11 Squall

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
11’squall

11 Squall

Postby 11’squall » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:35 am

Hello everyone. I have a [1975—use four digits for years] 11-foot SQUALL. I’ve owned this boat since [1998]. I’ve made several improvements [and] modifications over time.

I enlarged the tiny little original console to fit my needs. I made it large enough to conceal a battery underneath, and moved it forward so that a 6-gallon fuel tank fits perfect between the front seat and the front off the console.

I’ve retained the drum and pulley steering system.

Over the years I’ve had a few [problems].

The Mercury 35-HP developed a pivot problem no matter how much greasing or penetrant I used. The season would start out [with the engine pivoting] freely. I’m only using it as a tender these days, and it doesn’t see much turning and the drag returns. The pulleys load up and the cables slip.

I want to upgrade to a conventional steering system.

As I’m laying out [the new steering system] I’m finding the tube for the Teleflex mechanical helm and the curved transom are a problem.

I’ve heard of an aluminum curved fixed jack plate that was a perfect fit. I can’t find any info on it.

I’m running a short shaft engine, and—honestly—it’s too much for the little boat. it’s borderline dangerous for the novice. I’m going to downsize with a newer 25. With the plate I can use modern steering and a longer shaft. Thanks JT

dg22

Re: 11 Squall

Postby dg22 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:14 am

Welcome to the forum. With the curved transom, you would typically use a transom support bracket instead of the tilt tube mounting method. In my case, I have a tilt and trim bracket which sets my engine 6" back from the transom so I'm planning to use the tilt tube mounting method as there should be no interference.

jimh

Re: 11 Squall

Postby jimh » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:50 pm

I have not seen an 11-foot SQUALL with a center console and a 35-HP outboard engine. The SQUALL was a sailing or rowing dingy with a round bottom and a centerboard. Are you certain you have a SQUALL?