an output at the top of the range for a block and in other cases it is used for motors at the bottom of the range. For example, the 90 H.O., the 135 H.O. and the 200 H.O. are all the lowest output motors on their respective platforms (1.7L, 2.6L and 3.3L). They are high output, however, because they are producing more power than the numeric designation but are by no means pushing the limits of the platform.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:47 am

PETER--your explanation makes perfect sense. Thanks.

JRP

Postby JRP » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:40 am

Thank you both for the additional information -- it is all very helpful.

I am happy to hear that the performance of the ETEC 135 HO is likely well-matched to the Outrage 18/19. It would still be very helpful to hear a first hand account of an installation of an ETEC 135 HO on the Outrage 18/19. But I suspect not many have chosen it due to the superior power-to-weight ratio of the ETEC 150.

Too bad about the oil reservoir. I was hoping to eliminate the remote tank to recover storage space, which is at a premium on a boat this size (Outrage 18/19). The remote tank and associated rigging for our current Yamaha 150 2-Stroke engine fully occupies the starboard stern locker. One goal of this repower is to recover that space for storage. But I would prefer not to lose space somewhere else in order to do so.

When it was in effect, [Evinrude's promotional incentive] was a very big help in reducing the cost of going to the ICON ETS remote controls. Without the incentive, I suspect the cost of ICON ETS controls may be a factor in selecting that option for many buyers. They are not cheap.

The additional cost of this option would be a large factor for me. I can certainly see the appeal of this option, but in reading at the link JimH provided, it seems several key benefits of the ICON ETS remote controls would not apply to a sinlge engine installation on a boat with a single control station. So without a promotion such as JimH described above, it would be difficult for me to justify purchasing this option.

Are owners who declined the ICON ETS control option reasonably happy with their conventional rigging on mid-range (135-225 HP) ETEC engines?

Peter

Postby Peter » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:57 am

I think it will be difficult to find a first hand account of a 135 H.O. on an Outrage 18. The 135 H.O. motors have not been offered for nearly as long as the 150s and as such are rare in actual use.

I'm curious about the "starboard stern locker". I did not have such a thing on my Outrage 18 and so I wonder whether you have a model year 1992 or later hull. If you wish to repurpose the space, then you will have to settle for a much heavier 4-stroke if you want 150 HP on the transom or settle for lesser HP 4-stroke such as a 115 to keep the weight down. There are no motors in the 135 to 150 HP range that provide a power to weight ratio superior to the E-TEC 135 H.O. or 150.

JRP

Postby JRP » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:48 am

Peter, yes, this is a 19 Outrage II which has the same hull as the Outrage 18 but with the transom notched for a single outboard engine, and with port and starboard stern seats with lockers underneath. The port aft stern locker is empty and the location and size of this locker is very convenient for routine storage on outings. So I would like to get the starboard stern locker back by eliminating the remote oil reservoir.

The current Yamaha 150 2-stroke has a spec dry weight of 430 lbs (25" shaft), plus roughly 25 lbs for the remote oil reservoir rigging filled with 11 quarts of 2-stroke oil. So we currently have total "engine weight" of about 455 lbs at the stern of the boat. I believe the weight of the 2.6L V6 ETEC 135 HO and remote oil tank would be very close to the weight of our current 2.6L V6 Yamaha 150 2-stroke w/remote oil tank. (The Yamaha does have the advantage of a 1-quart engine-mounted oil reservoir.) I would not want to hang any more weight on the transom of this boat than what we currently have there.

The competing re-power candidate is the 2.1L Mercury 115 CT 4-stroke engine, which would be less powerful but would yield a substantial weight savings (384 lbs dry engine weight for the 25" shaft CT gear case), and more importantly there would be no remote oil reservoir taking up limited storage space.

However, the opportuntiy to purchase a deeply discounted Evinrude ETEC 135 HO engine makes this option more attractive at the moment. The price of the ETEC 135 HO is a modest premium over the quoted prices I have received for the 2.1L Mercury 115 CT, yet the 2.6L V6 ETEC 135 HO engine would be substantially more powerful than the 2.1L I4 Mercury 115 CT, even if it is heavier.

Peter wrote:The 135 H.O. can be set to use the reduced oil rate setting just like the 150.

Given the option to set a reduced oil rate, how large is the remote oil tank for ETEC engines in this size range? Thank you.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:02 am

Evinrude uses the same size remote oil tanks with the E-TEC engines that were used previously: 1.8-gallon and 3-gallon.

I think the fuel tank on an 1992 OUTRAGE 19 II (which I believe is the boat being discussed here) has a 76-gallons capacity. If you use a 1.8-gallon oil reservoir tank and get a nominal oil:gasoline ratio of 1:50, you should never run out of oil if you start with a full fuel tank and a full oil tank. That is tank ratio of 1.8:76 or 1:42. If mixing at 1:50, you should have oil left in the reservoir when your fuel runs out.

As for the location of the oil reservoir tank, you could install it in the center console. You can get a remote filler cap option so it would be handier to add oil to the tank when it was somewhat buried in the center console interior.

