Preparing Nantucket 190 for Saltwater

A conversation among Whalers
roundle1979

Preparing Nantucket 190 for Saltwater

Postby roundle1979 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:14 pm

Hi All. I'm buying a 2004 Nantucket 190 with the original 2004 Mercury OptiMax 135-HP Saltwater series with 150-hours. The boat's spent its life in upstate New York in freshwater. I'll be third owner. The seller has service records from a Boston Whaler authorized dealer. The boat has not been left out in the sun and has always been stored indoors. The canvas and cushions look new.

I'm getting ready to commission the boat for saltwater on Long Island Sound. I have a slip, and the boat will spend weeks at a time in the water. Before putting it in the water, a few questions:

Bottom paint and thru hulls. The boat's never been bottom painted. The surface needs to be prepared and painted. I'm planning to take the boat to Marine Max in Connecticut to have them prep the bottom, inspect through hulls, and paint.

Q1: Any advice re thru hulls, preparation, and bottom paint products?

I hear mixed reviews about the OptiMax engines. I'm planning to have basic 100-hour service performed as preventative.

Q2: Aside from plugs and lube, anything specific I should ask to have looked at?

The boat's batteries are from 2012.

Q3: Time to replace batteries?

Q4: If yes, what is your brand preference?

Q5: Anything else I should pay special attention to?

Thanks again,

Mike
2004 Nantucket 190 w/ Mercury Optimax 135

NLA01

Re: Preparing fresh water 2004 Nantucket 190 for salt water

Postby NLA01 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:08 am

It is very important to completely flushing and rinsing the whole boat and outboard with fresh water after each use. I say flush because i use large volumes and not high pressure on the hose to rinse off. Away to give your boat a head start is to clean it and give it a good wax before using it. This helps somewhat with rinsing.

The salt deposits on the boat with start to corrode everything that is metal. Not only that but water and salt will encourage electrolysis on metals on the boat and motor. I went out to the beach yesterday with my son to fish and play and I was in and out of the water with my Kershaw stainless pocket knife and it was covered with surface rust at the end of the day. Nothing damaging but if I would have left it in that environment for week my knife would have been ruined.

Make sure all metals on through hulls are grounded but I bet they are plastic on that boat. Tilt the outboard clear of the water when at the dock. Some people say leave the outboard down to allow the outboard to be grounded. but that it a gamble in my opinion. Tilted up, flushed out, rinsed off and covered is the way to go.

I flush my outboard with the outboard flush hose with with Saltaway. I run it through half way on the dispenser and then pause it for an hour and then run it through the rest of the way and then for another 10 minute. I use a water hose inline shutoff valve to do this. When I want to run the motor I have an 100 gal galvanized tank I run the motor in.
Congrats on your boat
Archie

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:57 am

Change the water pump impeller and associated wear parts in the water pump.

Discard the weaker of the two batteries, and replace with an ultra-high-purity AGM lead-acid battery rated for 800-CCA. These will run about $330, and possibly less on sale or promotion. Check Batteries-Plus, or Costco.

Replace the other original battery later.

The OptiMax engine will not run properly with a battery that is not in top shape.

Use the premium Mercury-brand TCW oil for the engine. Follow the factory advice about use of Mercury brand fuel additives for routine use and for periodic fuel system treatment.

Get advice from local professionals about which type, brand, and application method for anti-fouling paint works best in your area.

If you live in Fairfield county—I used to live there in the 1970’s—hide the boat dealer bills for service from your wife. When I moved there from Michigan I found everything cost twice as much as I was used to paying.

flymo

Postby flymo » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:13 pm

Don't stress too much over the saltwater. Yyour boat and motor are not going to dissolve. Just flush and wash when you haul, and you'll be fine.

