Non-prescription sunglasses with progressive lenses

A conversation among Whalers
flymo

Non-prescription sunglasses with progressive lenses

Postby flymo » Sat May 25, 2019 12:53 pm

Is anyone aware of a company making sunglasses with progressive (no-line bifocal) lenses? I've seen several brands with conventional bifocals, and I've seen companies that make custom ones, which are quite expensive.

Seems like a good pair of polarized, progressive sunglasses would be perfect for boating and fishing where you need distance vision on top, intermediate to see the gauges, and close up for working with tackle.

Jefecinco

Re: Non-prescription sunglasses with progressive lenses

Postby Jefecinco » Sun May 26, 2019 10:43 am

I have a pair of Maui Jim non-prescription bifocals. I find they are ideal for my needs though I usually have the RPS in the leaning post position while underway. The depth of field of the reading portion allows me to easily read the gauges and tie fishing knots. Before spending big money on prescription bi or trifocals I would at least try the stock bifocals. Unfortunately they seem to be available only with plastic lens which scratch easily. Sellers can get a "rebuild kit" for small money with new lenses, nose pieces and temples for the time when you scratch a lens beyond comfortable use.
Butch

Oldslowandugly

Postby Oldslowandugly » Sun May 26, 2019 7:05 pm

I can't help with non-prescription. I have prescription progressive polarized bifocals. I added the darkest tint available as well as anti-glare and anti-scrath coatings. They are great, but are so expensive I try not to wear them fishing. Instead I use my "old" prescription polarized bifocals for that as I consider them expendable.

flymo

Postby flymo » Mon May 27, 2019 7:32 am

I've tried "stock" bifocals and they just don't work for me, possibly because am used to progressive lenses. I do have a pair of polarized prescription progressives, but they are indeed quite expensive so I am hesitant to use them when out on the boat. I wear contacts sometimes anyway, so I thought a cheaper pair of non-prescription progressive sunglasses would be perfect - but no one makes them. Oh well.

Oldslowandugly

Postby Oldslowandugly » Mon May 27, 2019 9:23 am

I know good proper eyeglasses are very expensive. I have a friend that goes through the selection of stock glasses at the supermarket until he finds one "good enough". As my optician said- "It's only your eyes.....".

macfam

Postby macfam » Tue May 28, 2019 7:59 am

Yup.
My Maui Jim’s are polarized, multi-coated, prescription, and progressive (no-line).
They are admirable. NOT CHEAP! Around $365

djahncke

Postby djahncke » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:11 pm

I have had good luck getting glasses and sun glasses from Zenni. Their prices are reasonable so I have multiple pairs of sunglasses (both bi-focal and single vision) stashed at home, on my boat, in my car and at my cottage.

-Don

sinbad

Postby sinbad » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:12 pm

I am in the eyecare business, but not the eyewear part. Internet glasses work best for single vision Rx's where a quite a bit of lens misalignment is usually tolerated. Bifocals with a line are just a little fussier. Progressive add lenses need to be aligned vertically and horizontally within a millimeter or two with each eye, or you wasted your money. Just like boats, there are many models of Progressives. You might get a Boston Whaler lens or a bayliner lens. They look very much the same when you are buying. Until you wear them for a few days. I let a certified optician pick the progressive model best for my purpose.

I use multifocal (not monovision, I like depth perception and binocular vision) contact lenses biased for far vision when I am on the water with non Rx wrap around sunglasses. Splashes and glasses overboard happen. A cheap set of sunglasses lost is no big deal. In the office I use multifocal contact lenses biased for close vision. Driving, especially at night, I use progressive add glasses. I realize most do not want to be burdened with so many choices, but it works well for my aged eyes.