1987 STRIPER 15 Source for Cushion, Ladder, Canopy

A conversation among Whalers
Joe87striper

1987 STRIPER 15 Source for Cushion, Ladder, Canopy

Postby Joe87striper » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:51 pm

Help me find a seat cushion and backrest for a Captain's chair of a 1987 STRIPER 15.

Help me find a steel ladder that will fit a 1987 STRIPER 15.

Help me find a canopy that will fit a 1987 STRIPER 15.

All help is greatly appreciated

jimh

Re: 1987 STRIPER 15 Source for Cushion, Ladder, Canopy

Postby jimh » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:55 pm

Joe87striper wrote:Help me find a seat cushion and backrest for a Captain's chair of a 1987 STRIPER 15.

Check with the OEM manufacturer of the seat for a custom-fit cushion. Boston Whaler often used seats made by SPRINGFIELD.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:57 pm

Joe87striper wrote:Help me find a canopy that will fit a 1987 STRIPER 15.

QUESTION TO THE OP: Are you asking about boat canvas, such as a Flying Top? If so, see the recommended vendors in the REFERENCE section at

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... tml#canvas

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:58 pm

Joe87striper wrote:Help me find a steel ladder that will fit a 1987 STRIPER 15.

QUESTION TO THE OP: Are you asking about a boarding ladder? Please clarify what sort of ladder you are seeking a vendor or source. If asking about a boarding ladder, do you want a ladder that is permanently installed? Installed at the transom? Installed on the gunwales? Not installed permanently? In order to offer advice you must give much greater detail than "a steel ladder."

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:02 pm

Please give readers an idea of the budget you have in mind for each of the three items, the cushion, the ladder, and the canopy. Having some idea of the range of prices you would entertain will help readers offer advice to you about where to find suitable products.

Joe87striper

Postby Joe87striper » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:29 pm

jimh wrote:

QUESTION TO THE OP: Are you asking about boat canvas, such as a Flying Top? If so, see the recommended vendors in the REFERENCE section at

Looking for something similar to Bimini top to provide shade while on the boat

Joe87striper

Postby Joe87striper » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:30 pm

jimh wrote:

QUESTION TO THE OP: Are you asking about a boarding ladder? Please clarify what sort of ladder you are seeking a vendor or source. If asking about a boarding ladder, do you want a ladder that is permanently installed? Installed at the transom? Installed on the gunwales? Not installed permanently? In order to offer advice you must give much greater detail than "a steel ladder."

Ladder to enter boat from the water. Would be open to something permanently installed on the back or something the hangs over the side

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:42 am

Joe87striper wrote:
jimh wrote:

Looking for something similar to Bimini top to provide shade while on the boat

See the article I mentioned in the reply you have quoted above.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:43 am

Joe87striper wrote:
jimh wrote:

Ladder to enter boat from the water. Would be open to something permanently installed on the back or something the hangs over the side

Visit a West Marine Store. They sell a number of boarding ladders from various makers in various designs. By seeing the products in person you can get a better sense of how they will work and fit onto your boat hull.

That part of a boat hull "on the back" is called the transom. Transom-mounted swim ladders are often mounted under a small boarding platform. The transom is about the only place on a Boston Whaler hull where a strong attachment point exists for a swim boarding ladder, and then only in the portion of the transom with reinforcement, usually in the center where the engine is mounted. Without a strong reinforced attachment point, the Unibond hull of a Boston Whaler boat won't be strong enough to hold fasteners for a swim boarding ladder.

joerockmore

Postby joerockmore » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:02 pm

By canopy, I assume you mean a Bimini top. I bought one from Amazon for only $110. It is not high quality, but it is dirt cheap. It was easy to install on top of the side rails, and the extra inches of height are useful. 1 am 6-feet 2-inches and just barely fit under it.