E-TEC 140-HP G2: A Closer Look

A conversation among Whalers
jimh

E-TEC 140-HP G2: A Closer Look

Postby jimh » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:41 pm

Evinrude is now delivering to its dealers their latest E-TEC engine models, a 115 H.O, 140-HP, and 150-HP E-TEC G2. My local dealer, Lockeman's Hardware and Boats, has received a 115 H.O. and 140-HP, and I had a chance to take a close look at the new E-TEC 140-HP model.

The E-TEC 140 G2 is an in-line three-cylinder engine that follows two earlier G2 V6 engines. The initial V6 74-degree G2 arrived in June 2014 and has a 3.4-liter displacement with a 3.85 x 3.00 bore and stroke. The second V6 G2 was revealed in June 2016, and used a 66-degree V6 with 2.7-liter displacement and 3.39 x 3.10 bore and stroke. The three-cylinder G2 was announced in June 2019, and uses the 3.85-inch bore of the 74-degree engine but lengthens the stroke 0.25-inch to 3.25, giving the engine 1.9-liter displacement, or 55-percent of the displacement of the big V6 engine. The big V6 can produce 300-HP, and at 55-percent of that displacement we might expect 165-HP could be possible. On that basis, a three-cylinder 1.9-liter engine rated for 140-HP seems quite reasonable. There is also a 150-HP model, which adds several performance enhancements. (The 150-HP three-cylinder will be discussed in a separate article.)

The initial E-TEC G2 engine was said to have been in development for five years, which would mean the project began c.2009. After the reveal in 2014 the engine went into full production a month or two later. The second G2 models came in June 2016 (about seven years into the project) and were immediately available. This third variation arrives in 2019, or about ten years after the initial G2 project began.

A major innovation in the 74-degree V6 E-TEC G2 was the design of the combustion chamber based on extensive and innovative computer modeling, which allowed almost perfect fuel-air mixing and total fuel burning, producing three significant improvements:

• greater power production from the fuel,
  • more fuel efficiency, and
  • lower exhaust gas emissions

Those were three terrific enhancements to the legacy E-TEC engine, and they are continued in the new in-line three-cylinder E-TEC G2 models.

The three-cylinder in-line E-TEC G2 engines are available with or without the E-TEC Dynamic Power Steering (now called iSteer DPS) option. Their engine weight varies by shaft length (20 or 25-inch) and steering options. A 20-inch shaft engine with basic steering ("Remote") weighs 390-lbs; a 25-inch shaft with iSteer DPS weighs 426-lbs.

All model use electronic shift and throttle controls, called ICON II EST. This means any existing mechanical cable remote controls would need repaclement, which may add expense to a re-power. Note that I refitted my E-TEC legacy engine with ICON EST controls, and I love them. The world of outboard engines is modernizing, and electric/electronic throttle and shift is really the new normal in modern marine engines.

In additional to sustaining the many improvements already seen in the E-TEC G2, the new L3 E-TEC G2 engines add additional refinements. The illustrations below will show some of these.

EXTERIOR VIEWS

1_ETEC140G2Overview.jpg
Fig. 1. Side view of the E-TEC G2 140 with new cowling design. The upper panel is easily removed to reveal the oil filler. This engine is in the base white color. Optional side cowling panels can be snapped in place to add accent colors to the engine appearance. The air intake is only on the Port side.
1_ETEC140G2Overview.jpg (53.74 KiB) Viewed 28273 times

Unlike the earlier G2 engine the side panels do not have a removable smaller segment. To add accent color a new “skin” panel snaps into place over the existing center portion of the larger panel. The skin panels are available in various color or as unpainted skins to be customized as desired.

3_RearView140.jpg
Fig. 2. Rear view of E-TEC 140-HP G2 showing the slim design.
3_RearView140.jpg (36.48 KiB) Viewed 28273 times

4_FrontView140.jpg
Fig. 3. Front view of the E-TEC 140-HP G2. The engine rigging uses the innovative G2 method.
4_FrontView140.jpg (62.54 KiB) Viewed 28273 times

The reversion to an all-white color scheme will be appreciated by many owners of more classic boats who were put off by the dark base gray color in the other E-TEC G2 models. The white color scheme may be migrating to other E-TEC models.