Best bet for bottom paint is to follow the lead of other boaters in the same marina; they will know what works. Talk to the folks doing the painting and make sure they are planning a complete job, which involves launching the boat to determine the waterline, and then scuff sanding, a barrier coat, and a topcoat.

roundle1979

Postby roundle1979 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:29 pm

Thanks all. Great insight.

I've got a quote from my local MarineMax (closest authorized BW dealer); first time bottom paint is $45 per foot. Ouch!

roundle1979

Postby roundle1979 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:41 pm

jimh wrote:Change the water pump impeller and associated wear parts in the water pump.

Discard the weaker of the two batteries, and replace with an ultra-high-purity AGM lead-acid battery rated for 800-CCA. These will run about $330, and possibly less on sale or promotion. Check Batteries-Plus, or Costco.

Replace the other original battery later.

The OptiMax engine will not run properly with a battery that is not in top shape.

Use the premium Mercury-brand TCW oil for the engine. Follow the factory advice about use of Mercury brand fuel additives for routine use and for periodic fuel system treatment.

Get advice from local professionals about which type, brand, and application method works best in your area for anti-fouling paint.

If you live in Fairfield county—I used to live there in the 1970’s—hide the boat dealer bills for service from your wife. When I moved there from Michigan I found everything cost twice as much as I was used to paying.

Jimh,

Per the usual, really appreciate it. In JIMH we trust.

I'm moving from Washington, DC to Westchester County, NY. Both locations are stupidly expensive.

jimh

Re: Preparing Nantucket 190 for Saltwater

Postby jimh » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:28 am

Also in regard to the Boston Whaler boat hull being immersed in the water for a period longer than a few days: check the owner's manual for the 2004 190 NANTUCKET for advice about bottom painting. I expect you will find that Boston Whaler recommends an epoxy barrier coat be applied to the hull before any anti-fouling paint is applied.

Cf.:
Boston Whaler Owner's Manual c.1987
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/manual18-25/maintenance.html#bottom

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:30 am

roundle1979 wrote:I've got a quote from my local MarineMax (closest authorized BW dealer); first time bottom paint is $45 per foot. Ouch!

Verify that the process will include a two-part epoxy barrier coat before any anti-fouling paint.

Some messy jobs are best tackled with your checkbook.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:48 am

I must mention that I have been assuming that the 190 NANTUCKET boat has two batteries and a primary battery power switch that permits setting the engine cranking battery to be OFF-1-BOTH-2. An arrangement like this critical for a boat with an engine that cannot be pull-started and run without a battery. If the 190 NANTUCKET boat does not have such an arrangement, an upgrade to the boat's primary 12-Volt DC Power and switching is recommended.

An engine like a Mercury OptiMax needs to have plenty of electrical power during starting. These engines will be net consumers of battery current until they are running and operating at fast idle speeds, when they will begin to create enough alternator current to begin charging the battery. They won't operate well with a marginal battery.

Also, to keep the second battery at full-charge, use of an automatic charging relay (ACR) or voltage-sensitive-relay (VSR) to permit charging current to go to the off-line battery is recommended.

To see two recommended batteries, jump to SMALL BOAT ELECTRICAL at

Battery Recommendations <---a new MUST-READ article
http://continuouswave.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4648&p=26347#p26347

macfam

Postby macfam » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:02 am

Lots of great advice already given above.

I highly recommend Pettit Hydrocoat ECO. A WATER-based, multi-seasonal, ablative (slowly wears away) antifouling bottom paint. (Black, Blue, red, green or white) (soap and water clean-up). It does NOT contain copper and minimized electrolysis. Your zincs last longer too. It works great.

Here on Cape Cod, most of the local boaters, with boats on moorings or docks, find It totally impracticable to “flush the motor with fresh water after every use”, unless it’s trailered. Some of these boats don’t get flushed (like mine) until the end of the season. Properly waxed and rinsed is the best we can do. Our 2008 Mercury 60 EFI Big-Foot looks and runs like new. 11 years and going strong.

