Gel Coat Crazing: Sudden Appearance

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
opencage

Gel Coat Crazing: Sudden Appearance

Postby opencage » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:59 pm

I had my 1963 Sport 13 upside down in my backyard for the winter as I rebuilt the trailer. The hull had some poor bottom paint, but the hull was in decent shape. I was planning on repainting the deck. On Monday, March 25, 2019 I took off the cover. I saw the entire port side has some crazy crazing and cracks that weren't there in October 2018.

crazing.jpg
Fig. 1. Crazing on hull side. This just appeared this winter.
crazing.jpg (43 KiB) Viewed 13878 times

I don't know what happened. The inverted hull was on blocks and covered with a regular canvas boat cover. The crazing didn't happen to the other side. The side it happened to is facing South, facing the sun. I'm guessing that there was too much heating and cooling, expansion and contraction of the fiberglass, and that caused the gel coat to crack.

What is your guess?

Now I may be repainting the whole hull.

Any suggestions [on how to repaint the hull]?

I'm not planning on making the boat true to original. I just want a decent fishing skiff. I'm may use Total Boat epoxy primer and Wet Edge, and apply using roll-and-tip. I may use Total Tread Non-skid.

The boat is trailered.

Would AWLGRIP be better?

opencage

Re: Validity of another discussion

Postby opencage » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:56 am

This ten-year-old discussion on top coat finish choices has a ton of information. Is [all the information in that thread] valid today?

opencage

Re: Another Total Boat product option

Postby opencage » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:18 am

Re-doing the hull with Total Boat gel coat finish may be the way to accomplish the repair. I’m willing to put the time and effort in. And I’d like the durability.

jimh

Re: Gel Coat Crazing: Sudden Appearance

Postby jimh » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:31 am

opencage wrote:...I'm not planning on making the boat true to original. I just want a decent fishing skiff.

My view of your choices for a new top coat finish will be influenced by your comment above. Use the method you feel most comfortable with, that is, most at ease with the amount of labor required and the cost of materials.

opencage wrote:Would AWLGRIP be better?

Applying AWLGRIP is probably too difficult and too expensive. The notion that AWLGRIP will be a better finish than some other choice may be true if AWLGRIP is professionally applied in a controlled environment. The notion that there is something intrinsic in AWLGRIP paint that will allow you to apply it in your backyard and get an outcome that is better than all other choices is probably speculative.

The Jamestown Distributor products you mention all seem like good options.

jimh

Re: Validity of another discussion

Postby jimh » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:34 am

opencage wrote:This ten-year-old discussion on top coat finish choices has a ton of information. Is [the information in that thread] valid today?

I don't understand the criteria you want to apply to the archived discussion in order to assess it as being "valid." The only aspect of that other discussion having occurred ten years ago that might no longer be precisely accurate would be the prices mentioned for certain labor intensive services or products. Prices may be higher now for labor and for products.

I am not aware of any revolution in products available for top coating of old boat hulls that has occurred in the past ten years, other than the appearance of the Jamestown Distributor products you have already mentioned.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:41 am

opencage wrote:...What is your guess [for the cause of the sudden appearance of the hull crazing]?

Before I can offer a theory for the sudden appearance of the hull crazing in this boat that had endured 56 years without having any crazing, I have a few questions:

Q1: How many prior winters had the hull been in Colorado and at the elevation it was in the 2018-2019 winter?

Q2: Was this winter in Colorado unusually cold? (My brother lives in Denver and has been complaining about the weather this winter.)

Q3: Were there unusual numbers of freeze and thaw cycles?

Q4: Did the canvas cover entrap moisture?

And it is really a shame this occurred.

opencage

Postby opencage » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:38 pm

Jim, as always, thanks for your responses, information, and help.

1. Based on registration paperwork, this was likely the third Colorado winter for this hull. It's possible it was taken elsewhere for winter, but based on what I know, I don't think so. This was likely its first winter off the trailer. I've been thinking a lot about this too. I took it off it's keel (the strongest part of the boat right?) and rested it on the gunwales putting stress on this location. But again, it didn't happen to the starboard side, which makes me posit the expansion/contraction theory.

