John Greviskis Throws Evinrude Under the Bus

A conversation among Whalers
Masbama

John Greviskis Throws Evinrude Under the Bus

Postby Masbama » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:21 pm

Just watched Ship Shape TV. I know the host shills for his sponsors but he really trashed Evinrude in his latest episode. Said the E-TEC would never run right and left him stranded many times so he is recovering [re-powering?] with Yamaha. I thought it was very unprofessional.

Seahorse

Re: John G. throws Evinrude under the bus!

Postby Seahorse » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:42 pm

What episode was this? What was the episode about?

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:34 pm

See the introductory remarks in this episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cfQmPb-Oy8#t=30

[Fixed link so it takes you right to portion of the segment where the comments are made.--jimh]

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:55 pm

Please stop watching that. He is such a prat!
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

cc378

Postby cc378 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:39 pm

What a surprise, captain infomercial trashes Evenrude in favor of his latest sponsor, Yamaha? I refuse to watch that show anymore given its uselessness.. It is too bad because I would love an authentic boat restoration show.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:05 pm

I would rather take advice on what's best for my boat from the Kardashian's rather than John Greviskis....

Bertram_00-1024x922.jpg
Bertram_00-1024x922.jpg (110.78 KiB) Viewed 29146 times
Last edited by Jeff on Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
1993 23 Walkaround Whaler Drive - 1988 190 Grady White Tournament- 1981 15' Striper (under restsoration) - Curator of Everything Boston Whaler on Instagram

cc378

Postby cc378 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:00 pm

Well said Jeff...

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:23 pm

I find that so unprofessional. Really turned me off to his show.

Parthery

Postby Parthery » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:56 pm

New sponsor...that's what happens. They also repowered the Moppie with an I-4 F200.

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:14 pm

And looks like a total dog when they try to get it up on plane. See Vee looks stern heavy too.

Seahorse

Postby Seahorse » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:42 am

It is very surprising that a known figure like John Greviskis would specifically bad-mouth a product of any type so harshly. Whether he was encouraged to by Yamaha or if he did it on his own, he burned bridges behind him. Large companies are very fickle where they elect to spend their marketing dollars and perhaps next year at this time, John could be knocking on doors looking for a different engine advertiser for his show if Yamaha decides to advertise elsewhere. The fact that he bad-mouthed a previous sponsor on national TV could limit his future chances with other engine manufacturers who may think, "He might do this to us, too."

The other thing to think about is that if he had multiple problems with his new Yamaha, wouldn't you think he could just pick up the phone and get it fixed or replaced easily? Well, that would be the same situation with his older Evinrude. If numerous problems truly developed, a short phone call by John to the heads of marketing would set things in motion to get problems resolved very quickly.

Garage Dog

Postby Garage Dog » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:47 am

I agree with Seahorse.

I have not been able to find a link to the full episode where the bad mouthing takes place. Has anyone found a link[?]

Seahorse

Postby Seahorse » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:34 am

Garage Dog wrote:I agree with Seahorse.

I have not been able to find a link to the full episode where the bad mouthing takes place. Has anyone found a link[?]

jimh wrote:See the introductory remarks in this episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cfQmPb-Oy8#t=30

His Evinrude comments start about one minute into the video

[Fixed link so it takes you right to the comments about the E-TEC--jimh]

porthole

Postby porthole » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:30 am

Every time I have clicked on the above link the video starts just after his comments, so you need to "rewind". [Thanks for mentioning that; I fixed the link--jimh]

Link to same video that starts at the beginning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cfQmPb-Oy8
Thanks,
Duane
2016 World Cat 230DC
1999 Outrage 21, Yamaha SW Series II 200
1997 Outrage 18, Yamaha 125
1983 15 SS, Honda 50
1980 42 Post
1983 34 Luhrs 340 SF

Garage Dog

Postby Garage Dog » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:56 am

WOW! there must be more to this than meets the eye, but to come out and make comments like that on a TV show is something I don't think I would have done. What will other advertisers think?