Strongly recommend Collinite marine wax products. 885 Fleetwax, metal cleaner and wax, cleaner wax, boat cleaner. On ALL upholstery 303 protectant (sunscreen). It works.

If you have cable steering, a STEERSMAN’s NUT is essential in preventing steering problems. It has o-rings and grease fitting to lube the steering arm and more importantly prevents salt-water intrusion preventing corrosion and old grease build-up. You’ll thank me for this one.

Anything you ad to your boat MUST be attached by high quality STAINLESS STEEL.

NEVER allow steel wool within 100 yards of your beautiful Nantucket.

The more things that can be covered with Sunbrella the better. The sun can be very damaging. Add a saltwater environment and it’s a Double Whammy.

Whaler, Edgewater, Grady, Pursuit, and a few more brands do very well in this environment. You get what you pay for.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:14 am

Regarding the Mercury OptiMax c.2004 engine:

This engine will be an early generation of the OptiMax. In c.2006 Mercury announced that the OptiMax engines were being improved and upgraded to the OptiMax The Next Generation (OTNG) series. The improvements are described in an article I wrote at that time. See

OTNG--OptiMax The Next Generation
http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/011847.html

The descriptor or branding as OptiMax The Next Generation was short-lived, and Mercury later began to use the term GENERATION 2 OPTIMAX. In general you can recognize the newer models by the use of a globe icon.

However, in the smaller displacement 2.5-liter engines, there were minimal changes in the OTNG or GENERATION 2 engines from the original. The major problems that needed correcting in the OTNG or GENERATION 2 for the OptiMax seemed to be in their larger displacement models.

roundle1979

Postby roundle1979 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:57 pm

Quick update:

Brought the boat home two weeks ago. The ride back from Geneva, NY to Rye, NY was interesting -- was pushing my Mazda CX9's limits (3500lbs capacity).

Anyway, boat's in great shape. I put it in the water for a week to achieve a 'scum line'. Put a couple hours on it and it has performed great.

It's out of the water now getting bottom painted (for first time) and a 100 hr engine service. I'm also replacing all through hulls (ordered through Nasuat Marine--great service so far); I'm replacing with the (crappy plastic/lego) Whaler/Brunswick units as I could not find a matching aftermarket kit from a company like Perko.

More updates will follow.

Mike

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:21 pm

Smart move replacing the thru hull fittings. Trust me, I know. Enjoy your boat.

roundle1979

Postby roundle1979 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:31 pm

Masbama wrote:Smart move replacing the thru hull fittings. Trust me, I know. Enjoy your boat.

Agree.

I cannot believe that Whaler (Brunswick) used this plastic stuff--it's hot garbage.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:00 am

I suspect the fittings used are Marelon products which are widely used in the industry. Look at a few Boston Whaler competitors and you may see Marelon fittings are used by them. As with any through hull fitting proper installation and periodic inspection are important.
Butch

InVision

Postby InVision » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:21 pm

Believe the post about replacing thru-hull fitting. My 2004 was a mint boat 170 hours, but the thru hulls were cracked upon close inspection. You do not want water to get to the transom. I personally did not like the Optimax. Mechanical nightmare. Very noisy.

Good luck. 2004 Nantucket 190 is a very nice whaler !!

M
Proud owner of 2004 Boston Whaler 190 Nantucket ! ;)

Boat Photos

svsonora

Postby svsonora » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:47 am

New to whalers but not new to offshore.

I second the advice for barrier coat. Not that you really need it if you aren't leaving the boat in all year, but its nice to get it done before you get any bottom paint on there. if you aren't confident with paint and finishing, maybe leave barrier coat to the boatyard.
Bottom paint is really easy. Whether you have the barrier coat or not, sand with something like 400gr. light on random orbital sander for flat surfaces, hand sand with flexible block for rest. Wet sand if you're afraid to burn through barrier coat. You just need to scuff it up. Then just roll it on. Its a pretty thick paint that won't be visible when the boat is in the water, so it isn't like trying to paint topsides. I do a quick and dirty job with the paint. I put on at least 2 thick coats on my sailboat, but its a sailboat that's in the water for 2 years before next haulout.