2. All in all, I would say no, it wasn't unusually cold. February was maybe 3-4 degrees colder on average.

3. It's possible there were more freeze-thaw cycles, but if there were I didn't notice. But there are more freeze-thaw cycles here on the Colorado front range than in Michigan for example. We regularly have 40-50 degree F days, then a big chill and snow dump moves in and a few days later the snow's all gone and it's back to 40F again.

4. There was very little entrapped moisture on the hull when I removed the canvas. It's very dry here and I regularly shook it out after rain or snow. I haven't flipped over the hull yet.

It is a real shame. I'm disappointed and embarrassed I did this to a decent hull.

Having done more research, I agree with you about Awlgrip. I'm leaning towards rolling TotalBoat Gelcoat over TotalProtect barrier coat after the requisite sanding, fairing, and prep. I know this will require A LOT of work building up the gelcoat, then sanding to remove the orange peel, then buffing for some shine. It doesn't need to be perfect. I like that barrier coat + gelcoat will be more durable and maybe hold some value vs. paint. This post https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/799999-rolling-gelcoat-my-experience-2.html gives me hope.

Bah, it's useful just thinking and typing this out and getting feedback from those with experience, thanks.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:42 pm

Thanks for the replies to my questions. Your remark about "first time off the trailer" gave me another idea.

For a Unibond hull to have some moisture in the space between the outer and inner hull laminate layers is more or less assumed for all hulls. Perhaps the inversion of the hull caused some moisture that had always been held by gravity in the hull bottom to migrate to the hull sides.

The distance between the laminate hulls is less at the hull sides than on the hull bottom, and the area contained is much less, as shown below:

Fig. 1. Cross section view of Boston Whaler classic 13-foot hull.

If my initial assumption of the presence of some moisture is true, and I think it is quite likely to be true, and if the moisture can migrate through the foam material, then perhaps some moisture was able to move into the hull sides. This would possibly result in a greater saturation of the foam in that area than in the hull bottom as there is less volume of foam to absorb any water. Also, the laminate strength is much greater in the hull bottom than in the hull sides.

In an environment like Colorado with the ambient temperature changing daily to be above and below freezing, perhaps there was repeated freezing and thawing of the moisture in the hull sides, particularly the side exposed to sunlight during the day which would have increased the possibility to get warming from the sun. Also, the more freezing and expansion, the more damage to the foam cell structure, which may have allowed for freer flow of moisture into the hull sides from the bottom. The water may have been able to work its way into parts of the foam areas it had never before had access. The freezing water put pressure on the laminate. The gel coat fractured under the pressure.

It's just a theory.

opencage

Postby opencage » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:56 pm

That all makes sense, that theory is sound. It sits high in the water and was easily handled by me and a buddy, but there's always something in there and maybe some more got in over the last six months.

So I've decided to embrace this situation as an opportunity.

I already have everything apart, bare hull, and ready to go. I'll definitely go gelcoat over an epoxy barrier layer as a way to give this boat another 50 years, both hull and deck. I'm checking with local shops to see what they say for the cost for spraying gelcoat, but if prohibitive I'll put the time and effort in through rolling. Get about 20 mils, including the barrier and ready to go. Won't focus on original colors, just whatever works or is cheapest, white or off-white.

opencage

Postby opencage » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:59 pm

I found this product in my extensive "what am I going to do and how am I going to do it" search online: FGCI Brushable Gelcoat

I was cautiously optimistic, did some more "looking stuff up" and gave them a call today. They were on Ship Shape TV (but they are advertisers) and saw some success stories in reviews and forums. I spoke with a tech for about 20 minutes asking a bunch of stuff.

It's still a ISO/NPG polyester but they did say it wasn't as mechanically or chemically resistant as "regular" gelcoat, but still much more so than paint. In one layer with a nap roller (can't remember 1/4 or 3/8), it will dry to 14 mils. If you want to or need to do two layers, let cure and sand in between. The approximate coverage for 14 mils dry is 100-square-feet per gallon.

It will go over epoxy same as other stuff as long as prep work like amine blush removal, sanding, and cleaning is done. They prefer and sell their own polyester filling/fair stuff, but I know from Jim's Epoxy Cure article a secondary epoxy bond is better.

The tech said it levels out really well. Still a lot of sanding and buffing and waxing to shine, but the orange peel is much less prevalent. He did say don't roll too much, literally "go up and back down and you're done". Otherwise it'll pick itself up and pin hole.

