Water Drips From Hull of 1984 MONTAUK 17

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
dleopoldi914

Water Drips From Hull of 1984 MONTAUK 17

Postby dleopoldi914 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:09 pm

First year with my boat [which was later clarified to be a 1984 Boston Whaler MONTAUK 17 by a follow-up post]. [The MONTAUK 17] has been stored since December 1, 2018. My buddy at whose factory I am storing [the MONTAUK 17] sent me photos of water dripping from the hull.

I planned in the off-season to have some holes and cracks fixed and the bottom repainted. I hit a rock drifting and casting on the bow. This water is coming from the stern. In the stern some of my railings the screws came out and need to add new screws and re-bed wirh 5200 but I don’t think that can cause all this water.

So please be patient it is my first boat and as one of the least handy people ever.

I’ve googled tons of stuff on the forum and read this is a common problem. Should I drill more holes since the boat is sitting and can properly drain. Then when I go to get paint and repairs have them patched and painted?

Pics are hosted at:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AWSF6jLhowYvoUtf8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/cPRgupBPQVxp85iD7

Phil T

Re: Water Drips From Hull of Unidentified Boat

Postby Phil T » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:33 pm

Is it water draining from the bilge drain?
Check the thru bilge hull on the bottom of the keel. It may have been damaged.

You want to inspect all the drain tubes and the small rubber O ring at each end. If the O ring shows cracks, the drain tube and ring should be replaced.

...re-bed with 5200...

Ok, put down this adhesive and step away from it. There is no need to use an adhesive anywhere on this boat. You should look for a polysulfide based caulk, sealant.

Brands include:
Life Caulk
SikaFlex 291i
3M Marine Sealant

If the screw holes are stripped, there are repair techniques. Do a search.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

dleopoldi914

Postby dleopoldi914 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:36 pm

Why was my topic changed pics show it is a 17 Montauk 1983. Are pics not viewable? That is a weird place to drain water. Is there a drain under there?

I also took the boat in during pouring rain. I trailered if go the factory.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:41 pm

There is a drain in the recessed bilge pocket in front of the splashwell bulkhead that exits down, slightly off the centerline.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:41 pm

dleopoldi914 wrote:Why was my topic changed[?]

The TOPIC line is often changed to better reflect the topic of discussion; you should consider this a very normal occurrence. Your choice of the TOPIC line is not particularly exempt from review or change. If the original topic line was not particularly descriptive it will be changed.

When asking for advice about "a boat" please identify the boat by giving us the model, length, and year; we hope you are asking about a Boston Whaler boat.

dleopoldi914 wrote:Pics show it is a 17 Montauk 1983.

To require that readers follow a link to another website to discover what kind of boat you are talking about is not reasonable nor clear. The least information you must provide is a model name, a length, and a year of manufacture in the TEXT of the article you post. Also, exactly how could we deduce "the boat" was made in 1983 from seeing a picture of it if we had chosen to visit another website where you posted a picture of "the boat"?

dleopoldi914 wrote:Are pics not viewable?

No in-line images appear in your post. The ability to view a digital image depends on the browser being used. The continuouswave website cannot control what browser is used or how other websites deliver digital images.

dleopoldi914 wrote:That is a weird place to drain water.

Please elaborate on where "that" is located on the hull?

dleopoldi914 wrote:Is there a drain under there?

Please elaborate on where "there" is located on the hull.

dleopoldi914 wrote:I also took the boat in during pouring rain.

Boston Whaler boats are designed to be able to tolerate rain falling on them without harm to the hull, although continued exposure to rain will cause problems with other components of the boat, such as wood, metal, and electrical parts.

dleopoldi914 wrote:I trailered if go the factory.

I don't quite understand what you are saying. Is "the factory" the Boston Whaler plant in Edgewater, Florida?

dleopoldi914

Postby dleopoldi914 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:56 pm

Phil T wrote:There is a drain in the recessed bilge pocket in front of the splashwell bulkhead that exits down, slightly off the centerline.

Ok sounds like there is a drain where I posted the pics. I have the manual and didn’t see a drain until he pics of the hull. Seems like the puddle I posted is concentrated in one spot.

Is this correct?

When I say factory I mean I am storing at a friends factory and he is doing me a favor so don’t want to disturb him and bother him to go see the boat.

jimh

Re: Water Drips From Hull of 1984 MONTAUK 17

Postby jimh » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:00 pm

dleopoldi914 wrote:I’ve googled tons of stuff on the forum and read [water retention in the hull of a Boston Whaler boat] is a common problem.

Many people have a worry about the retention of water in the hull of their Boston Whaler boat, but I would not say that it is common for a Boston Whaler boat to have a large volume of retained water in the hull. Generally that only occurs to boats whose hulls have sustained damage, the damage was not repaired, and the boat continued to be operated in the water for long periods of time. That is not a common situation, as most Boston Whaler owners are aware of the need to immediate repair hull damage which could permit water to enter the interior hull.

I think you will benefit from reading the FAQ answer to this question:

Q3: Is There Water In My Hull?
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/FAQ/#Q3

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:06 pm

dleopoldi914 wrote:I have the manual and didn’t see a drain...