JRP

Postby JRP » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:16 am

jimh wrote:Evinrude uses the same size remote oil tanks with the E-TEC engines that were used previously: 1.8-gallon and 3-gallon.

I think the fuel tank on an 1992 OUTRAGE 19 II (which I believe is the boat being discussed here) has a 76-gallons capacity. If you use a 1.8-gallon oil reservoir tank and get a nominal oil:gasoline ratio of 1:50, you should never run out of oil if you start with a full fuel tank and a full oil tank. That is, 1.8:76 is ratio of 1:42. If mixing at 1:50, you should have oil left in the tank when your fuel runs out.

Thank you, this is very helpful information. I'm happy to learn that Evinrude offers two sizes for remote oil tanks. The smaller 1.8 gallon remote oil tank would be preferable in my application given the limited storage space available on the 19 Outrage II, particularly if it will last for a full tank of fuel. (And yes, spec fuel tank capacity for this 1992 model is 76 gallons. However I have reason to believe the spec capacity is less than actual.)

Is the 50:1 gas/oil ratio the "reduced rate" mentioned previously by Peter?

JRP

Postby JRP » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:19 am

jimh wrote:As for the location of the oil reservoir tank, you could install it in the center console. You can get a remote filler cap option so it would be handier to add oil to the tank when it was somewhat buried in the center console interior.

I do not like the idea of giving up space in the center console storage area, either, but I suppose that is where it would have to end up in order to recover the starboard aft locker space. The remote filler cap would be handy. Is that an Evinrude option or aftermarket? Thanks again.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:38 pm

I believe Evinrude offers the remote filler spout and cap as an accessory item. You can browse for it on

http://SHOP.EVINRUDE.COM

under the PARTS tab. Look in the category OB ACCESSORIES then select just about any model year (2010 works). Then subcategory FUEL/OIL. You'll find

REMOTE OIL FILL KIT PN 0176461 $53.99

When you get an Evinrude outboard engine you will learn to love the website SHOP.EVINRUDE.COM

hauptjm

Postby hauptjm » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:43 pm

Point of order, if I post this incorrectly, sorry. It is my first reply in the new forum - thank you Jim Hebert.

To your question/concern regarding the 135 H.O. Evinrude, I believe that engine would be perfectly fine in the Outrage 18. Having had the ETEC 150hp since 2012 and putting many, many hours on that platform, I have been extremely pleased. I think many of us in the 18 ft. hull range wished we could free up space with these oil reservoirs, but the truth is, we can not. I considered moving it to the center console, but declined based on the fear that as a component to the critical operation of my motor, I wanted it to be as close and unobstructed as possible. That's me and you may feel more secure in having it further away, but I did not.

In either case, if you can get the 135hp H.O. for a good price, then by all means do it. You'll love it.

JRP

Postby JRP » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:38 am

Thanks to all for the very helpful info. The Evinrude Parts link is definitely handy -- I had not come across that yet on their website.

At this point I have gathered enough information to make an informed decision. But if someone should happen upon this thread who has first-hand experience with the ETEC 135 HO model, please feel free to chime in with comments. If I end up with this ETEC 135 HO engine, I will certainly add my own comments once I have gained some experience with the engine.

P.S. I did have one additional question for ETEC owners regarding comparative fuel economy. I am wondering how the fuel consumption rate of a 2.6L V6 ETEC 135 HO might compare to the fuel consumption rate of my current 2.6L V6 Yamaha 150 (2-stroke, carbureted)? I am not looking for precise numbers, but rather a general idea about whether I should expect comparable/better/much better/worse/etc fuel economy? In other words, will this modern 2-stroke ETEC design be more fuel efficient than my c. 1992 2-stroke engine, even though it is roughly the same power/displacement? Thanks again.
Last edited by JRP on Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter

Postby Peter » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:43 am

Depending on how you use your boat, you could see your fuel and oil consumption cut by 1/3 to 1/2 as compared to your Yamaha carbureted 150 2-stroke. A 2.6L carbureted V6 150 2-stroke will consume fuel at more than 1 GPH at idle. A 2.6L E-TEC will consume about 0.2 GPH at idle. The more time you spend off plane, the greater the difference in overall consumption.

JRP

Postby JRP » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:39 am

We spend a fair bit of time cruising in no wake zones and fishing (at about 5 knots -- not idle speed but in the low 1000s rpm). So based on the information Peter provided, it sounds like we should expect to see marked improvement in fuel economy with the ETEC 135 HO. Thanks for that feedback.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:43 am

Several years ago I changed to an E-TEC 225-HP engine from an Evinrude carburetor 225-HP engine. The reduction in fuel consumption has been significant. I reported some data on reduced fuel consumption with the E-TEC in these threads from The Old Forum:

E-TEC Improves Fuel Economy 67-Percent
http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/006855.html

E-TEC 225-HP Fuel Economy
http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/007302.html

I think you will find those two discussion are packed with interesting data and anecdotes.

After using the E-TEC for many season, I see the average fuel economy is around 3-MPG, varying as a function (as Peter notes) of the amount of time spent at idle or low speeds. (That is, the more idle or low speed time, the better the average MPG because the engine gets great fuel economy at low speeds.)

