Primary Power Distribution for Single Battery and Small Open Skiff

Electrical and electronic topics for small boats
PatSea

Primary Power Distribution for Single Battery and Small Open Skiff

Postby PatSea » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:41 pm

Reading a very thorough description of [a primary power distribution system for two batteries and one outboard engine with auxiliary battery charging output] reminded me of my need to upgrade the power distribution on our little 1972 13-foot open skiff (a Boston Whaler}. Even though it's a much simpler single battery system I need to also provide for an electric trolling motor and I want to add a primary battery switch and house circuit breaker. Could you provide a similar sketch and description for such a system? Thanks Jim for the wealth of valuable information you provide.

jimh

Re: Primary Power Distribution for Single Battery and Small Open Skiff

Postby jimh » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:59 pm

For a 13-foot skiff I would use just a single 12-Volt battery, a very simple ON-OFF battery switch (possibly integral with the battery terminal post), and a 6-circuit fused distribution panel--but you must keep all of this out of the weather. How to accomplish that on an open boat is to be determined.

I'd put the battery in a plastic battery box for weather protection. If there is no place for the distribution panel to be out of the weather, then use weather-resistant in-line fuses, and use a terminal bus right at the battery positive and negative connectors for the bus distribution; in this way you'll have most of the electrical connections under the battery box lid.

PatSea

Re: Primary Power Distribution for Single Battery and Small Open Skiff

Postby PatSea » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:24 pm

Thanks Jim. I've been looking for a weatherproof plastic box to house a Blue Seas fused distribution panel but haven't found one yet. Does anyone have a recommendation?

jimh

Re: Waterproof plastic enclosures

Postby jimh » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:46 pm

The Canadian company HAMMOND makes many plastic enclosures in North America and sells them at reasonable prices via electronic distributors or directly. See

http://www.hammondmfg.com/1554FCLP.htm