Dauntless 15 Anchor Locker Hinge Fasteners

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
sinbad

Dauntless 15 Anchor Locker Hinge Fasteners

Postby sinbad » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:16 am

I just bought a very nice 1996 Dauntless 15. The anchor locker hinge fasteners are loose on the door side, and will not tighten. From the top there are three oval head stainless screws that are still sound. From the bottom of the anchor door, are fasteners which are flush against the anchor door bottom. They have a large phillips screw pattern. Attempting to tighten them showed the heads were no longer attached to the screw coming from above. The lower head then fell off when I attempted to tighten it. There is a part of this fastener that is still attached to the screw from above which prevented me from removing the screw from the hinge side. It is too large a diameter to fit through the hole, with the remnants off the lower threaded part hanging on.

What is the name of this type of fastener so I can attempt to source replacements?

How to best remove the remaining failed fastener?

Cutting the stainless screw head off will take some doing, and I don't want to damage anything other than the failed fastener.

My first thought is to use a diamond dremmel cutting wheel, slowly cut the above screw head off, push the remains out through the bottom of the anchor door, and try to protect the boat from the hot metal fragments that will fly. Replace it with the same diameter stainless oval head screw and use a washer and nylock nut below. This will protrude slightly into the anchor well as opposed to the flush fit of the original fastener.

I'd appreciate any input.

Ed

NLA01

Re: anchor locker hinge fasteners Dauntless 15

Postby NLA01 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:14 pm

Here is a OEM replacement for that screw head. http://www.nausetmarine.com/shop/1040187-barrel-nuts/

Is it possible to get a pair of pliers around the nuts to hold it. I replaced most of mine on my 1995 Whale 24' Outrage. That is how I removed the loss barrel nuts, I used some-sort of pliers to grab the end and then screw from the other side.
Good luck Archie

jimh

Re: Dauntless 15 Anchor Locker Hinge Fasteners

Postby jimh » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:56 pm

In the REFERENCE section there is a 15-year-old article that offers advice on where to find OEM parts. The article has advice on where to find BARREL NUTS, which I believe is the component you are seeking. See:

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... barrelNuts

The BECKSON source should be the best match for existing parts on a Boston Whaler boat. The REFERENCE article gives a link to the manufacturer, BECKSON. You can often buy small quantities of Beckson parts directly from Beckson.

These unusual fasteners are sometimes called by a generic name "sex bolts." See

https://www.ampg.com/wp-content/uploads ... CatPgs.pdf

The above publication describes the origin of the nomenclature "Barrel Nuts."

In regard to removing the fastener, you may have to drill off the head that remains. To drill stainless steel effectively you will need special drill bits. A standard steel drill won't make much progress drilling into stainless steel.

sinbad

Re: Dauntless 15 Anchor Locker Hinge Fasteners

Postby sinbad » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:06 pm

Thank you both for providing the information for a solution.

jimh

Re: NAUSET MARINE is not an OEM of Barrel Nuts

Postby jimh » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:49 pm

Acassidy wrote:Here is a OEM replacement for that screw head....

I disagree. I very much doubt that Nauset Marine was the OEM of the fastener used by Boston Whaler. They are a boat dealer, not a manufacturer of fasteners.