If its just a few weeks at a time in the water, I'd just get the cheapest ablative antifoul paint you can find. Its not a big deal. When people find recommendations for the locale, its for boats that are sitting all year around in the water. I prefer red so I can be found easier if my boat capsizes.

I'd also recommend - PFD with pockets, EPIRB, or at least a Garmin Inreach. Some sort of SOS capability. Whistle and small light on each PFD.

Good luck!

roundle1979

Postby roundle1979 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:17 am

Quick update on paint:

I've had a local pro perform the following:

—Mask off water line

—Clean scum (amazing how quickly it appears)

—Sand gel coat

—Apply two coats epoxy barrier coat

—Apply one coat ablative (blue)

—Apply two coats ablative (black)

The local pro does most of the boats in the area. He said that I should get three seasons out of the job (with some touch-ups).

Paid $65 per foot.

I am waiting on the arrival of the through-hull fittings.

roundle1979

Postby roundle1979 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:48 pm

1-Scum-Line_.jpg
A week in the water produced the scum line.
1-Scum-Line_.jpg (43.71 KiB) Viewed 10128 times

2-Expoxy-coat_.jpg
Here's the 2 coats of epoxy.
2-Expoxy-coat_.jpg (29.83 KiB) Viewed 10127 times

3 Ablative.jpg
Followed by a hard coat (blue) and 2 coats of ablative black.
3 Ablative.jpg (89.61 KiB) Viewed 18152 times

roundle1979

Postby roundle1979 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:50 pm

All new through hulls:
4 New through hulls.jpg
4 New through hulls.jpg (92.84 KiB) Viewed 18152 times

Lifting off the blocks:
5 Almost ready.jpg
5 Almost ready.jpg (116.23 KiB) Viewed 18152 times

Back at the dock:
6-Back-in-slip.jpg
6-Back-in-slip.jpg (14.82 KiB) Viewed 10130 times

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:43 am

Many thanks for the follow-up article. Your illustrations are excellent and very clearly show the work that was done.

roundle1979

Postby roundle1979 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:44 am

My pleasure, Jim.

Will snap some more photos when she comes out of the water (end of October).

roundle1979

Postby roundle1979 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:47 pm

My 2004 Boston Whaler Nantucket/Outrage 190 came out of the water today (November 4, 2019) for the first time since July. It's been cleaned and encapsulated in a few layers of Collinite No. 925 Marine Wax.

On-The-Hard.jpg
190 NANTUCKET in winter storage trim.
On-The-Hard.jpg (36.98 KiB) Viewed 10127 times

Overall, am impressed with how the bottom paint kept the growth at bay. Since the boat's been in the water I've not done anything to clean the bottom, aside from running the boat at 35-MPH at least once every other week.

The only evidence of growth or barnacles is on a small part of the engine, where it attaches to the transom and remains under water. In hindsight, perhaps I should I have had the underwater outboard mounting bolts prepared for saltwater as per the above.

My next post(s) will be about:
    1: Replacing all fuel lines (filler tube, gauge gasket, supply lines)
    2. Replacing batteries [both of my batteries were installed circa 2011]
    3. Replacing shore-power controller [it's a cheap Cabella's unit and does not belong in a Whaler]
    4. Installing Garmin Echomap Plus 74CV [my current 'fish finder' is from circa 2004--long overdue]
    5. Balancing prop and prop shaft [I'm chasing a mild vibration]
    6. Replacing both thermostats /waterpump [2004 Mercury 135 Optimax Saltwater Series--preventative maintenance]

Thanks to http://continuouswave.com/forum for helping me get back on the water for the first time since ~1996.

Until April

Roundle1979