The first outward element of the new in-line three-cylinder E-TEC engines I noticed was a new and much different lower engine mount and suspension. Evinrude has given renewed attention to noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH) in this new G2 design.

2_Y-suspensionMounts.jpg
Fig. 4. A Y-shaped lower engine mount helps to isolate and reduce transmission of engine vibrations to the boat. The SLX2 gear case has its water pick-ups moved forward.
2_Y-suspensionMounts.jpg (63.9 KiB) Viewed 28273 times

The engine gear case is a new design, designated the SLX2 (Straight Leading-edge). The water pick-ups have been moved farther forward on the gear case bullet, as can be seen in Figure 4. above.

Now that we have seen the engine exterior in several views, we next remove the top cover. It is easy to take off; no screws required.

5_FrontPaneRemoved140ETECG2.jpg
Fig. 5. With the top cover removed, the oil filler is revealed. Note the two battery terminals at upper right. The three hoses are for fuel, remote oil tank supply (if used) and for attaching a freshwater flushing hose extension. Two cables are for the Private and Public Network connections.The third connector is for the remote oil tank electric pump (if used).
5_FrontPaneRemoved140ETECG2.jpg (83.69 KiB) Viewed 28270 times

6_EmissionLabel.jpg
Fig. 6. Also under the top-front cover is the emission label.
6_EmissionLabel.jpg (40.29 KiB) Viewed 28263 times

7_EnginePowerLabel.jpg
Fig. 7. The engine power label. For the non-engineers, 103-kW is 138-HP, and 177-kilograms is 390-lbs
7_EnginePowerLabel.jpg (17.43 KiB) Viewed 28261 times

The next disassembly was to remove the Starboard side cowling. [Article continues in next post.]

jimh

Re: E-TEC 140-HP G2: A Look Under The Hood

Postby jimh » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:35 pm

INTERIOR VIEWS

Buyers of the new E-TEC three-cylinder in-line engines may never see under the hood, unless they are really curious and remove the Starboard side panel. Once the baker's dozen Torx-head screw fasteners are removed, the panel comes off without much fuss, and the engine block and many associated components are revealed. But this probably cannot be done in the water, unless you are very agile and can catch any stainless steel screws that fall out.

8_StarboardSideViewEngine.jpg
Fig. 8. E-TEC 140-HP G2 engine with Starboard side panel removed.
8_StarboardSideViewEngine.jpg (127.78 KiB) Viewed 28257 times

9_VST_FuelPump.jpg
Fig. 9. The fuel pump and vapor separator tank (VST) are the same as used on the V6 G2 models.
9_VST_FuelPump.jpg (119.8 KiB) Viewed 28255 times

10_StarterMotor.jpg
Fig. 10. The starter motor is also the same as used on the larger G2 engines.
10_StarterMotor.jpg (104.25 KiB) Viewed 28255 times

11_InternalOilTank.jpg
Fig. 11. This custom molded oil reservoir tank is a snug fit into the engine cowling. I like the detail of the several small posts molded into the tank to serve as a guide for a hose. They are a sign of good engineering and attention to details.
11_InternalOilTank.jpg (70 KiB) Viewed 28255 times

The internal oil tank is also provided with a tank level sensor, allowing the operator to see the oil tank level via a NMEA-2000 multi-function gauge.

12_OilDistributionPump.jpg
Fig. 12. The oil pump and oil distribution manifold look very well designed. It is mounted above the engine and aft of the flywheel.
12_OilDistributionPump.jpg (79.99 KiB) Viewed 28255 times

13_FuelInjectorSparkCols.jpg
Fig. 13. An essential element of an E-TEC is the patented fuel-injector.
13_FuelInjectorSparkCols.jpg (105.48 KiB) Viewed 28250 times

Also shown above is the arrangement of the the fuel injectors with perfect vertical alignment. This makes for very short and clean hoses between injectors. Note the color-coding of the fuel connectors. A custom bracket holds each cylinder's spark coil to the injector assembly. Note above how the spark wires have been given a seal of dielectric grease as they exit from the rubber boots of the coil connection and enter the rubber boot of the plug connection.

