Best Whaler for St John River, Jacksonville, FL

A conversation among Whalers
StJohn

Best Whaler for St John River, Jacksonville, FL

Postby StJohn » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:26 am

I would like to get a Whaler or Carolina Skiff for the St John River in Jacksonville. My objective is to be able to go out on long day trips but probably not overnight. Which model would you recommend. My budget is modest: maybe $35,000.

Thanks.

Jefecinco

Re: Best Whaler for St John River, Jacksonville, FL

Postby Jefecinco » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:05 am

It would help to know a few details. How many people do you plan to have aboard? What are your primary purposes of the boat, fishing, cruising, water sports? Do you have to have a new boat or will a used boat suit you?

Carolina Skiff has some decent products but none can compare favorably with a Boston Whaler except in price. Keep in mind that a Boston Whaler provides level flotation even when swamped (full of water) with a full load aboard.
Butch

StJohn

Postby StJohn » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:02 am

Thanks, Butch. There are usually three people aboard, and I would like [the boat] to hold six people. The primary purpose is cruising and fishing, but I would like to be able to pull a skier occasionally. And I would like to be able to do long day trips on inland waterways. The boat does not have to be new. The boat needs to be dependable.

Any advice [will be] much appreciated.

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:33 pm

St.John--your requirements are easily met by many models 15-feet or longer. Due to your budget you could probably find a nice used 180 Outrage, 180 Dauntless, or 210 Montauk. All these would be roomy for three and easily handle six--but probably not for a day.

You should work backwards: see what Boston Whaler boats are for sale at $35,000, and then determine which model is better suited for your requirements.

The Outrage and Dauntless models are more family friendly but you might find a Montauk roomier. I mentioned the 18-foot and 21-foot models because they are easier to handle than 23-foot-long or longer models.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

StJohn

Postby StJohn » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:41 pm

Many thanks. One person told me I should look for something in the 19 to 23-foot range given the rough waters in parts of where we might want to go. Your advice is helpful and much appreciated.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:17 pm

If you plan to be underway with six people for a "long day" you should get a boat with a marine toilet.

StJohn

Postby StJohn » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:08 am

Thanks, Jim - good advice.

jimh wrote:If you plan to be underway with six people for a "long day" you should get a boat with a marine toilet.