VENTURA or OUTRAGE Self-bailing

A conversation among Whalers
14thegipper

VENTURA or OUTRAGE Self-bailing

Postby 14thegipper » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:09 pm

[I am] looking for 17 to 21-foot self-bailing family boat. The priority is the ability to leave the boat on a day anchor for a good stretch of time in Florida intracoastal water. I do not want to [maintain self-bailing] by pulling the plug (as on a MONTAUK 17). My experience with my 13-footer is not so pleasant when pulling the plug: nasty water and dirty decks.

Do the VENTURA or the OUTRAGE boats self-bail?

Or, would a VENTURA or OUTRAGE need a pump and battery [to remove water from the deck sump]?

Many thanks

Jefecinco

Re: VENTURA or OUTRAGE Self-bailing

Postby Jefecinco » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:11 am

I believe both models are self bailing. However, I would not be without a bilge pump and battery on any boat with below deck spaces. If the boat is kept on a mooring or dock without a power connection I would consider installing a solar battery maintainer or charger.
Butch

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:32 am

There is no model that does not allow some water ingress when anchored to settle in the bilge.

A dry hulled 13,15,17 with a light engine, single battery and light fuel load will not have much water in the bilge or floor.

The amount of water depends on the hull weight, engine weight and distribution of fuel load, batteries, gear etc.

The Ventura and Outrage will allow more water ingress prior to stabilizing. Given your predisposition to water on the deck, you will not be content.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:01 pm

The best solution will to buy a boat based on how you will use the boat when you are aboard the boat, and not to buy a boat only on the ability of the boat to be totally self-bailing when left unattended on a mooring for long periods.

If you plan to leave the boat in the water in Florida, I would get a Sunbrella total cockpit cover made for the boat. Whenever you leave the boat, put the cover in place.

A well-made cover will keep rain water out of the boat. Any rain water that does come through the cover will be minimal, and it will collect in the sump. The rain water will be freshwater and should not support too much yucky growth, although there could be problems with mildew.

A battery operated pump connected to a fully-charged 12-Volt battery should be able to keep up with the ingress of rain water without draining the battery to a complete discharge, so long as it doesn't rain for 40-days, the cover is leaking, and you never use the boat in that time to recharge the battery.

I would run the pump off an isolated battery, not from the engine starting battery. As Phil mentions, a small photovoltaic panel could recharge the pump battery, particularly in Florida where you will have lots of sunshine.

A good cover will protect the boat from the sunshine. Nothing damages a boat, particularly the cushions of the boat, faster than continual exposure to near-tropical sunshine.

A good cover will keep the boat cleaner while left unattended.

A good cover may cost $1,200 to have custom designed and sewn, but it will be worth it.

A good cover will be easy to snap on and install, and similarly easy to snap off and remove.

14thegipper

Postby 14thegipper » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:33 pm

Thanks - full cover is logical - and those little 12v brick battery packs can be used to jump the boat as a backup. So never really stuck.

This helps a lot.

Now which boat is best on a mooring?

Deep V OUTRAGE
or
Flat Bottom MONTAUK

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:50 am

A very good fitting high quality Sunbrella boat cover for almost all models of Boston Whaler can be bought via http://www.carver.com for a far more reasonable price than a custom made cover.

The flatter the hull the more stable the ride when moored but if the boat is moored why is ride a consideration? Some rocking motion can be helpful by spilling any water collected on a cover.

The Montauk is not a flat bottom boat. It has a modified V-hull similar to a Ventura.
Butch

Mambo Minnow

Postby Mambo Minnow » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:34 pm

210 Ventura and 210 Outrage models are not self bailing. I painfully got underway once and forgot to put in the garboard plug on transom prior to launch at the ramp.

[To correct errors in a post, just use the EDIT function. Don't post a duplicate--jimh]

rtk

Postby rtk » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:29 am

I am not sure what model year you are looking for.

I owned a 1997 21 Outrage from 2003 to 2014. The cockpit was excellent at self bailing. There were two aft deck drains that exited to the side of the boat.

There was a below deck sump that very rarely had water in it. An automatic pump took care of any water that made its way to the below deck sump.

There were occasions when there was a good deal of weight in the rear corners of the boat that the deck drain scuppers were under water and it filled the in deck fish boxes. This only typically occurred when fishing and standing at the back corners of the boat. But while at the dock as long as there was no weight back there and the fish boxes were dry the cockpit self bailed very well.

During storms or rain events I always slept well knowing that the water would just simply drain out of the cockpit. Never gave water accumulation a second thought.

Rich

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:32 am

Can we define the term "self bailing"? To me a self bailing boat is one that will drain water coming into the boat from rain, spray or even a wave via the above deck scuppers. Removing the garboard drain plug and taking on water in a 21 foot boat should be no surprise. Boats are not supposed to be operated with the garboard drain plug removed. The 210 Outrage and Ventura models are self draining according to my understanding of the term.
Butch

roundle1979

Postby roundle1979 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:32 pm

My 2004 190 Nantucket (Outrage) has a self-bailing deck. Even when the bilge is 100% full of water, the deck continues to self-bail.

If you are leaving it for extended periods, I'd recommend:

—dual battery setup. Hard-wire bilge pump to one of the two batteries

—change through-hulls and scuppers to help eliminate risk of water getting in below water line

—get a good quality mooring cover. If it's used/2nd hand, clean it and treat it with 303 Fabric Guard (the stuff that is designed to treat/re-impregnate Sunbrella)
2004 Nantucket 190 w/ Mercury Optimax 135