HONDA 50 Engine Warning Lamps

A conversation among Whalers
joerockmore

HONDA 50 Engine Warning Lamps

Postby joerockmore » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:58 pm

I have a 1979 Striper 15 with a Honda 50-HP outboard. I am trying to figure out the warning lamps--any info appreciated.

Normally I would look in the Owner's Manual, but the boat didn't come with an owner's manual and the Boston Whaler company website doesn't seem to have much in the way of resources for boats that old. I searched the Internet, and all I found was a manual titled "Owner's Manual for 9 foot - 17 foot Models," but this manual is mostly about how to install stuff on the boat, not how to use it. In particular, it says nothing about warning lights. Does anyone know where I can get a "real" owner's user manual?

jimh

Re: HONDA 50 Engine Warning Lamps

Postby jimh » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:17 pm

A 1979 Boston Whaler boat owner's manual will not have information about a HONDA outboard engine.

To get information about a HONDA outboard engine, you will have to get a HONDA outboard engine owner's manual.

For advice about where to get outboard engine owner's manuals, see

Outboard Engine Owner's Manuals
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/ownersManuals.html

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:31 pm

joerockmore wrote:I searched the Internet, and all I found was a manual titled "Owner's Manual for 9 foot - 17 foot Models,"...Does anyone know where I can get a "real" owner's user manual?

The manual you found by searching "the internet" is a manual I created on-line from a printed manual published by Boston Whaler. It is an accurate copy of the printed manual, and that, to use your language, makes it "a real" Boston Whaler boat owner's manual.

joerockmore wrote:...but this manual is mostly about how to install stuff on the boat, not how to use it.

There is a chapter in the Boston Whaler boat owner's manual on "OPERATION."

Perhaps you are unaware that Boston Whaler boats were not sold by Boston Whaler with outboard engines installed until recently. Outboard engines were installed at the dealer selling the boat.

joerockmore

Postby joerockmore » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:16 am

jimh wrote:
joerockmore wrote:I searched the Internet, and all I found was a manual titled "Owner's Manual for 9 foot - 17 foot Models,"...Does anyone know where I can get a "real" owner's user manual?

The manual you found by searching "the internet" is a manual I created on-line from a printed manual published by Boston Whaler. It is an accurate copy of the printed manual, and that, to use your language, makes it "a real" Boston Whaler boat owner's manual.

joerockmore wrote:...but this manual is mostly about how to install stuff on the boat, not how to use it.

Perhaps you are unaware that Boston Whaler boats were not sold by Boston Whaler with outboard engines installed until recently. Outboard engines were installed at the dealer selling the boat.

I was indeed not aware of this, since i bought the boat quite used. Thx for the pointer; I found the manual for my engine, and found the info about the warning lights that I was looking for.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:41 am

joerockmore wrote:
jimh wrote:

I was indeed not aware of this, since i bought the boat quite used. Thx for the pointer; I found the manual for my engine, and found the info about the warning lights that I was looking for.

When quoting prior posts, you should probably trim the quoted material to just the appropriate portion, otherwise the amount of quoted material becomes rather lengthy and tedious. For example, instead of the mess above:

joerockmore wrote:Thx for the pointer; I found the manual for my engine, and found the info about the warning lights that I was looking for.

Good outcome. I am glad you found my article pointing to resources for outboard engine manuals to be helpful.