He also convinced me that I don't need the barrier coat since the boat is trailered and that two coats of gelcoat would be better than one epoxy barrier + one gelcoat.

I asked for color cards of the three white/off-white they have in this brushable gelcoat and I should receive them in a few days and I'll go from there. I will do both the deck and hull and an "easy" off-white sounds good to me. I will use SoftSand for the non-skid section.

Does anyone have experience with this brand or type of gelcoat?
Last edited by opencage on Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:54 pm

I have no experience to offer with FGCI Brushable Gelcoat.

Q: Does FGCI Brushable Gelcoat cure to a hard surface when exposed to air?

kwik_wurk

Postby kwik_wurk » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:11 pm

Crazing is only on one side, the southern, yes cyclical freeze/solar loading. However it also requires the gelcoat to be rather aged, broken down--and 56-years is more than enough.

Q: Are those cracks all the way through as in a true crack?

Q: Or are those creases?

Take a heat gun; heat up a section both interior and exterior; see what happens.

Having a gelcoat crack is one thing, fiberglass would change the project.

I have made some decent bulges in some foam filled boats while heating them up mid-winter while doing repairs--but not enough to make new cracks appear.

NLA01

Postby NLA01 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:55 pm

I have exactly the same cracks in exactly the same places on the side of the hull on my 1995 Outrage 24. I think the cause was gelcoat shrinking.

The cracks are only on the hull side where the sun set in its position on the trailer in the exact same spot for many many years. Cracks are where the sun hit through the seasons. [The cracking of the gel coat] is actually heartbreaking--and one of the reasons I got this boat: neglect. Plus, I like project Whalers.

I have learned FGCI brushable gelcoat is really designed for small areas to be fixed by brushing it on. SHIPSHAPE ( a cable show) demonstrated a small repair.

[Below I have replaced "it" and "they" with [FGCI brushable gelcoat] and [FGCI] or other actual nouns, which I hope is what was intended to be the meaning of those pronouns which were used without clear antecedent nouns--jimh]

I really like that company--[FGCI] were very friendly and easy to order from.

I have never used [FGCI brushable gelcoat]
I may trying to roll on [FGCI brushable gelcoat] to see how [FGCI brushable gelcoat] works for my repair.
I wish there was more information [about FGCI brushable gelcoat].

For your boat I think [FGCI brushable gelcoat] would work. [FGCI] will match color and you can order it with or without the wax. If you have a one- inch circle [sample] of the gelcoat, you could mail that and [FGCI] will match and custom make your color. [FGCI] may have that color on file.

I think the key with the [FGCI brushable gelcoat] is to layer [FGCI brushable gelcoat]. Once you brush on [FGCI brushable gelcoat] don't go back over [FGCI brushable gelcoat] or try to tip [FGCI brushable gelcoat].

I would open up those cracks and fill them with fairing compound from FGCI. Get [the hull surface] to the smoothness you want. Then apply gel coat to the whole side. You may think about [applying gel coat to] the whole boat once you get [the project of refurbishing the hull] started. Make [the hull] like new again.

I think the brushable gelcoat is a good option for you. Gel coat absolutely is not brushable. It is like trying to brush on sunscreen [or] toothpaste. This new brushable is groundbreaking.

Check out totalboatworks on youtube. [Please give the URL to the resource on YouTube that you want to have readers watch.--jimh]

[The presenter for "totalboatworks" on youtube] uses FGCI resins and shows how to brush and roll gel coat.
Archie

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:20 pm

ARCHIE--are you trying to suggest that FibgerGlass Coatings Incorporated (FCGI) and Jamestown Distributors TotalBoat products are the same products?

Jamestown Distributors has many presentations on YouTube of their TOTAL BOAT products. I don't recall any mention in the TOTAL BOAT demonstrations that the products being demonstrated are from FCGI. For example, see

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbTMPp ... pFJcMLrUDA

TOTAL BOAT and Jamestown Distributors have dozens of very nicely produced demonstration presentations on youTube about their line of products branded as TOTAL BOAT.

If there is something on youTube from FCGI, you should point to those resources. However, from your comments, I think you are really talking about TOTAL BOAT product demonstrations on youTube.

