HONDA Engine Advertising

A conversation among Whalers
jimh

HONDA Engine Advertising

Postby jimh » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:59 pm

This time of year I tend to be watching a lot of professional hockey game telecasts. I have noticed that the commercials contained in these telecasts have something different this year: plenty of commercials for HONDA outboard engines.

On an occasional Sunday morning I might watch a show related to angling on inland lakes. On these shows just about every commercial break has a HONDA outboard engine commercial.

Based on my limited and unscientific survey, it looks like HONDA has stepped up its promotion of outboard engines. Have I just been missing all these HONDA outboard engine commercials for the past decade? Or has HONDA put on a big TV advertising campaign?

R DAVIS

Re: HONDA Engine Advertising

Postby R DAVIS » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:39 am

I've noticed that too, particularly on Fox Sports Network, which also carries numerous outdoor programs.
I imagine Honda is about to try to greatly increase their presence in the US outboard motor market. To do that they will need to demonstrate to a potential dealership base that they are willing to spend some serious money on advertising.

Their motors are really well engineered and of high quality, but have not caught on big time in the USA due to a lack of dealerships for sales and support, and of boat manufacturers getting on board (no pun intended) in partnership with them. Honda (the worldwide corporation) certainly has the financial wherewithal to do just that. It's doubtful that they are spending that much capital just to try to sell more motors through their current limited network.

I wish them well. It's always good to have more competition in the marketplace. It wouldn't surprise me if they eventually purchase some boat manufacturers. Honda probably recognizes the huge potential in the near future marketplace for boating, RVs, and other leisure time activities. As the baby boomer generation continues to retire, folks will be looking for high quality recreational opportunities. After all, the currently retiring generation is the richest and healthiest in history, with generous disposable income, and Honda is probably clever enough to recognize that. They could probably dominate that marketplace if they so choose.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:30 pm

Yes, very strong presence on FOX Sports network shows with any sort of boating, fishing, or outdoor orientation.

The reputation of Yamaha in their high-horsepower four-stroke engines seems to have been tarnished lately. Perhaps the HONDA BF250A can take some transoms away from them.

You are right about lack of dealerships. Here in SE Michigan I can't think of a big dealer that sells HONDA engines. Their lack of tie-in sales with in-house boat brands is perhaps part of the problem. I think dealers like to sell new boats more than just new engines for re-powers.

frontier

Postby frontier » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:47 pm

Lots of small Honda outboards are sold through the Honda Power Equipment dealer network. Along with generators, lawn mowers and replacement small engines. Those dealers were established years ago when Honda only had small outboards. I wonder how the larger boat dealers feel about so much local competition for that market.

dtmackey

Postby dtmackey » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:03 pm

Haven't seen much Honda advertising in these parts and Honda is not a popular motor in these parts - probably due to local dealer support, or lack of dealers.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:10 am

Re the HONDA dealerships: yes, when I search for a HONDA outboard engine dealer in my area, the results often point to shops selling other HONDA power products, not boat dealerships.

With regard to advertising, the USCG is doing a good job of advertising for HONDA on the water. Many of their outboard engine boats are using HONDA engines. Their older 25-foot response boats built by S.A.F.E Boats were always rigged with a pair of HONDA engines, and the newer 29-foot response boat built by MetalShark are also rigged with twin HONDA engine:

USCG29TwinHonda225.jpg
Fig. 1. USCG 29-foot Response Boat with twin HONDA 225 engines.
USCG29TwinHonda225.jpg (52.91 KiB) Viewed 6837 times

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:50 pm

Jim's photo above was taken at USCG Station Belle Isle, MI.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003