The average fuel economy of the equivalent traditional two-cycle carburetor engine on the same boat was around 1.8-MPG, varying inversely with the amount of time spent at idle. (That is, the more low speed operation the worse the MPG, as the fuel economy at low speeds is terrible with the old carburetor engines.)

If you compare the fuel economy at optimum cruising speeds, the E-TEC is still much improved, typically getting about 2.7 to 2.8 MPG while the old carburetor engine would top out at 2-MPG.

The E-TEC and its digital EMM will record your engine speed and time spent at various ranges, and from this you will learn, probably to your surprise, that the majority of the engine's running time is spent at idle speed or off-plane speeds.

Marko888

Postby Marko888 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:00 am

As the original poster asked also for those who considered the E-TEC 135 HO, but chose another, I'll add my thoughts.

I re-powered my 1985 Outrage 18 in the spring of 2014. The new engine replaced the original 1985 Johnson 150 V6. I read and researched obsessively and narrowed my search down to either the Evinrude 135 HO or Suzuki DF140A, and in the end chose the Suzuki.

My reasoning included:
- I never ran the old 150 WOT, most of the time cruising in the range of 30-35 mph, so do not need a 48 mph boat.
- I wanted the lightest available engine, at or close to 150 hp.
- Reliability was priority one, outright performance #2
- A quiet idle was important, as we wanted to troll with the main engine
- I wanted fine idle speed control, such as Suzuki Troll Mode

In my research, I concluded that the E-TEC 135 H.O. (or 150) would be the best pure performance choice, but had a few of disadvantages, namely:
- required an oil tank in the splash well or console, consuming some storage space
- required the expensive ICON Electronic Throttle and Shift (ICON ETS) rigging to get fine idle speed control
- my research indicated a slightly higher chance of having a minor problem or two with this engine
- higher fuel consumption compared to the Suzuki

The Suzuki also had a few disadvantages, but I ultimately found them to be less significant...TO ME.
- less torque output, perhaps requiring I own two propellers, one for light loads, one for heavy loads (this turned out to be true)
- increased maintenance (mainly engine oil changes)
- slower holeshot and lower top speed

The Suzuki advantages included
- lighter overall package by approximately 35-lbs
- extremely quiet and fuel efficient. I can cruise at 30-MPH on 4.25-GPH
- Troll Mode option costs only $150 extra
- exceptional resale value in my region

Now that I've run the Suzuki DF140A for twp seasons, and 176 hours, I can add:
- holeshot is just fine, typically about three seconds to plane
- It is extremely quiet and pleasant at idle
- With my heavy loads prop, top speed is about 40-MPH. My light loads prop tops out at 44mph; these figures observed on a lake, and 1140-feet elevation, measured by GPS.
- We use 50% (or less) fuel compared to the 1985 Johnson V6
- Troll Mode works very well for fishing
- It feels like a Goldilocks engine on an Outrage 18
- I do occasionally miss the "instant boost" of two-stroke power at low RPM
- The Suzuki is VERY responsive at cruise RPM

Marko888
Mark
1984 Outrage Cuddy 22

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:27 am

Cruising at 30-MPH and only burning 4.25-GPH suggests a fuel economy of 7-MPG, which seems very, very good.

I believe the Suzuki DF140A is the most popular engine in the Suzuki line. It is really their high-output 115-HP engine, a high-performance version of their standard 115-HP model, and both are based on a 2.0-liter in-line four-cylinder block.

A comparable E-TEC might be the 1.7-liter V4 E-TEC called the 115 H.O., which probably delivers more than 115-HP. That engine weighs 405-lbs, and would be lighter than the Suzuki DF140A (407-lbs).

I am not familiar with the Suzuki Troll option. I presume it is an electronic engine speed controller for low RPM ranges.

The Evinrude ICON ETS controls are much more than just for trolling speed use, but, I agree, they are expensive. The E-TEC engines will idle very nicely at around 500-RPM. And they will really sip fuel at that engine speed, using a stratified charge combustion chamber mode.

I do like the Suzuki four-cycle engines. Suzuki changed the outboard engine marketplace by being the first manufacturer to move to an all-four-cycle outboard engine line from having been a maker of two-cycle outboard engines, and they upset the status quo in outboard engine warranty with their six-year warranty promotions. If there were good dealer support, I'd have no qualms about owning a Suzuki. And in some areas of the USA, they really have a strong market presence.

JRP

Postby JRP » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:44 pm

I appreciate the additional feedback regarding E-TEC fuel economy and the comparison of the E-TEC 135 H.O. to the Suzuki DF140A. I'm sure I'd be very happy with either of these engines, as their respective pros and cons seem to balance out in the end (my usage would be similar to Marko, i.e. top speed is not a high priority.)

One aspect that does not appeal to me, though, is the need to swap props. I would prefer to have an engine/propeller combination that works reasonably well in most conditions and circumstances.

All this is moot if I can't find a buyer for my 1992 Yamaha 150 HP two-cycle engine (in very good condition) before the opportunity to purchase the 135 H.O. demo engine disappears. My budget does not allow me to own both engines, and since the Yamaha 150 is in top operating condition, I have no justification for going out and purchasing a second engine before the first is sold.

