Montauk 17 Fuel Tank Tie Downs

A conversation among Whalers
jedd17

Montauk 17 Fuel Tank Tie Downs

Postby jedd17 » Sun May 19, 2019 12:50 pm

I just happily took ownership of a 1996 Montauk 17 with a Yamaha F50. It was seldom-used, stored inside, and almost completely unmodified from the day it left the dealer. This site has been a great resource already in getting to know the boat and getting ideas for some upgrades to improve utility for my family of five. Thanks for all the great work that goes into maintaining the forum.

I have read about many folks using a larger fuel tank, but for the moment I am planning to stick with the twin 6.5-gallon tanks that sit on gray rubber mats under the seat. I was surprised that there aren't any tie-downs for the tanks. Even the original owner's manual suggests using "an elastic shock cord, secured with clips to the deck and passed snugly over the fuel tank."

I hate to drill more holes in the deck than necessary to attach hardware.

Has anyone found a tidy tie-down solution for twin 6.5-gallon tanks under the pilot seat?

And when it comes time to drill, recommend a high quality bedding compound.

Thanks much.

Phil T

Re: Montauk 17 Fuel Tank Tie Downs

Postby Phil T » Sun May 19, 2019 12:58 pm

For sealant use a Boatlife Life Seal polysulfide sealant.

https://shop.hamiltonmarine.com/products/caulking-life-seal-white-2-8-oz-tube-2920.html
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon May 20, 2019 9:05 am

A good method to secure an object like an on-deck fuel tank to the deck will be a nylon strap with a convenient length adjustment and locking mechanism. The strap should have a width of about 1-inch. The strap passes around the fuel tank and also through two FOOTMAN'S LOOP fittings that are fixed to the deck. The Footman's Loops should be fastened with screw fasteners in an area of the deck with embedded reinforcement.

footmansLoop.png
Fig. 1. A footman's loop fitting, used to hold a strap to the deck of a boat.
footmansLoop.png (6.69 KiB) Viewed 6746 times

For a typical fuel tank, two straps may be appropriate. Often the on-deck portable fuel tanks have molded recesses in the tank which will be a perfect place for the retaining strap to be located.

When making a hole for a screw fastener that will pass through the gel coat layer, the diameter of the hole in the gel coat layer, a very thin and topmost layer, should be large enough that the shank of the screw fastener and the threads pass through without much cutting of the gel coat. If a screw fastener is forced through gel coat and tries to cut its own path, the gel coat will typically break with a radial crack. The rest of the pilot hole for the screw fastener can be smaller, so that the threads cut into the wood backing and obtain good purchase. The portion going through the laminate should not be so small that the thread cutting action crushes or pulverizes the laminate.

If you choose to use elastic cords with metal hooks, use a Pad Eye fitting instead of a Footman's Loop.

Exactly how to manage the hold down straps and cords, the Footman's Loop or Pad Eye fittings, and the vinyl deck mat is left to the installer to solve.

jedd17

Postby jedd17 » Tue May 21, 2019 9:44 pm

Thank you gentlemen.