150 Montauk v. 158 Edgewater v. 15 Key West

A conversation among Whalers
TK3

150 Montauk v. 158 Edgewater v. 15 Key West

Postby TK3 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:09 am

I would like comments [about a comparison of a 150 MONTAUK, an Edgewater 158 boat, and a Key West 15 boat]. Please provide thoughts on best power configuration. Thank you.

I am considering up-sizing from a 13-foot Boston Whaler boat. The new boat will be used primarily to fish on Long Island Sound.

I would like to stay with an E-TEC engine but each boat manufacturer has their power preference, and a buyer has little to no control over. Boston Whaler uses Mercury, and Edgewater and Key West use Yamaha.

Dutchman

Re: 150 Montauk v. 158 Edgewater v. 15 Key West

Postby Dutchman » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:21 pm

The 3 boats you are talking about are all of the same LOA but only the Montauk 150 is a true CC. I'm not familiar with the Key West but the Edgewater and Key West boats both have bench type seating behind the Center Console and therefore you can't walk around. They are more like a BW Super Sport 150. All 3 manufacturers are proud of their boats which is reflected in their prices

The Montauk being a Brunswick division boat comes with a Mercury OB the other 2 are offered with Yamaha. Keep that in mind with your local OB dealer for future service. All three are foam filled (unsinkable) but which one has the best swamped capacity I don't know as only BW states that important fact.

The performance of all 3 are withing 1MPH of each other with the std 60HP (W) and 70HP (EW&KW). The Whaler is the heaviest of the 3 with the EW more than a 100 lbs less. This weight difference might translate into a slightly better ride.

Bottom line they are all close overall. BW has a great track record for value.
Do you want to be able to walk from stern to bow without having to step over a bench the Boston Whaler Montauk 150 is the one. Do you want to stand up fishing at the rear the BW is the only one.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

TK3

Postby TK3 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:42 pm

Thank you Dutchman. You make an excellent point about being able to walk around without having to step over a bench seat. You believe the whaler would be smoother riding because of the added weight? The dead rise in the BW is 16 degrees while Edgewater is 18, would a normal person even be able to sense that difference?

frontier

Postby frontier » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:05 pm

Stay with a Boston Whaler. Quality is well known. And for re-sale - most everybody knows what a Boston Whaler is, but most people think Edgewater is a hotel and Key West is a city in Florida.
You mentioned you'd like to stay with a Evinrude E-TEC outboard motor. Boston Whaler makes a 15' Guardian, like a 150 Montauk only a heavy duty version from the Commercial Products Division. I think they are available from the factory without an engine. You could buy one of those and have your local Evinrude dealer install a new E-TEC.

Acseatsri

Postby Acseatsri » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:52 pm

I would find something used. Going from 13-15 feet is not a very big upgrade and I think you'll have another bout of twofootitis rather soon. If this happens, you'll take a huge hit on the value when you go to sell it.
For Long Island sound, I would look at something a little larger, perhaps a Montauk 17 or an Outrage 18.

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:08 am

TK3 wrote:Thank you Dutchman. You make an excellent point about being able to walk around without having to step over a bench seat. You believe the whaler would be smoother riding because of the added weight? The dead rise in the BW is 16 degrees while Edgewater is 18, would a normal person even be able to sense that difference?

The 100+lbs heavier and 16 degrees would probably offset the the lighter 18 degree and therefore they ride equally but both aren't that smooth.
Last year I was able to ride side by side in my 150 and a slightly newer Montauk 170. Both the owner of the 170 and I thought that there wasn't that much difference in the ride after we switch operating boats back and forth. The weather at that time was 2 ft short period Lake Michigan waves. The 170 just had more power and was running at a lower RPM for the same 20 to 24 mph planing speed we were running at
I second the comment about finding a used one and that will give you a sea trial too. Try running the boats the same day and you'll get a better feel which boat will be more valuable to you.
EJO

Ridge Runner

Postby Ridge Runner » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:02 am

Out of all three the 150 Montauk will have the most usable space, as the beam is carried all the way forward, and as noted the stern is unobstructed.

The Keywest is the oldest desgn by far - that boat dates back to the late 1990's and it's amusing that Keywest still has the boat on their website shown with a carbureted two-cycle Yamaha.

