Worth Buying a Damaged 13-footer

A conversation among Whalers
Frankdatank

Worth Buying a Damaged 13-footer

Postby Frankdatank » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:50 pm

Q1: Is this [the damage seen in illustrations below] repairable?

DAMAGED.jpg
FIG. 1. Damaged boat
DAMAGED.jpg (45.55 KiB) Viewed 14844 times

Q2: Is the boat worth buying at $300

Help me decide [to buy ot not buy the boat seen in illustrations below,

[I think the] inside looks good but the front end seems to have damaged fiberglass. There is damage on the hull bottom.

Q3: What model [is shown in the illustrations]?

The seller says the boat is a 1963.

Help me decide on this purchase.

The inside seems to be in good shape with the original paint and the serial number visible. The front and the bottom that look rough.

NLA01

Re: Is this BW 13Foot repairable and worth buying?

Postby NLA01 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:01 pm

It looks like the bottom has been sanded down to bare fiberglass and the front is very fixable. So it all depends on how big of a project you would like. If you have fiberglassing knowledge and like the work then yes it is very doable.

Does the hull have any water in it?

If you could get your hands on another 13 of that era you could take a mold of the front of the bow and the make that piece from your cast mold. Or you could make a cold mold for the part too. I would not try to free hand that bow repair.

On the bottom, you should clean and sand to solid glass and I would put a layer of glass on that bottom of biaxial mat combo on the whole bottom and maybe even sides. Fair it and sand it and fair it and sand it then prime and paint.

The inside may look okay but it may need some deck work too.

It would be a lot of work but to be honest, if i found a boat like that for $300 with a title in my area that boat would be sitting in my yard right now.

Archie

jimh

Re: Worth Buying a Damaged 13-footer

Postby jimh » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:28 pm

What breed is the dog seen in Figure 2?

Do you want to buy a boat?

Or, do you want to buy a wreck?

Frankdatank

Postby Frankdatank » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:54 am

Archie

Thanks for the input. The seller says it should be dry inside and no water but there is a provability, they have done some work, like removed a top grey coat that was applied and now the baby blue is showing. I believe they have sanded the bottom, to the bare glass so it would be a good starting point. The inside seems to have a small soft spot. How can you find out if the hull has any water? Leaning it to see if water comes out would be my guess but any suggestions are welcomed, I dont have fiberglass experience but very hands on with many projects and would not be afraid to tackle it. How do you recommend is the best way to fill the damaged foam? Is this a common problem on small 13 foot Boston Whalers with damage in the front? I have seen several with front cracks or damage on you tube or other online pages. Thanks for your help.

NLA01

Postby NLA01 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:59 pm

For extensive knowledge of boat repair look at the projects on this site,

https://www.thehulltruth.com/

The boating board has full boat restorations with lots of details and pictures.

That front damage is not common at all. But really any fiberglass boat repair is possible, if you know how to do it and have the time and energy to do it. I have seen boats where the whole side is crushed in and it is repaired to look new.

Look at this Hydrasporst boat on this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHgIRP8Th7I&list=PL4wVqoD5uLB4DHJCj2wk4RUuQImoxmI7f&index=49

It shows how they rebuilt the side of the boat from extensive damage. This will give you some ideas on how to do the work on the front.

Most people see a boat like this and think it is junk. That is what makes boat restorers different than most other boat owners. Most people want to purchase a boat to enjoy by taking it out. I see potential in these project boats. I see the joy of doing to restoration work. It is like finding a rusted classic car.

With that said it is so very important to understand the real scope of the project. My current boat 1995 Outrage 24 sat in the sun untouched and partially full of water when I got it. It sat for 10 years. My boat before that was a 1977 Lowpro 19 which was sitting on a trailer for 15 years and was full of water and had many problems. This boat was completely striped. If a empty hull. I rebuild that boat ground up with and installed all original parts, and all teak parts (I built some of them) I could find and sold for $12000. I did have a local Whaler Restoration shop which had the parts and could buy from. Some parts where new from Specialty Marine including a new RPS. And then many parts from Sue at Twin Cities.

So if you are buying the boat for the joy of working on it and then one day having your dream boat, then that boat would be a candidate. If you are buying the boat to get a cheap boat to use then I would walk away. The project will not be cheap.
Archie

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:19 pm

Second try:

Do you want to buy a boat?

Or, do you want to buy a wreck?

When there are several thousand older 13-foot boats in great condition available to buy, buying a wreck and putting a 1,000-hours of labor in rebuilding it makes no sense. When you are done the boat is still a wreck that someone tried to fix, and it is not a vintage boat.