Thanks again to everyone for the very helpful input. I will update the thread if I end up with this E-TEC 135 H.O. Even if I don't, I feel much better educated now to weigh the pros and cons of an E-TEC engine verse other options.

Marko888

Postby Marko888 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:03 am

In lieu of the responses to my post, I'll add a few qualifiers for the DF140A option.

4.25 GPH at 30-MPH was achieved with one-third-full fuel tank, basic safely gear, and just me and my lovely wife aboard using my 14x20 Stiletto Advantage prop. This is my light-load setup, and it would be the choice if just one all-around prop was desired.

My second prop is a 14x18 Stiletto Advantage. I prefer this one when offshore, as it "gears down" the engine for more grunt when in heavy seas. It also allows me to troll slower when salmon fishing, and provides hole shot very similar to that of my old V6. My best cruise fuel burn with this prop is 28mph on 4.75 us GPH. The boat will perform very well with pretty much any load, but when lightly loaded, it's pretty easy to hit the rev limiter at 6500 rpm. The boat is certainly under propped with this setup.

I tried the 20p once with 5 adults and 3/4 tank of fuel aboard. The boat took about 5-6 seconds to get on plane--in a more typical 4-stroke fashion.

Troll Mode is exactly as JimH suspects. An electronic throttle via toggle button, increasing or decreasing engine speed in 50-RPM increments, from the 650-RPM idle up to 1200-RPM.

Although I'm very happy with my engine choice, it is a compromise. Propped using the usual "WOT rpm with a typical load" approach, hole shot suffers. Propped for hole shot, the engine runs out of revs before running out of power. This is why I think the V6 E-TEC is the better pure performance choice.
Mark
1984 Outrage Cuddy 22

JRP

Postby JRP » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:35 am

Thanks for that additional info concerning propeller choices, Marko. Our current Yamaha 150 has a 4-blade stainless steel prop, 14.5" diameter x 17" pitch. Based on what you are running with the DF140A, it sounds like my current prop falls somewhere between your light and heavy load choices. I was hoping my current prop would work well on the ETEC 135 HO. But "full throttle" RPM range on the 1992 Yamaha 150 tops at 5500, whereas on the ETEC 135 HO it tops at 6000 rpm. So I expect the current prop won't be a perfect match.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:30 am

Considering the following factors:

--the present engine is if good condition, runs well, and exhibits good performance,

--the cost of a new replacement modern engine is staggering,

--the present value of the present engine if sold off will only offset a portion of the new engine cost, and

--the present cost of gasoline fuel in the USA is about $2.30-per-gallon,

then it is hard to make a good case for buying a new engine. You will take almost forever to repay the cost of the new engine in savings from improved fuel economy, assuming you operate your boat as a typical recreational boater. Even if you operated the boat at a much higher rate of use, say hundreds of hours per year, the saved costs of fuel would still take years to repay your investment in the new engine.

JRP

Postby JRP » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:59 pm

jimh wrote:Considering the following factors:

--the present engine is if good condition, runs well, and exhibits good performance,

--the cost of a new replacement modern engine is staggering,

--the present value of the present engine if sold off will only offset a portion of the new engine cost, and

--the present cost of gasoline fuel in the USA is about $2.30-per-gallon,

then it is hard to make a good case for buying a new engine. You will take almost forever to repay the cost of the new engine in savings from improved fuel economy, assuming you operate your boat as a typical recreational boater. Even if you operated the boat at a much higher rate of use, say hundreds of hours per year, the saved costs of fuel would still take years to repay your investment in the new engine.

Believe me, I have seen the prices on these engines, and I would readily agree that given current fuel prices and the amount of hours we would put on an engine, there is no way to justify their purchase price based on improved fuel economy! For the price spread between what the old engine might sell for, and what a new engine would cost, I could purchase all our fuel for the next 12-15 years.

The purpose of re-powering would primarily be for peace-of-mind. We're hoping to take this boat on some more ambitious and remote family excursions, and I will go from hero to zero in a flash if an engine failure leaves us stranded somewhere.

My questions about MPG/fuel economy were more to understand how consumption and range would be affected by upgrading to a modern 2- or 4-stroke outboard engine. Eventually the below-deck tank on this Outrage 19 will need to be replaced, and the possibility of downsizing the tank to reduce weight and free-up storage space is attractive if the re-powered boat could still have comparable or superior range with less tankage.

flymo

Postby flymo » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:25 pm

Quite right - improved range is a benefit of modern outboards with improved fuel economy that is often overlooked in repower discussions. For anyone who spends a lot of time trolling, the difference is really dramatic. On a family boat, the reduced noise and smell is also significant.

F

JRP

Postby JRP » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:35 am

As an update, I did not end up purchasing the dealer-demo engine that prompted me to begin this thread. I was not able to find a purchaser for my Yamaha in time to make that deal go through.

However, I continue to consider the E-TEC 135 H.O. engine as a possible option for repowering.

