Turquoise stickers

A conversation among Whalers
publius

Turquoise stickers

Postby publius » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:57 pm

When did Whaler quit using the turquoise hull stickers?

I pass an old Whaler 18 Outrage all the time with Turquoise stickers.

jimh

Re: Turquoise stickers

Postby jimh » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:20 am

What are “stickers”?

dtmackey

Postby dtmackey » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:09 pm

jimh wrote:What are “stickers”?

I think he meant decal. Many people use the terms interchangeably. It's like people who refer to soft drinks as soda, tonic or pop. I know what they mean and there seems to be a generational and regional preferred name.

I will say, if Whaler did use turquoise decals on any boat, that would be the ultimate in tackiness or "wicked cheesy", depending on where your from.

D-

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:53 pm

I believe Boston Whaler made four OUTRAGE 24 hulls in c.1996 with turquoise green gel coat for a particular dealer.

Fig. 1. One of four never to be seen again turquoise hulls made by Boston Whaler.

In 1991 Boston Whaler made a special 30th Anniversary Edition of the 17 MONTAUK that had an aqua cove stripe. At the time aqua was considered to be a cool color, but now that choice is likely regretted by most boaters unless they are looking for a Miami Vice retro late-1980's look.

Pastel colors generally have no place on classic Boston Whaler boats except for the badly faded blue interior of really old 13-footers.

Certain hues that might be considered pastel colors have made a comeback for Florida-based boats. Shades like FIGHTING LADY YELLOW, WASABI (Green), or ICE BLUE have been available from Boston Whaler for several years now.

But even today, with more hull color options than ever before, the color of the GRAPHICS remains very basic: RED, BLACK, DARK BLUE, WHITE, with GRAY and CHROME thrown in.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:35 pm

publius wrote:When did Whaler quit using the turquoise hull stickers?

As soon as they realized their mistake.

ConB

Postby ConB » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:47 pm

I have seen a Montauk with the aqua anniversary graphics. The sun top was aqua also.

My neighbor had an early 1990s 19' Outrage II that had the aqua graphics.

I was recently looking at an early 1990s Outrage 21 and it had aqua graphics.

There are a few out there.

Con
!987 Outrage 18 / 2011 Yamaha F150
1969 13 / 30hp Johnson tiller

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:33 pm

Here is a color palette for the 1980's:

1980s-Color-Palette.jpg
Fig. 1. Color palette from 1980's frequently cited by many websites.
1980s-Color-Palette.jpg (6.39 KiB) Viewed 8304 times

It's probably the only decade in the last century with "turquoise" as a popular color. It took a while longer for boat builders to try it.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:06 am

Back in the 1950's when I was a kid and assembling REVEL model airplanes, I used decals or wet-transfers. Decals are usually printed on a clear thin flexible background. They are wetted with water to loosen them from the backing sheet they are initially attached to. Once the bond between the decal and the paper is loosened, you slide the particular decal you have cut off from a sheet of decals onto the new surface where you want it. When the water dries, the decal is bonded to the new surface.

Sticker are graphics printed on a paper or plasticized paper surface, and they have an tacky adhesive backing. The are often used in conjunction with children's books. The child has a book and a set of stickers for the book. The book is illustrated with outline drawings that match a sticker. The child peels the sticker off from the loosely adhered backing material and sticks the sticker into the book in the place where there is a matching outline drawing.

In the old days as kids we used to get coloring books and crayon sets, and we could color in the outline drawings. Maybe your mother would work with your and suggest a color to use. Now the modern generation just peels off a sticker and sticks it into place in the book.

ASIDE: I think the change from coloring books and crayons to sticker books is indicative of a fundamental difference in child education these days.

In the primary grades in school back in the 1950's if your test paper was 100-percent correct, after the teacher graded your test paper she might put on a sticker in the form of a small gold five-pointed star. Today kids get a gold star adhered to every test paper that has at least one correct answer.

When you go car shopping for a new car, on the car window there is a price sticker. When the price is very high, the potential buyer gets "sticker shock."

The modern Boston Whaler graphic is called an appliqué. Merriam-Webster defines it:

Appliqué: from French, past participle of appliquer "to put on", from Latin applicare; a cutout decoration fastened to a larger piece of material

publius

Postby publius » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:53 pm

Thanks for the help and the education on "stickers.”

coachf

Postby coachf » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:15 am

[Please do not post any article that consists only of a URL. Articles need to have content and explanations of any URL posted--jimh]

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:24 am

ASIDE: There are hundreds of sources of fraudulent Boston Whaler decals available on-line from random shops. Identifying fraudulent Boston Whaler hull decals is very easy. The Boston Whaler decal with the harpoon for the Port side of the boat in the OEM decals will have the letters slanted toward the bow. The fraudulent decals have the Port side decals with the letter slanted to the stern.

portLogo.jpg
Fig. 1. An OEM Boston Whaler logo as seen on the Port side of the hull. Note the forward slant of the lettering toward the bow.
portLogo.jpg (39.06 KiB) Viewed 8180 times

For advice on where to get actual Boston Whaler decals, see the REFERENCE section article on OEM Sources and Recommended Vendors.

The CONTINUOUSWAVE website does not collect or organize information about where to obtain fraudulent decals, and links to unauthorized sources of decals offering clearly fraudulent products with incorrect designs will not be found here.