Here are some images of each boat taken from the manufactures websites (note that marketing for the Keywest and Edgewater leans towards the youth segment - compared to Boston Whaler which has images with adults onboard):

Boston Whaler.JPG
Boston Whaler.JPG (157.63 KiB) Viewed 10315 times

Edgewater.JPG
Edgewater.JPG (172.14 KiB) Viewed 10315 times

Keywest.JPG
Keywest.JPG (66.72 KiB) Viewed 10315 times
Member since 2005
2005 170 Montauk, 2010 E-TEC 115 H.O.
2016 210 Montauk, 2017 E-TEC G2 200 H.O.

"Red sky at night, sailor’s delight - Red sky in the morning, sailor’s warning”

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:12 am

Having sea trialed a Montauk 150 and also cruised on Long Island sound, I would agree with Acseatsri and go LARGER.

While there are many calm days, if the winds are blowing right, waves can build with the long fetch.

The Montauk 150 is, in my opinion, underpowered. It is also not long enough, LOA. You will be spanking.

The Outrage series is best 18,20,22 or 25 for ocean conditions. Montauk 170 I as a second choice.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Rascal

Postby Rascal » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:28 am

The 150 Montauk is one of the favorite boats I’ve owned. It’s simple with everything on deck and little hidden below to break or grow mold. At the end of the season pour the remaining gas into your lawn mower and get fresh gas in the Spring. While small, the layout is great and it’s easy to move around the deck. I replaced the cooler with an Igloo Marine 72 for wider front seating. The boat rides well, but like most smaller boats you need to slow down for big wakes or big chop and you might get wet.
Rascal (Scott)
2015 170 Montauk

haggard

Postby haggard » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:41 pm

I looked at all three brands when I was shopping for a new boat last year, including a 158 EdgeWater at a decent end of season sale price. EW and KW certainly nice but I just kept coming back to the Montauk and I can't even entirely explain why. Just a gut feeling sort of thing. Quality on the Whaler really stood out though. Also the rod holders just forward of the console on some brands weren't compatible with a deployed bimini top, and one requirement for me (especially on a boat with limited rod storage) was to be able to run with the bimini open with rods set into the holders. From what I can tell the Montauk can do this. I prefer a small boat for simplicity, ease of handling, ease of launch/load, etc. Small enough for the lake, while big enough for the inshore salt. I took on a lot of debt to buy this boat and they haven't even started building it yet but every single day I think about it and have no regrets.

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:42 pm

haggard wrote:I just kept coming back to the Montauk and I can't even entirely explain why. Just a gut feeling sort of thing. Quality on the Whaler really stood out though.

I agree

haggard wrote:Also the rod holders just forward of the console on some brands weren't compatible with a deployed bimini top, and one requirement for me (especially on a boat with limited rod storage) was to be able to run with the bimini open with rods set into the holders. From what I can tell the Montauk can do this.

I use ball bungees and tie rod of to the side of the railing when trailering. I can attest they do albeit the tips slightly bent.

haggard wrote:I prefer a small boat for simplicity, ease of handling, ease of launch/load, etc. Small enough for the lake, while big enough for the inshore salt.

You bet, I had [my small boat] out in some pretty nasty water, the boat can handle it the skipper can't

haggard wrote:I took on a lot of debt to buy this boat and they haven't even started building it yet but every single day I think about it and have no regrets.

I'm pretty sure you won't the admiral never does

Congrats on your purchase, I know you'll like her.

[NOTA BENE: please use the QUOTE function to quote prior posts and to reply to them. The use of UNDERLINED text is ONLY for hypertext.--jimh]
Last edited by Dutchman on Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
EJO

NCWhaler828

Postby NCWhaler828 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:20 pm

I owned a 150 Montauk for about nine years and loved that boat.

I had a Mercury 60-HP Bigfoot and it was fast--and reliable, too. Sometimes it would be 40 days between boat trips and the engine would start up fine on a cold morning.

I sold the 150 MONTAUK a year ago and the new owner sends me pictures sometimes; he still has never had a problem with it. A lot of people like Yamaha, but I've always had good luck with Mercury.

I've been looking at smaller Boston Whaler boat for sale again. Lots on the market. I moved from south Florida to the mountains in North Carolina. Not many places to boat, but a few lakes. A 150 Montauk might just be perfect for up here. Maybe a 170.