Peter wrote:The 135 H.O. can be set to use the reduced oil rate setting just like the 150.

Because the subject of reduced oiling came up earlier in this thread, I wanted to provide some additional information. In my on-going research, I have learned that the 135 H.O. and 150 H.O. E-TEC engines do not offer the reduced oiling setting. Instead, they are set at the factory for the TCW3 setting, with no factory option to change the setting. Additionally, these engines require use of the XD100 oil, even though they are operating in the TCW3 oiling mode.

This is different from the standard E-TEC 150 engine, which DOES have a reduced oiling option as well as the option to use TCW3 oil in TCW3 mode.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:24 am

JRP wrote:...I have learned that the 135 H.O. and 150 H.O. E-TEC engines do not offer the reduced oiling setting. Instead, they are set at the factory for the TCW3 setting, with no factory option to change the setting. Additionally, these engines require use of the XD100 oil, even though they are operating in the TCW3 oiling mode.

Wow--that is very unusual. I never heard of any E-TEC engine being limited to only using the XD100 oil all operating condition. What was the source for that information?

I do not believe what you've been told. I think it is wrong.

If Evinrude (or any manufacturer) sells a product and tells the consumer that the product requires only a certain brand of accessory in order to operate, then the manufacturer would have to supply that accessory with the product. In other words, if Evinrude sold an outboard that they said can only be operated on the Evinrude XD100 oil, then Evinrude would have to supply that oil to the customer. This comes from the notion of a prohibition of mandatory tie-in sales as regulated by the FTC.

Evinrude does highly recommend use of their XD100 oil in all the E-TEC engines, but, as far as I know--and according to my very well-informed dealer--there is no E-TEC that must only use XD100.

There is a lot of confusion about this topic. The confusion originates because if the consumer chooses to select the reduced oiling feature, then only XD100 can be used.

Also, on many models designated H.O. there is no option to use reduced oiling. This is because the notion of being a high-output engine carries the inference that the engine is going to be operated at high throttle settings most of the time. For that reason, the option of reduced oiling is not available on those models. But, again, I never heard of any E-TEC that requires it must always be run on XD100. That is my understanding, based on my dealer's understanding--and he is really an expert on this.

JRP

Postby JRP » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:43 am

jimh wrote:What was the source for that information?

The initial source for the lack of a reduced oiling setting on the 135HO and 150HO engines was an Evinrude tech-rep at their facility in Wisconsin. This particular factory tech-rep happened to own a 135HO and operates it on his personal boat. So he was very familiar with the engine.

In subsequent conversations with two different local Evinrude dealers, I was also apprised of the factory requirement to use XD100 oil at all times with these two engine models (135HO and 150HO), even though they are operating in TCW3 oiling mode. I suppose both these dealers could be mistaken, but it seems unlikely since they were each seperately definitive on the question.

From my personal vantage, I would be pleased to learn that the information concerning the requirement to use XD100 oil in the 135HO engine is mistaken. I do no mind the lack of an XD100 reduced oiling setting, but a requirement to nevertheless use the XD100 oil is irksome.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:54 am

Re tie-in sales, see

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/busines ... nuson-Moss

and see the section under the heading "Tie-In Sales" Provisions. It says, in part:

Generally, tie-in sales provisions aren’t allowed. That’s a provision that requires a consumer to buy an item or service from a particular company to keep their warranty coverage....However, a warrantor can require a consumer to use select items or service if they’re provided free of charge under the warranty.

This is the basis for the notion that if Evinrude required use of their specialty XD100 oil (to maintain the warranty provisions), then Evinrude would have to provide it free of charge.

JRP

Postby JRP » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:35 am

Perhaps Evinrude only requires use of "XD100 or equivalent"? If there is an aftermarket alternative to XD100, then that would certainly get Evinrude off the hook with respect to the FTC proscription. Even if there isn't an equivalent available as yet, they may be able to skirt the law by allowing use of an equivalent should one be available.

Given the uncertainty that the FTC restriction suggests, I will contact the factory tech-rep again and seek clarification.

However, the more important piece of information here is that there is no factory option for an XD100 reduced-oiling setting for the 135HO engine I am considering as a repower option. I hope this is useful information to others considering this engine for their boat.

JRP

Postby JRP » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:28 pm

JRP wrote:Perhaps Evinrude only requires use of "XD100 or equivalent"? If there is an aftermarket alternative to XD100, then that would certainly get Evinrude off the hook with respect to the FTC proscription. Even if there isn't an equivalent available as yet, they may be able to skirt the law by allowing use of an equivalent should one be available. ...

It seems there is at least one aftermarket equivalent to Evinrude's XD100 oil. Assuming Evinrude allows for an "or equivalent" (which is customary practice), Evinrude would have no reason to be concerned about the FTC tie-in provisions cited above.

Amsoil HP Marine Synthetic: http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/2-stroke/hp-marine-synthetic-2-stroke-oil/?code=HPMQT-EA
Last edited by JRP on Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JRP

Postby JRP » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:29 pm

JRP wrote:
JRP wrote:Perhaps Evinrude only requires use of "XD100 or equivalent"? If there is an aftermarket alternative to XD100, then that would certainly get Evinrude off the hook with respect to the FTC proscription. Even if there isn't an equivalent available as yet, they may be able to skirt the law by allowing use of an equivalent should one be available. ...