The owner's manual for a c.1984 MONTAUK 17 is reproduced in HTML in an article I wrote in the REFERENCE section. In the OPERATIONS chapter under the sub-heading DRAINS, the manual describes the location of the hull drains. See

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... drainTubes

In that same section the manual also gives advice on how to orient the boat for storage.

dleopoldi914

Postby dleopoldi914 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:08 pm

jimh wrote:I think you will benefit from reading the FAQ answer to this question:

Q3: Is There Water In My Hull?
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/FAQ/#Q3

Interesting read. Thank you for sharing. I would imagine the area where there is drip maybe drill 1/4 inch hole and see if it drains. Then when I get my fiberglass work done have him take a look around and see if any areas need glass and repair and then bottom paint.

Is there a drain the area I posted?

dleopoldi914

Postby dleopoldi914 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:10 pm

jimh wrote:The owner's manual for a c.1984 MONTAUK 17 is reproduced in HTML in an article I wrote in the REFERENCE section. In the OPERATIONS chapter under the sub-heading DRAINS, the manual describes the location of the hull drains. See

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... drainTubes

In that same section the manual also gives advice on how to orient the boat for storage.

Right but what I am thinking is a tube wouldn’t exit at the end of the boat not like a foot or two off the back that puddle seems under the hull no?

dleopoldi914

Postby dleopoldi914 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:15 pm

Here is what I have as a diagram

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LEXQMqNb12iwqi8S8

Am I missing another drain here? I know anchor locker had one. Seems like my puddle is all concentrated in one part.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:37 pm

Water dripping off the hull could run along the keel for some distance before falling off the keel to the ground.

Your knowledge of the location of the water seems to be the same as readers, that is, all you know is what you can see in the one picture showing a puddle under the boat.

If your relationship with the owner of the storage location does not permit you to easily visit and inspect the boat, then you may have to wait until you can get to the boat to discover the real source of the water drip.

Below is an image of the transom of a MONTAUK hull. This image was posted years ago to the forum by Tony Wilde, a great guy:

MontaukDrainTransom.jpg
Fig. 1. Transom of classic MONTAUK 17 showing drain locations.
MontaukDrainTransom.jpg (58.1 KiB) Viewed 10002 times

The outlets of all hull drains are quite visible and should be able to be seen by anyone with normal eyesight. Above, Phil gave a good narrative description of the location of the hull drain in the bow locker. In the manual (linked above) a further description of the location of the drains is given. The image above shows a good view of the transom with the drains clearly visible. I am not certain that there is much else to say or describe or show about the drain locations. They are not particularly hidden or difficult to find or in very unusual places.

If a Boston Whaler boat has a through-hull drain outlet that is located on the bottom of the hull on a running surface of the hull, the drain outlet will typically be covered by a clam shell vent, attached so as to shroud the leading edge of the drain to protect it from water pressure streaming against the drain, and also to create a Venturi effect to promote better suction on the drain to remove water from the sump the drain is associated with.

dleopoldi914

Postby dleopoldi914 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:49 pm

I think I will just let the professionals handle [the repair of the hull].

Here is what my local shop said to me:
local repair shop wrote:This is a very common occurrence on older whalers, and even newer ones. In the past i have attempted to repair such leaks but with not much success. The biggest problem is that the damaged area can never be dried fully to make the repair stick. Turning the boat upside down is the only way to have any chance. I have serviced some whalers for many years exhibiting the same leaks in the same areas year after year. Not once has it ever developed into anything more serious. I can try to stop the leaks having learned some new " tricks". I will certainly try. Lucky boat to be sitting in such a nice indoor setting. Stop by some day to check out some whaler projects i have going on in the shop right now.

Acseatsri

Postby Acseatsri » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:36 pm

Most likely the drain tube that goes between the sump and the transom is rotted and is allowing water to enter the foam. If this is the case, first remove any pieces of the tube still remaining. The tube was almost 15" long and was a bear to get all the old pieces of tubing out. After you have done this, jack up the trailer tongue as high as possible to force water to the lower part of the hull. I'd leave it this way as long as possible before replacing the tube. I think the tube is probably about 15" long.

Just did this with a friend's 15-foot hull that was dripping.

Two weeks ago the drop was steady, but the rate has slowed to a couple drips an hour now. I think about a gallon of water has come out since we started. If the thru-hulls are in bad shape, I'd change all of them.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:05 pm

The OP has indicated that his local repair shop has expert knowledge of the cause of the appearance of a puddle of water under the middle of his boat in storage and also has expert knowledge on how to repair it with "new tricks" learned. I don't think further advice is going to sway the OP. He has decided that he will have "a pro" repair the problem.

As I mentioned earlier, I don't have the ability to deduce the cause of the puddle by simply seeing a picture of the puddle, but I do note that the OP has said that in boating last year he "hit a rock." There might be some correlation between "hitting a rock" and having a "puddle" appear under the boat while in storage.

Willie B

Postby Willie B » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:51 pm

the OP quoting his local repair shop wrote:I can try to stop the leaks having learned some new " tricks". I will certainly try. Lucky boat to be sitting in such a nice indoor setting. Stop by some day to check out some whaler projects i have going on in the shop right now.

Would it be possible to find out what new tricks the OP have?

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:41 am

It is not the original poster who has new tricks, but his local repair man. I doubt there are any really new tricks for getting large amounts of entrapped water from the interior of a Boston Whaler Unibond hull. There has been no change in the characteristics of the hull, the foam, or the water in the last 60-years. To think that someone has invented a "trick" to remove water that has become entrapped in the broken down cells of the foam of a Boston Whaler boat hull interior is probably a misguided notion.