Converting roller trailer to bunks 13' SS

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
v12mac

Converting roller trailer to bunks 13' SS

Postby v12mac » Wed May 08, 2019 4:20 pm

I pulled the hull off the roller trailer (argh) and found damage to the glass from contacting the steel between the rollers. It's all repaired now and I would like to put a set of bunks on the trailer and trash the goofy tilty rollers.

I'm having trouble locating a kit locally so I've turned to the internet. I found this kit but they keep canceling my order:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KM ... UTF8&psc=1

I tried E-trailer.com but by the time I get all the parts and pieces together I'm over $200

Any thoughts on where I can find a similar all in one kit?

Phil T

Re: Converting roller trailer to bunks 13' SS

Postby Phil T » Thu May 09, 2019 8:58 am

You will have a hard time with finding pre-arranged kits because several parts come in many sizes and trailers are not standard.

When adding keel rollers to my new trailer, I found the most decent price/selection and service by Sturdybuiltonline.com in Florida. They have pre-made roller assemblies but the hardware is available individually. I also like their wide selection of stainless hardware.

While I don't know the exact size of your frame here is an example of what you are looking for:

hardware.jpg
hardware.jpg (39.61 KiB) Viewed 5210 times

These are the items:
U bolts - https://www.sturdybuiltonline.com/Galvanized-Square-Trailer-U-Bolt-12-inch-x-2-58-inch-x-4-916-inch_p_1053.html
Brackets https://www.sturdybuiltonline.com/Boat-Trailer-Bunk-Bracket-8-inch-Swivel-Top-Galvanized_p_277.html

You just need to measure and select the sizes that work on your trailer.

http://www.EasternMarine.com (TrailerPartsSuperstore) are also very good having used them for over 10 years.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu May 09, 2019 9:33 am

I can also report satisfaction with items purchased from Eastern Marine's Trailer Parts Super Store.

v12mac

Postby v12mac » Thu May 09, 2019 7:14 pm

Thanks for the ideas. I came up with a hybrid idea. I cut the rollers off and kept the mounts, then ordered a new set of mounts from Eastern.

Next is bunk placement, outboard of the hull stakes gives very little support, I'm thinking of going inboard but worried about stability.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu May 09, 2019 7:48 pm

ASIDE: to learn how to include images that will be hosted by the forum, read

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2569

Please do not introduce into forum discussions any discussion of how to include images in your post that will be hosted by the forum. These forums discuss boating topics. They do not discuss how to manipulate image files.

Oldslowandugly

Postby Oldslowandugly » Thu May 09, 2019 8:11 pm

I read Jim's advice on Whaler hulls and why they need keel support. I realized most trailers are not meant for Whalers. So I had a long steel square tube galvanized and I ran it down the middle of my bunk trailer. I wanted to extend the front neck anyway so it all worked together. I bought 10" wide tapered Stoltz rollers with stainless roller bars and welded up my own brackets to mount them. That way I was able to have four big mounts at the rear of the rig where most of the weight was. As it went forward I dropped down to 5" wide Stoltz rollers and bars. Altogether I have eight keel rollers and then bunks on either side. The bunk supports are available at West Marine and other stores as well as online. The bunks are just pressure treated 2x8's from Home Depot. As per Jim's advice, the keel rollers support the boat and the bunks are for lateral stability. Image