It seems there is at least one aftermarket equivalent to Evinrude's XD100 oil. Assuming Evinrude allows for an "or equivalent" (which is customary practice), Evinrude would have no reason to be concerned about the FTC tie-in provisions cited above.

Amsoil HP Marine Synthetic: http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/2-stroke/hp-marine-synthetic-2-stroke-oil/?code=HPMQT-EA
Last edited by JRP on Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JRP

Postby JRP » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:32 pm

JRP wrote:...
... I will contact the factory tech-rep again and seek clarification. ...

I just spoke again with the same Evinrude factory tech-rep with whom I had spoken previously. He seems extremely knowledgeable about these engines. Although he believed he knew the answer off the cuff, he even went to the extra effort of locating the operator's manual for the ETEC 135HO and reading the oil specification directly from it.

While the manual says that use of XD100 is recommended, it stipulates that an XD100 or TCW3 certified oil is permissible. Regardless of which oil is used, it will be delivered at the TCW3 setting.

So I would say that settles it. Thank you to JimH for questioning this second piece of information. It seems there is a lot of confusion among dealers about this concern -- possibly due to the different requirements of these 135HO and 150HO engine versions with respect to oiling.

An additional aspect I discussed with the Evinrude Tech rep concerned the amount of oil savings typically seen when using the XD100 reduced oiling setting (i.e. in those engines, such as the ETEC 150, that offer it.) He indicated that using the XD100 setting generally results in oil consumption reductions of 10-15% over the standard TCW3 setting.

This reduction in consumption is less significant than I had supposed it would be. Consequently, the lack of an XD100 setting on the 135HO model is not a deal breaker in my book, especially with the confirmation that using a TCW3 oil (eg XD50) is acceptable.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:15 pm

I cannot offer any truly informed comment or opinion about how Evinrude feels regarding the equivalency of another product to their XD100 oil. I can only offer my suspicion that when Evinrude states (here I assume they do state this somewhere) that only XD100 can be used when the customer opts for the option of the reduced oiling, they mean precisely that, only XD100, and not something else.

Note that you can use whatever oil you like with an Evinrude E-TEC engine and the only time Evinrude will have a concern is if you experience a failure and wish to make a claim of defect in original manufacture against the warranty that Evinrude offered you when you bought the engine. Evinrude would likely be able to rebut your claim against warranty if you failed to operate the engine in the manner recommended, that is, to use only XD100 oil if selecting the reduced oil setting option.

Now as for how much oil will be saved by the reduced oil option, I can offer my own experience. I have not tried to make precise measurements to any particular scientific standard, but I can say this: if the regular oil setting is to produce about a 1:50 ratio of oil:gasoline consumption, the reduced oiling setting changes that to about a 1:65 ratio. My understanding is that the effect of the reduced oiling option will vary depending on the duration of time at various engines speed in which the engine is used. For example, if you only ran the engine at idle all day, the reduced oiling might have more affect, creating perhaps a 1:75 oil:gasoline ratio. If you ran the engine close to full throttle all day, there would be little effect of reduced oiling. The engine seems to only reduce oil when it has been programmed to do it, and I presume the programming is been done so that when the engine is running at high RPM under heavy loads, they don't cut back any on the oiling.

By the way, I use XD100 oil on my E-TEC. I now have the oiling set for reduced oil consumption, but I have also run XD100 at the normal setting. Many E-TEC owners seem to think that using the highly recommended XD100 and using the standard oil setting is the best way to run the engine, that is, it will be getting the most lubrication and best lubrication with those choices.

My typical boating year is about 70-hours of operation with gasoline consumption about 4-GPH as a generous over-estimate, which suggests I will consume about 280-gallons of gasoline. At a 1:50 ratio that suggests about 5.6-gallons of oil, and a 1:65 ratio means 4.3-gallons of oil. The savings in annual oil consumption for me is then estimated to be about 1.2-gallons.

In the total cost of boat ownership, saving the cost of 1.2-gallons of oil per year is not really a major financial concern. It is probably smarter to run XD100 all the time and buy an extra 1.2-gallons of it (at about $33-per-gallon if your dealer sells it to you in bulk using your own containers). I don't think anyone is ready to abandon recreational boating over a $40/year cost.

There are additional benefits to using XD100 oil with the E-TEC. The oil burns without ash, there is very little soot in the exhaust, and there should be no carbon build-up in the engine. One of the least rational decisions a boater can make is to use the cheapest lowest-grade oil in a very expensive outboard engine.

JRP

Postby JRP » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:46 pm

jimh wrote:.. Many E-TEC owners seem to think that using the highly recommended XD100 and using the standard oil setting is the best way to run the engine, that is, it will be getting the most lubrication and best lubrication with those choices. ....

Another reason owners might maintain the TCW3 standard oiling setting is availability of XD100 oil. TCW3-rated oil is the most commonly available 2-stroke oil, and is almost universally available in chandleries. Whereas in some locations, XD100 is not readily available.