Frankdatank

Postby Frankdatank » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:52 pm

Jimh

What’s your point, I see the BW 13s fixed up very nice and would like to own one even if I have to put some hard work in to it to get it there. Are you saying the boat is a wreck and I should walk away? Let me know your thoughts.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:12 am

Minor damage to a Unibond hull can be fixed by amateurs, but major damage cannot be fixed—by anyone.

The bottom can be repaired. The bow looks beyond recovery to me in the photo.

Find another hull without so much structural damage if you want a boat so you can put it in the water and go boating.

Buy this wreck if you want something to practice and learn fiberglass repairs. I don’t think you would be able to fix the bow to be as good as new.

You will have $1,000 invested in resin, sand paper, new tools, wood, fittings, and so on long before that boat is in almost as good shape as one you could have bought for $1,300.

macfam

Postby macfam » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:26 am

As Kenny Rogers would say,
“You’ve got to know when to hold ‘em
Know when to fold ‘em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run”

In this case, walk away isn’t even an option.....
I’d say RUN.....

dtmackey

Postby dtmackey » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:34 am

If your passionate about fiberglass work and restoration, then purchase it, but honestly there are better deals out there if you wait. About 10 years ago I bought a 1976 13' Sport with a galvanized trailer for $400. It looked pretty rough, because someone had painted the inside with latex paint and botched some bottom repairs and it sat for years getting dirty. It was a great restoration boat since it was solid and everything was cosmetic, so a complete sanding with Awlgrip inside and out was needed and the lack of an interior gave me a clean sheet to work with.

D-

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:07 am

I might tackle that if it was free...might. That boat is a wreck and by the time you put the time and money and a new interior, trailer, etc you could have bought a much nicer boat. In the immortal words of Joe Walsh....Walk Away!

Ps...it would fit in well in the Bahamas as they love to fix up old Whalers that should have been junked and repair everything with wood and marine-tex.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

NLA01

Postby NLA01 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:28 pm

There are only so many classic Whalers out there that have not been restored. That front can absolutely be fixed and look brand new. May be not by an armature but by someone with professional skills.

I have seen way worse boats than that sitting in the back of Orlandos Fiberglass in Kemah Texas waiting to be restored. Some are gross and black. He will is aways looking for trashed out boats to restore and sell. He is a certified Whaler warranty repair shop and his classic restored boats come out looks amazing. I am talking sick amazing.

The whole point is to bring back to life a classic boat which really deserves the rebuild. Like I said these un-restored classics are getting rarer.

That boat might not be for you or for anyone on the thread, and that is what makes people different. Most people like to go down to the car dealer and buy a brand new car or used newer car. Some people like to rebuild roached out rusted out classic cars with weeds growing out of the hood. One is not better than the other just a different way of thinking and seeing potential in a boat like this is what I see.

Archie

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:59 pm

There are a lot more 13-footers sitting in the weeds than there are 1937 Cord automobiles.

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:55 pm

I agree with both of you and I as many know have restored quite a few Whalers. The problem here is the many variables:

1) The bow can be fixed, what are your skillsets and what is the cost.
2) The hull can be sanded and re-gelcoated or painted, etc. Again skill & $.
3) The interior will most likely need to be replaced. We know what the cost is from Specialty or can he make one from scratch?
4) Hardware? I do not see lifting eyes, bow chock rubrail, etc.
5) Transom. The bulkhead style is not the strongest. This boat had a metal reinforcement on it at one time. What does it look like and is it strong.
6) Trailer and engine...how much?
When restored it is worth maybe $3-4k if real nice w/o an engine.

It is not gonna be worth what a 1937 Cord is.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

NLA01

Postby NLA01 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:58 pm

That is a very good point about the transom.

Frankdatank

Postby Frankdatank » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:49 pm

Wow a lot of good replies on many points I had not thought of. The owner did say there was a couple of soft spots on the deck and the transom seems to have several big holes for the plate to support a motor. Thank you for opening my eyes. Will have to possibly pass on this one.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:33 am

FRANK—deciding to buy or pass on this boat is really about what you want to do with it. If you want a big project to keep you busy for quite a while, maybe this is the boat. If you want a boat to put in the water and go boating, this boat is a long way away from being seaworthy.

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:21 am

Boat $300
Rubrail $250
Interior $700ish
Used trailer $650
Used outboard $1500+
Glass mat, resin, gelcoat, etc $1000 easy

I think you can find a really nice boat for what that adds up to and not have to lift a finger.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:58 pm

NICK’s analysis Is very acute.

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:18 pm

Yes it is and it is still a very nice 13' for that amount.