John's statement that he took it to several different places makes me wonder why Evinrude didn't step in and see to it that his problems were resolved (by the factory if necessary) ASAP.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:46 pm

Often when re-rigging a boat with a new engine, the rigging methods can create problems with the new engine that aren't really the fault of the engine, but are caused by the rigging. I believe the boat featured on the television show was rigged by Greviskis himself.

hauptjm

Re: John Greviskis Throws Evinrude Under the Bus

Postby hauptjm » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:52 pm

So in listening/watching the aforementioned clip, I do not see the connection to the upcoming propeller episode and the trashing of Evinrude. What I mean is the trashing is almost gratuitous: it has nothing, really, to do with the propeller episode. Yes he re-powered, but again, the comments about Evinrude were inconsequential.

It's almost as if he went out of his way to throw Evinrude under the bus. This does not bode well for a show that is basically an infomercial for the recreational boating industry. I would be suspect of his motives if I had a sales relationship with him. His options to resolve a problem with an engine are far more in depth than any of us due to his market exposure of his partner's products. If he needed something fixed, I guarantee Evinrude would have repaired it or replaced the motor: that's a no-brainer.

This almost appears to be a vengeful stab at a vendor that wouldn't play along with some proposed offer.

Just my $.02

Acseatsri

Postby Acseatsri » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:57 pm

Re rigging an Etec- it's not rocket science. All the wiring is plug and play. The only thing possible to screw up would be adjusting the shift cable or throttle cable, which would just make finding neutral hard to find if adjusted properly.

On my old 2006 225 Etec which put a rod through the side of the block at 1200 hours, the autopsy done by the dealer and witnessed by Evinrude showed a piston wrist pin wasn't getting oil. The bores were pristine and showed no signs of overheating or abuse. The engine has always had a steady diet of XD100 oil. The ECM showed the engine spent .6% of its life above 4000 rpm, hardly what I would call abusive by any stretch of the imagination. Still waiting on the verdict as to what Evinrude will offer, but dealer is saying 30-40% discount on parts or a new motor.

Yeah, I know $hit happens, but it's about how someone backs up their product that really counts. I haven't heard of any 4-stroke cycle motors that lost oil pressure, other than Yamaha big block motors from about 2003-2007 where the bottom of the oil pan corroded away and lost oil.

Garage Dog

Postby Garage Dog » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:06 pm

I wonder if and when we will hear Evinrude's side of the story.

Acseatsri

Postby Acseatsri » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:16 pm

I would think the show has a legal staff or at least consulted with a lawyer before running the show. It would be libelous if the accusations were unfounded, so I would think there's some truth to the statement.

fno

Postby fno » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:44 pm

One thing to remember in this discussion is that [John Greviskis] most likely gets all this stuff for free in exchange for the exposure he gives the respective companies. That in itself slants any and all comments he makes in his show. I doubt we will ever learn what the [problems with the E-TEC outboard] were, be they big, small, frequent, or once. We all rely on some degree of word-of-mouth opinions while making big dollars choices in power unless our prior experience differs. Does it make sense to rely on a paid spokesman's opinions of good or bad? And [John Gerviskis] is a paid spokesman.

I have a friend who happens to be a very famous cave diver (albeit small community) that gets free stuff all the time from manufacturers because he is high profile. He tends to rave about every new piece of gear that he gets for free. Some of it is crap, some is top notch, but none of it will kill him so I take it with a grain of salt when he has high opinions. Usually that lasts till someone else gives him their latest and greatest and I get to hear about that piece of gear. None of this gear is low dollar by the way. By the by, my buddy never bad-mouths the previous gear provider, nor does he promote anybody's stuff for profit like [John Greviskis] does.

{Moderator's note: this article has been edited to reflect that the person under discussion is named John Greviskis. The author originally used a different name for the person under discussion.--jimh]

andygere

Postby andygere » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:46 am

That guy is nothing more than an infomercial moron.
1989 Outrage 22 Cuddy

Binkster

Postby Binkster » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:15 pm

Years ago in the early 90's when his restoration program was first introduced, I don't remember him promoting any products. Basically he was restoring old quality boats, painting them with AwlGrip, installing new rub rails, things like that. He did a nice job on a 20' Bertram. I don't know what his skill level was, he always had professional help. Things have changed.

