MONTAUK 17 Trailer

A conversation among Whalers
SpeedoJosh

MONTAUK 17 Trailer

Postby SpeedoJosh » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:46 pm

I have a 1986 Montauk 17. The trailer I have for it seems like it is a 15-foot boat. I want to get a new trailer with proper fit.

A 2016 Boston Whaler trailer made by Karavan for a 17-foot boat has popped up for sale locally.

Would I be able to simply drive my 1986 MONTAUK 17 onto the 2016 trailer that was set up from the factory for a different boat?

Will the differences between the two hulls prevent a proper fit with the bunks?

My 1986 MONTAUK 17 boat came a trailer with rollers, and the Karavan trailer from the factory setup for a 2016 17-footer does not have rollers; it only has bunks.

I searched online to see if there was much hull difference that would prevent that trailer working well, but can't find much.

ConB

Re: MONTAUK 17 Trailer

Postby ConB » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:16 pm

I would think the trailer would work. May be some minor adjustments.

An all-bunk trailer will be fine. Apply silicon to the bunks if they aren't slippery enough for you. But don't unhook the winch strap until the boat is in the water.

Con
!987 Outrage 18 / 2011 Yamaha F150
1969 13 / 30hp Johnson tiller

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:30 am

You do not specify which c.2016 Boston Whaler 17-foot boat the trailer was designed for. In 2016 Boston Whaler made at least three 17-foot boats:

--170 MONTAUK
--170 DAUNTLESS
--170 SUPERSPORT

If the trailer you are considering buying was designed for a 2016 170 MONTAUK, then the length and width of the trailer will be sufficient for a classic MONTAUK 17 boat.

The length and beam dimensions of the MONTAUK 17 and 170 MONTAUK are:

LENGTH: 16-feet 7-inches for 17; 17-feet for 170
    BEAM: 6-feet 2-inches for 17; 6-feet 10-inches for 170

On that basis that the 170 MONTAUK is longer and wider than a MONTAUK 17, then a trailer designed for a 170 MONTAUK will be long enough and wide enough for a classic 17 MONTAUK.

The two hulls will most likely have slightly different shapes. If the trailer you are considering buying does not have adjustable bunks, the MONTAUK 17 may not fit properly onto the bunks.

When discussing trailers with rollers, you must describe the type of roller. Boston Whaler boats should not be used with floppy-roller trailers. Keel rollers are recommended for Boston Whaler boats.

I think your search for information describing the exact differences between the hulls of a classic MONTAUK 17 and the newer 170 MONTAUK failed to find information because there really are no detailed descriptions of the hull shapes of any Boston Whaler boat hulls. There are generally only length and beam dimensions, and for some hulls an estimate of the angle of deadrise on the hull at the transom.

If the trailer you are considering buying was designed for a 170 DAUNTLESS or a 170 SUPERSPORT, you will have to check their length and width dimension. Also the shape of those hulls are also likely different than a classic MONTAUK 17.

MattFL

Postby MattFL » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:10 am

I have a 1996 Montauk 17 on a bunk trailer; it's the only way to go. If you can buy new, get the trailer custom sized for your boat; the cost is not much more. I got my trailer from Rolls Axle in Florida, Model W1730 custom sized to be 80-inches wide at the outside of the fenders, and it fits my Montauk perfectly. With bunks and guide ons, as long as the front of the boat gets between the guides, it doesn't matter what angle the boat will end up dead center.

To make the bunks slippery, rub a brick of parafin wax (from the grocery store) on the bunks and they get very slick. As for fit; the bunks have some adjustment for angle, and, if you need to move them around then at least on an aluminum trailer, you can just poke new holes with a cordless drill, which is what I did. Gto the local ramp, launch the boat, adjust the bunks, then see how it fits. Repeat until you're happy.

The Rolls Axle brand trailer is built like a tank with big aluminum beams, aluminum axle, and stainless steel hubs. After 14 years of saltwater use, there is barely any corrosion on anything, including the hubs. The only drawback is they use rubber blocks for suspension springs, which basically do not move with a boat this light, so it's like not having suspension. I paid $2019 for it in 2005, custom sized to 80-inches wide, and with a removable tongue for security (more difficult to steal your boat if the tongue isn't there). Capacity is 2600-lbs, GVWR is 3000-lbs—way more than a vintage Montauk weighs—and the empty weight is listed as 430-lbs.

Trailer: http://www.rollsaxle.com/SINGLE_lrg.jpg

temp (Custom) (2).jpg
temp (Custom) (2).jpg (64.95 KiB) Viewed 9531 times

Cow_Tipper

Postby Cow_Tipper » Wed May 29, 2019 11:45 pm

I bought a brand new load rite trailer because I had a similar worries. Very happy with it.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4335

Oldslowandugly

Postby Oldslowandugly » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:39 am

When I bought my Whaler 15 it came on a totally inadequate trailer. Searching for a Whaler specific model was fruitless. Then I found this site and I read Jim's trailer recommendations concerning Whalers. I decided to modify my old Magic Tilt skiff trailer which was for a fourteen to sixteen foot boat. I bought a steel beam and had it galvanized. I inserted it right down the center and extended the tongue. My original tongue was very short so this cured two problems. Now I can dunk the trailer at the worst ramp without getting the tow vehicle wet. Then I added the Stoltz rollers you see for maximum keel support. Two bunks just touch the sides for lateral support. The walkways you see are swimming pool top rails made of extruded aluminum. Now I can walk down to the boat and attach the winch strap without going swimming. The steel beam weighed a lot so I upgraded the springs to handle that. I have been trailering for 40 years and I have to say this rig feels the most secure and stabil of all. ImageImage