NLA01

Postby NLA01 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:40 pm

Jim--my mistake. I meant Boatworks Today Channel on youtube. This guy uses Total boat products. ShipShape uses FGCI. Good catch.
Archie
Last edited by NLA01 on Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:50 pm

Please give the URL for the youTube resources you are recommending. That "channel" has dozens of presentations. Rather than have to watch all of them to figure out which one of the several dozen you think will be interesting in the context of this discussion, please give the URL to the presentation you recommend to watch in order to learn how to repair the sudden appearance of crazing on the hull of an older Boston Whaler boat.

NLA01

Postby NLA01 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:48 pm

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:51 pm

There are a dozen presentation in the link provided.

I watched the first presentation for about eight minutes. There was no mention of the FGCI resin.

If possible, please point to a presentation that demonstrates the FGCI resin and give the time into the presentation when the FGI resin is mentioned and demonstrated in the repair of crazing.

opencage

Postby opencage » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:43 pm

jimh wrote:I have no experience to offer with FGCI Brushable Gelcoat.

Q: Does FGCI Brushable Gelcoat cure to a hard surface when exposed to air?

Yes.

The FGCI product page says "no wax needed", which I know could be ambiguous because it could be an interior/laminating type gelcoat that would require PVA or similar. However, the Bottom Paint Store product page says "No Wax Needed for Curing!" And I ask the tech outright and he said no wax needed for curing, just a few hours depending on temperature and waiting overnight is always best.The additives that make it more "paint like" and level out are the "air blocker". MEKP is still required as a catalyst as usual.

opencage

Postby opencage » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:56 pm

kwik_wurk wrote:Crazing is only on one side, the southern, yes cyclical freeze/solar loading. However it also requires the gelcoat to be rather aged, broken down--and 56-years is more than enough.

Q: Are those cracks all the way through as in a true crack?

Q: Or are those creases?

Take a heat gun; heat up a section both interior and exterior; see what happens.

Having a gelcoat crack is one thing, fiberglass would change the project.

I have made some decent bulges in some foam filled boats while heating them up mid-winter while doing repairs--but not enough to make new cracks appear.

I'm thinking (hoping) they're "creases" or what are often referred to as crazing/surface cracks which only require sanding/dremeling, filling, and fairing. That's what they look like in comparison. They don't seem deep, certainly less than 1/16 of an inch deep. The boat is covered again, it got cold again and I'm still finishing the trailer.

I don't have a heat gun, but if I got one, what do you mean? Just put heat on it, let it cool and see if they show up again? I feel like since I'm going to re-do the whole hull now, I don't have to do this. Unless it would provide me some info about the fiberglass being compromised. I don't want to fiberglass. I could, and might have to, but I don't want to.
Last edited by opencage on Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

opencage

Postby opencage » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:18 pm

Acassidy wrote:I have exactly the same cracks in exactly the same places on the side of the hull on my 1995 Outrage 24. I think the cause was gelcoat shrinking.

The cracks are only on the hull side where the sun set in its position on the trailer in the exact same spot for many many years. Cracks are where the sun hit through the seasons. [The cracking of the gel coat] is actually heartbreaking--and one of the reasons I got this boat: neglect. Plus, I like project Whalers.

I have learned FGCI brushable gelcoat is really designed for small areas to be fixed by brushing it on. SHIPSHAPE ( a cable show) demonstrated a small repair.

[Below I have replaced "it" and "they" with [FGCI brushable gelcoat] and [FGCI] or other actual nouns, which I hope is what was intended to be the meaning of those pronouns which were used without clear antecedent nouns--jimh]

I really like that company--[FGCI] were very friendly and easy to order from.

I have never used [FGCI brushable gelcoat]
I may trying to roll on [FGCI brushable gelcoat] to see how [FGCI brushable gelcoat] works for my repair.
I wish there was more information [about FGCI brushable gelcoat].

For your boat I think [FGCI brushable gelcoat] would work. [FGCI] will match color and you can order it with or without the wax. If you have a one- inch circle [sample] of the gelcoat, you could mail that and [FGCI] will match and custom make your color. [FGCI] may have that color on file.

I think the key with the [FGCI brushable gelcoat] is to layer [FGCI brushable gelcoat]. Once you brush on [FGCI brushable gelcoat] don't go back over [FGCI brushable gelcoat] or try to tip [FGCI brushable gelcoat].