XD100 oil can be used at the TCW3 setting, but not vice versa. In other words, if an ETEC owner prefers to use XD100 but ends up low on oil without a ready supply of XD100 with which to refill the tank, it is acceptable to use a TCW3 rated oil in the interim so long as the engine is set to the TCW3 setting. But if the engine is set to the XD100 setting, then an owner could end up in a bind if he neglected to carry sufficient XD100 with him for the excursion.

In this respect, I suppose it could be argued that the 135HO has an "advantage" in that it can use either oil interchangeably, without the concern of ever being caught short of a supply of XD100 oil (or of a well-meaning friend "treating" your tank to a top off with the wrong oil!) But that might be an overzealous application of lipstick.

Maverick

Postby Maverick » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:46 pm

I bought a new 2015 ETEC 150 HO for my Guardian 18. When I took delivery, the dealer had set the motor computer for the XD-100 oil, which we discussed on the front end. He told me I could not use anything but XD-100 since the motor was set for that oil. He did say he could reset it for another type oil, but he indicated the XD-100 was ultra clean burning, and this was his recommendation.

I have about 22 hours on it so far, used about 1 gallon of oil, and it is unbelievably clean burning...very impressive compared to older 150 two strokes I have run over the years.

I paid around $35 a gallon for XD-100, and have absolutely no regrets on this choice of motor and oil.

Thanks, Mav

JRP

Postby JRP » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:37 pm

Maverick wrote:I bought a new 2015 ETEC 150 HO for my Guardian 18. When I took delivery, the dealer had set the motor computer for the XD-100 oil, which we discussed on the front end. He told me I could not use anything but XD-100 since the motor was set for that oil. He did say he could reset it for another type oil, but he indicated the XD-100 was ultra clean burning, and this was his recommendation.

I have about 22 hours on it so far, used about 1 gallon of oil, and it is unbelievably clean burning...very impressive compared to older 150 two strokes I have run over the years.

I paid around $35 a gallon for XD-100, and have absolutely no regrets on this choice of motor and oil.

Thanks, Mav

Mav,

According to the Evinrude tech-rep with whom I spoke, Evinrude does not offer the option to set the ETEC 135HO nor the 150HO to the XD100 reduced oiling setting. Either engine can use XD100 or a TCW3 oil interchangeably, but it will only be delivered at the standard TCW3 oiling mode.

So if your dealer definitely reset your engine to an XD100 reduced oiling mode, he/she must know a workaround or patch to circumvent the factory's fixed TCW3 setting. Any chance you could double check on that? It would certainly be interesting to know.

Either way, that is a very nice engine you have there.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:16 pm

While some might speculate that there is an AMSOIL oil that would be considered by Evinrude to be the equivalent of XD100, I would speculate exactly the opposite. The instructions for operating my engine make it clear that when set to use "only XD100" that only XD100 is to be used.

Here is an excerpt from the Operating Guide for my E-TEC engine:

IMPORTANT: If your EMM has been programmed for
Evinrude/Johnson XD100, DO NOT use any other oil unless
in an emergency. If Evinrude/Johnson XD100 is temporarily
unavailable, a one-time-only use of an oil that
meets NMMA TC-W3 certification standards is allowed. If
you discontinue using Evinrude/Johnson XD100, you
MUST first return to your Dealer to have the EMM reprogrammed
back to the original factory setting

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:21 pm

I don't mean to quibble endlessly about the XD100 reduced oiling, but believe both the 135 H.O. and the 150 H.O engines can run with reduced oiling. As explained above, both those engines use the 2.6-liter V6 block. That block produces 200-HP as a standard engine. When the H.O. designator is used for the lowest HP/liter models of a particular block, those engines generally can run at the reduced oiling rate. The best way to determine this would be to get the Operating Guide for the engine.

JRP

Postby JRP » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:52 pm

jimh wrote:While some might speculate that there is an AMSOIL oil that would be considered by Evinrude to be the equivalent of XD100, I would speculate exactly the opposite. The instructions for operating my engine make it clear that when set to use "only XD100" that only XD100 is to be used.

Here is an excerpt from the Operating Guide for my E-TEC engine:

IMPORTANT: If your EMM has been programmed for
Evinrude/Johnson XD100, DO NOT use any other oil unless
in an emergency. If Evinrude/Johnson XD100 is temporarily
unavailable, a one-time-only use of an oil that
meets NMMA TC-W3 certification standards is allowed. If
you discontinue using Evinrude/Johnson XD100, you
MUST first return to your Dealer to have the EMM reprogrammed
back to the original factory setting

In the second sentence above, the allowance for a "one-time-only" use is referring to a situation where your engine is set to the XD100 reduced oiling setting, but an XD100 oil is not available for refilling. It's permissable in that scenario to use the TCW3 oil in that situation without having the EMM reprogrammed.

The third sentence is saying that if your EMM is programmed for XD100 reduced oiling, you must have the EMM reprogrammed to the TCW3 setting if you plan to continue using a TCW3 oil on an on-going basis (as opposed to a one-time emergency.)