rich

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:53 pm

Binkster wrote:Years ago in the early 90's when his restoration program was first introduced, I don't remember him promoting any products. Basically he was restoring old quality boats, painting them with AwlGrip, installing new rub rails, things like that. He did a nice job on a 20' Bertram. I don't know what his skill level was, he always had professional help. Things have changed.
rich

Yea things have changed, except in "This Old House" where they use the latest and greatest and professionals to better an old house at nobody knows what cost (except they sometimes mention they went over budget).
Like said before these are infomercials supplying us sometimes with useful info to use on our boat projects, take it with a grain of salt (pun intended)
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

Maverick

Postby Maverick » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:01 pm

Before this posting, I had never even heard of this fellow, so my opinion of his opinion is probably the same he would have of mine...diddly.

I bought a new 2015 ETEC 150 HO for my Guardian 18, and could not be happier with quality, performance, price, and overall installation A-Z.

I doubt I will ever watch his program, but he might get lucky one day. (:>

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:37 pm

I don't know where Greviskis' show is carried these days. Maybe if you have every cable channel in the world and you get up at 5 a.m. on a Sunday you can see it.

Ridge Runner

Postby Ridge Runner » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:58 pm

It is not shown on any cable system that services my area - I believe it has a very limited viewing audience.
Member since 2005
2005 170 Montauk, 2010 E-TEC 115 H.O.
2016 210 Montauk, 2017 E-TEC G2 200 H.O.

"Red sky at night, sailor’s delight - Red sky in the morning, sailor’s warning”

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:16 pm

ASIDE re the PBS show "This Old House" mentioned earlier in this thread with regard to how much their renovations really cost: I recently read an interesting book about PBS that went into detail of the shows, their producers, and the people who produced them and appeared in them--most of them now millionaires (with some multi-millionaires) from the profits from creating a popular "public television" show.

A chapter was devoted to the show "This Old House." The homes being renovated in the early days of the show "This Old House" were private homes, and the home owners and the show producers entered into contracts to have the home renovations done and the costs to be paid for by the owners. A couple participating in the show had purchased a house and agreed to have it become a major renovation for the show, turning it into their dream home at what they were hoping would be by work done by expert craftsmen at a reduced cost, which was their incentive to let their home be torn apart and rebuilt. By the time the crew from "This Old House" were finished, the project was several hundred thousand dollars over budget. The renovations ended up costing so much more than planned that the young owners were forced to borrow hundreds of thousands of dollars to pay for the work. When the house was done, in order to get out of debt they had to put their now gorgeous "dream home" on the market and sell it. Of course, viewers of the show never heard about that problem.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:15 am

The This Old House show has clearly gone way over the top with its renovations. I very much preferred the old show with real people doing reasonable things to their homes at reasonable prices. Many of the projects featured owners contributing a lot of "sweat equity" into the renovations which I applauded. Bob Villa was an interesting character with a lot of personality.

I continue to follow the show as I find it educational.
Butch

Binkster

Postby Binkster » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:51 pm

Ship Shape TV is regularly shown in Fox Sports TV, channel 31 in west Central Fl. on Sunday afternoon or evening. I've run into it once in a while. They also have a lot of good salt water fishing shows shot in Florida and small boat testing shows on When the Rays aren't playing.

rich

Binkster

Postby Binkster » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:35 pm

Last evening I turned on channel 31 at 8 pm and ran into the start of Ship Shape TV. So apparently John G. recently [decided] on a new Sea Vee 32' center console with twin 300hp Yamahas. The whole program was focused on the readying of his new hull at the Sea Vee plant in Miami. According to John, Sea Vee is the ultimate boat out there now. Of course the Yamahas are installed with every available option, and you wouldn't want to be out on the water without all this "extra" stuff. Twenty minutes of this half hour shown is spent praising Yamaha and Sea Vee. Then the final 10 minutes were spent at the rear of his intracoastal waterfront home on the east coast of Florida. He is having a new boat lift installed, and his massive dock rebuilt. The dock looks like it was built by fine furniture builders. Of course the builders of the boat lift and dock were interviewed. The shots of then rear of his home and the impeccable landscaping reminded me of the waterfront homes I have seen of a major league baseball player. John is truly a "fat cat" and looks the part.

rich

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:18 am

This episode was replayed this weekend. Still irks me to no end.