I would open up those cracks and fill them with fairing compound from FGCI. Get [the hull surface] to the smoothness you want. Then apply gel coat to the whole side. You may think about [applying gel coat to] the whole boat once you get [the project of refurbishing the hull] started. Make [the hull] like new again.

I think the brushable gelcoat is a good option for you. Gel coat absolutely is not brushable. It is like trying to brush on sunscreen [or] toothpaste. This new brushable is groundbreaking.

Check out totalboatworks on youtube. [Please give the URL to the resource on YouTube that you want to have readers watch.--jimh]

[The presenter for "totalboatworks" on youtube] uses FGCI resins and shows how to brush and roll gel coat.
Archie

Your experiences continue my cautious optimism.

I have also seen others saying they like FGCI's customer service, and I certainly appreciated the 20 minutes the tech spent with me answering questions and sending me color cards without me spending any money, also continuing my cautious optimism.

I told the tech that I wanted to restore my entire hull and deck with FGCI brushable gelcoat. He was very clear, it will still be A LOT of work, but that this was better for the job than "regular" gelcoat because the leveling will mean less sanding to smooth it out. QUOTE: "That 13 foot skiff will seem like a 30 foot yacht by the time you're done." This also addresses your other point, I'm already planning on re-doing the whole hull and deck. It's ready, I'm ready, let's just do it and give this boat another few decades. Especially if I do two layers and get more than 20 mils out of it.

I might end up getting some FGCI's OEM Super Poly-fill for back up for the deck. It's what they use and suggest, but they did say properly prepared epoxy would still be compatible and I already have a West System kit ready to go.

Thanks all for the responses and help.

NLA01

Postby NLA01 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:54 am

If it were me I would use [FCGI] poly-fill verses using West System. First the FGCI (or any brand gelcoat and filler) are two products designed to work together. Second is the golden rule poly over poly, epoxy over poly, but never poly over epoxy. The reason is polyester doesn't really stick very well to anything but itself. Third and most important, epoxy is much harder to sand and fair out to make a smooth surface. Epoxy is just hard stuff and is great for structure repair under the deck and on the transom. A needed quality of a good fairing compound is its ability to sand smooth easily and not have micro holes that will need to be filled.

I used three gallons of WEST System to rebuild the deck (underside of the removal deck) on my 1995 24' Outrage, my current project. And it is easy to use, but really not great for fairing. Strong stuff.

I have used FGCI resins and fillers, and they are good stuff and easy to use. The brushable and rollable gel coat sounds almost too good to be true. I wish there were more people writing about it and using it. I will probably end up using it on my boat just because the application fits me. Plus FCGI prices are fair. I have rolled Spectrum gel coat before on a 1983 22 Outrage console redo and interior; the amount of wet sanding and buffing was astronomical.

Should look admirable once you are finished
Archie

opencage

Postby opencage » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:12 am

Acassidy wrote:If it were me I would use [FCGI] poly-fill verses using West System. First the FGCI (or any brand gelcoat and filler) are two products designed to work together. Second is the golden rule poly over poly, epoxy over poly, but never poly over epoxy. The reason is polyester doesn't really stick very well to anything but itself. Third and most important, epoxy is much harder to sand and fair out to make a smooth surface. Epoxy is just hard stuff and is great for structure repair under the deck and on the transom. A needed quality of a good fairing compound is its ability to sand smooth easily and not have micro holes that will need to be filled.

I used three gallons of WEST System to rebuild the deck (underside of the removal deck) on my 1995 24' Outrage, my current project. And it is easy to use, but really not great for fairing. Strong stuff.

I have used FGCI resins and fillers, and they are good stuff and easy to use. The brushable and rollable gel coat sounds almost too good to be true. I wish there were more people writing about it and using it. I will probably end up using it on my boat just because the application fits me. Plus FCGI prices are fair. I have rolled Spectrum gel coat before on a 1983 22 Outrage console redo and interior; the amount of wet sanding and buffing was astronomical.

Should look admirable once you are finished
Archie

I think you're right that these two products of the same brand are more likely to work well together.