I will agree that, out of context, the first sentence could be interpreted to say that only Evinrude branded XD100 oil is permissable when XD100 oil is being used. But the totality of the paragraph under the heading "Important" is addressing the need to stick with XD100 oil if the EMM is programmed for reduced oiling, or to have the EMM reprogrammed if the owner plans to stop using an XD100 oil. In other words, the first sentence is really attempting to convey that you can't switch willy nilly between XD100 oils and TCW3 oils when your engine's EMM has been programmed to the XD100 reduced oiling setting. When read in the context of the proceeding two sentences, this is a less strained interpretation of the first sentence than the idea that it is stipulating a brand of oil to use.

In reaching that conclusion, I have the unfair advantage of having specifically discussed this question with the Evinrude factory tech rep. When I asked about aftermarket XD100 oil equivalents such as those offered by Amsoil, the Evinrude factory tech-rep explicitly said that it is permissable to use these and would not breach warranty. (Of course, he felt Evinrude's XD100 was the best choice.)

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:57 am

The way I read the first sentence is very clearly saying this: when the E-TEC has been set for ony-XD100 oil, use of oil other than XD100 is permissible only in emergency situations. I don't think you can make further inferences.

For me to believe that Evinrude endorses use of an AMSOIL product when their engine is set for XD100-only, I will have to see some quoted text from a written publication from Evinrude that clearly says that.

I don't see much point in belaboring this dispute. As I said, you can use any oil you want. It is entirely up to you. If you think there is something to be gained by not using XD100, either in saving money or getting a better oil, you are free to follow your own advice.

I must say that choice of oil for using in two-cycle water-cooled outboard engines has often been a subject of much discussion and in which many different theories of "the best oil" are held.

Maverick

Postby Maverick » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:28 pm

Friends, the attached picture is a sticker on my console door...put there when I took delivery of my new 2015 150 HO ETEC (18 Guardian). Dealer told me that is what he programmed the motor to run on...told me not to use anything else unless it was reprogrammed. As I wrote above, I'm really pleased with the performance in all respects.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (36.88 KiB) Viewed 32929 times

JRP

Postby JRP » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:46 pm

Maverick wrote:Friends, the attached picture is a sticker on my console door...put there when I took delivery of my new 2015 150 HO ETEC (18 Guardian). Dealer told me that is what he programmed the motor to run on...told me not to use anything else unless it was reprogrammed. As I wrote above, I'm really pleased with the performance in all respects.

Mav, very interesting!

Of course, more definitive confirmation will come when you have an "Engine History Report" generated next time you have the engine in for service. There is a field on the report which indicates the oil ratio to which the EMM has been programmed. If it has been re-programmed to reduced oiling, then that field should indicate "XD100."

Given what I have been told by the Evinrude tech rep with whom I spoke, my only real concern would be that the dealer may have installed a patch that is not factory authorized for an ETEC 150HO engine and could be a problem for warranty. To allay any concerns, you might inquire with Evinrude customer service, and ask to speak with a tech rep familiar with your engine model. If you do, please report back on what you learn and maybe we can resolve the inconsistent info coming from Evinrude (dealers, factory) concerning reduced oiling and the 135HO/150HO engines.

Maverick

Postby Maverick » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:53 pm

Well, I don't ever plan to use anything but XD-100, so shouldn't be a problem. I was able to pick up a few extra gallons of it at a good deal with a special Evinrude sale coupon, so I figure I'm good for a few more years of running until it goes to the dealer for a check up.

Yeah, the dealer did tell me that he could run a printout showing all about engine history...how many times it had been shifted into F or Reverse, idling time, etc. Pretty neat technology... Thanx, Mav

JRP

Postby JRP » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:58 am

Maverick wrote:Well, I don't ever plan to use anything but XD-100, so shouldn't be a problem. I was able to pick up a few extra gallons of it at a good deal with a special Evinrude sale coupon, so I figure I'm good for a few more years of running until it goes to the dealer for a check up.

Yeah, the dealer did tell me that he could run a printout showing all about engine history...how many times it had been shifted into F or Reverse, idling time, etc. Pretty neat technology... Thanx, Mav

Mav, just to be clear, it isn't a question of using the XD100 oil. There is no concern with using the XD100 oil with your engine -- in fact it's recommended regardless. The question is whether that oil should be delivered at the reduced oiling setting? Per the factory tech rep with whom I spoke, it should not be on a 150HO engine.

And I don't think you would have a problem, either. If there is a warranty problem with using reduced oiling on the 150HO engine, then responsibility should be hung on the dealership for programmimg the EMM to reduced oiling. (If that is indeed what happened -- we won't have confirmation until you see an engine history report.)

Personally, I would want to verify this question with the factory. After making such a big investment, I would not want to do anything to jeopardize the longevity of the engine -- even if it wasn't technically my fault. If something were to happen down the road when the engine is beyond warranty, I suspect it would be trickier to assign responsibility. But hopefully by contactign the factory, you would learn that everything is perfectly kosher as configured, and the concerns I've expressed are unwarranted. Let us know if you learn anything. Thanks.