No Classics in new WHALER magazine

A conversation among Whalers
FISHNFF

No Classics in new WHALER magazine

Postby FISHNFF » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:53 am

I may be wrong, but what hit me in this edition of WHALER magazine is that not one classic is shown anywhere in the magazine.

Before there would be a classic Montauk, a 13-blue-hull, a classic Outrage at least a model from the 1990’s in an article or somewhere.

This edition is filled with only current models available for purchase at your local Whaler dealer.

I know the main purpose of this magazine is to generate interest interest that will lead to a new boat sale, but I for one really enjoyed seeing a pristine classic featured in an article or some story of a hull with a million nautical miles that has gone through a dozen re-powers and still going strong.

Someday I may own one of the newer fancy Whalers, but my stable has always been filled at one time or another with Classics (1968-13, 1981-13, 1989-15(current), 1984-17, 1998-17(purchased new), 1988-18(current). I’ve loved each and every one!

FISHNFF

NLA01

Re: No Classics in new WHALER magazine

Postby NLA01 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:40 pm

I really feel that Whaler has lost touch with the boats which made the Whaler name famous, the classic hulls. I actually see more restored classic Whalers around here on the water in my area than any other single new brand boat. If Whaler were to start producing some of those classic hulls they would sell like hot cakes down here. Used restored classic Whalers around in this area sell for a premium. Even the non-restored classics sell for a very high price.

I understand how the company is trying to look to the future and appeal to what they think people want. I believe that the cult following of classic Whalers is alive and well down here.

While fishing in Galveston Bay a few weeks ago. There were two other boats at the launch when we launched and they were both classic Whalers. Then while fishing anchored near a channel north of Galveston Island we had four classic Whalers pass by one after another over a 45 minute period. I think my wife was getting tired of me saying, "Look there goes another Whaler". This was during the week and there was not very much boat traffic either. I should point out that three of the boats were fishing guides.

There are three separate fiberglass shops that specialize in classic Whaler restoration in this area, two are within 10 miles of my house.

I didn't mean to high jack your post but I wish the company would recognize their roots. It is the only reason they are successful today is because of that heritage.

—Archie

El Rollo

Postby El Rollo » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:14 pm

I agree 100% with your statements. Unfortunately many of today’s new boat consumers are drawn to features that the original 'classic' Whalers lacked. I'm sure the original classic molds had or have a lifespan to which they may hve reached the end of. It's a shame that they didn't or haven't re-tooled those old molds and perhaps still offered the classics by custom order.

I believe Boston Whaler did (and may still) offer a couple of the old classics from their commercial division.

Every time I see a barn-find whaler with no bottom paint and “garage kept” for sale, I wish i could purchase it. The good ones are getting harder and harder to come by.

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:32 pm

This is an interesting operation....
https://www.cherrywhalers.com/#shop-preview

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:24 am

The old classics are, by far, the prettiest boats commonly seen on the water. We have an unrestored Sport 13 with the usual spider cracks and dings. I would say it is in average to good condition yet it still receives compliments at the ramp and at fuel stops. But, it's not nearly as easy to maintain and operates as our 2009 190 Montauk nor our previous 1999 Dauntless 16.

Modern families with children seem to be incredibly busy. They are not looking for boats that require a lot of attention after being used. I believe Boston Whaler is on the right path for long term profitability.
Butch