I think that golden rule has been de-bunked: Epoxyworks Article, West Systems Article

So you would use epoxy for the deck and poly-fill for the hull? I thought the other way around. I would want my hull to have the strongest repairs possible. I guess I'm just thinking I already have a West System kit (comes with some filler), and I'll get the FGCI Poly-fill for whatever is left over after the WS kit is gone.

I'm glad to hear of your good experience with FGCI and their stuff. The "too good to be true" thing is what I'm thinking and slightly worries me too. I also wish there was more out there on it. If I end up going with it, and I likely will, I'll be sure to document it thoroughly here. I also plan on giving them a call again to clarify all prep, steps, tricks, etc.

opencage

Postby opencage » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:57 am

So after a second phone call and receiving some color chips, I've decided to go with the FGCI brushable gelcoat.

I got the white, misty white, and dusky white in the actual gelcoat. Felt like good durable plastic, though they were 1/8 inch thick, but certainly more durable than paint. The dusky white was the light tan-ish off-white many hulls are, white and misty white were almost the same color. With a price difference of $12/gallon, I went with simple white for both the hull and deck.

I spoke with a different tech, asked a lot of the same questions (this time I wrote down the answers), some follow up questions, and got the same answers. This was also reassuring, sometime when asking about this kind of stuff from different folks from the same company you can get different answers.

Q&A's:

Q: Is this product correct for this application, re-doing an entire hull and deck of a 1963 Sport 13?
A: Yes

Q: 1 gallon coverage = 100 sq ft at 14 mils thick dry?
A: Yes, and 2 coats with sanding/polishing should be around 24 mils.

Q: Type of roller?
A: Nap, mohair, solvent resistant, as short as possible, like 1/8, no foam rollers.

Q: Should I brush odd shaped/curved areas first, then roll the rest? Hull and deck?

Q: How much area/time for applications, ok to do one quart/section, mix up again, keep going?
A: Yes, Never more than a quart at a time, gel time (work time) is usually around 15 minutes depending on temp and MEKP percentage More info, it's ok to mix up a pot, get the work done, mix up another pot and overlap and keep going

Q: What about day temps vs night temp? I'm in Colorado and it's getting warmer and we will soon have several hours during the day of 65F plus, but the nights are cooler, how does that affect curing, can I still apply?
A: That's ok, might take an extra day to cure to be safe, it it gets tacky but not curing, take a lint free cloth and water to remove the "blush" and it will cure.

Q: Do I need to sand between coats?
A: Yes, 220 or 320 grit, mark up with a pencil to determine when enough is done, when the pencil is gone, that's enough.

Q: Is shade better than sun for application?

Q: Can I use/add nonskid additive like softsand?
A: Yes, sprinkle on first coat so it sticks, then let cure and cover with second coat.

Q: Can I use a regular drill mixer for pre-mixing and mixing the MEKP?
A: Yes, be careful not to introduce air and mix the MEKP for 2 minutes

Q: For under the gelcoat, do I need to use an epoxy repair under the water line?
A: The OEM super poly-fill can be used under water too.

After all this, I was ready to order some stuff. I had a shopping cart ready to go online, but shipping was $72 which seemed expensive.
Over the phone I ordered:
1 quart of OEM Super Poly-Fill
4 gallons of Brushable White Gelcoat
5 two ounce bottles of MEKP
1 MEKP Dispenser, 16 oz, with 35 cc Graduated Cup
1 wet film Mil Gauge

The customer service rep was very easy to work with and thought it could all fit in one box, shipping was $40, total $478. But compared to primer and paint costs, not that much more expensive.

Not cheap, but with the work, I'm hoping to give this boat another few decades.

Will keep you all updated on progress.
Last edited by opencage on Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NLA01

Postby NLA01 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:21 am

Wow great information here. I am excited to see your progress on it and anxiously await updates.

opencage

Postby opencage » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:55 pm

Acassidy wrote:Wow great information here. I am excited to see your progress on it and anxiously await updates.

Thanks, just wanted to get more info out there, not a lot as discussed before.

It'll be a little while, at least a couple weeks. Should finish the trailer this weekend, wanna weigh it too. Then I'll get on to putting the hull on sawhorses and sanding, epoxying, fairing. Gotta wait for some warm weather up here too, should be here by the time the hull is ready. Then into the garage for the gelcoat.