14_GearCaseOilLevelTank.jpg
Fig. 14. Gear case oil reservoir and level monitor tank. The tank is fastened with machine screws to the Port side panel.
14_GearCaseOilLevelTank.jpg (83.39 KiB) Viewed 28246 times

As in the other E-TEC G2 engines, the gear case lubricant oil is monitored by a reservoir-monitoring tank. The tank also allows for thermal expansion of the gear case lubricant and some cooling. Note the molded graduations on the lower half of the tank. Again, more detail and good engineering has been used in this new engine.

15_FuseRelayPanel.jpg
Fig. 15. Fuse and relay panel, located top aft on the Starboard side of the engine. The cover that normally protects this panel from weather has been removed to take this photograph.
15_FuseRelayPanel.jpg (90.93 KiB) Viewed 28244 times

jimh

Re: E-TEC 140-HP G2: A Closer Look

Postby jimh » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:33 pm

Many thanks to Dave and Douglass at Lockeman's Boat and Hardware for inviting me down to see this new engine. By the way, Lockeman's now has FOUR outboard engine mechanics on staff, including Master Certified Mechanic Douglass, veteran Steve, and two younger guys learning the trade. They have so many boats and E-TEC engines crammed into the showroom there is hardly room to walk around now. I had to photograph the engine in a rather confined area, and that is why I removed all the backgrounds to eliminate clutter in the photograph.

If you are wondering what gear is located on the Port side of the engine, I am, too. The shop was so busy, we didn't have time to remove the other side panel and get more photographs. Based on the air inlet being on the Port side, I suspect there is a water deflector and not too much electrical rigging on that side. I also think there are some components related to a balancing shaft mechanism, again to reduce vibration.

If I get a chance to take a look in person at the Port side, I will append more images.

If this closer-look tour of the new E-TEC 140-HP G2 has raised any questions, I will try to research the answers.

Dave also has a 115 H.O. E-TEC G2 that he plans to install on a 16-foot boat he has in inventory. If the fine weather continues, a test drive is going to occur in the next week or two.

dtmackey

Postby dtmackey » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:48 pm

From Jim's post: "The reversion to an all-white color scheme will be appreciated by many owners of more classic boats who were put off by the dark base gray color in the other E-TEC G2 models. The white color scheme may be migrating to other E-TEC models"

The jump to a color other than white or the lack of a white offering at the same time as the other color options really surprised me. Evinrude moved to a white color years back and the other manufacturers finally followed suit with Yamaha being the longest to hold out with a white offering. I understand there are some that want to style their motor to accent the colors on their boat, but there is still a large number of customers that want the nice clean look of a white motor.

D-

rtk

Postby rtk » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:24 pm

Thank you so much for your excellent introduction and description of this new Evinrude E-TEC product line. It is also good to see Lockeman's Hardware and Boats is still flourishing. Lockeman's was excellent to deal with when I sold and shipped an E-TEC engine to someone in that neck of the woods. A truly valuable local resource that makes the boating experience an enjoyable experience.

Such a rare story these days that a service/retail entity that has been in business for this long still does well.

http://lockemans.com/Contact%20us.html

I like the light weight and the integral oil reservoir for the 140 and 150 horsepower engine. It is an outboard that will fit in very well with regard to repowering a Boston Whaler. A 400 or so pound 150 horsepower engine will fit in quite nice on a older Boston Whaler. Plus the extra boat rigging concerns of a remote oil tank goes away. Based on my experience with two E-TEC engines programed to run XD-100 oil the need to feed the oil reservoir is infrequent.

A 115 horsepower 3 cylinder around 300 pounds is what I would like to see next.

Thanks again!

Rich

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:50 pm

More about color variations on the new E-TEC G2 three-cylinder engines:

There are two base colors for the engine: a cream white called "Classic White" or a very dark gray called "Slate Gray." To these two base colors there are three variable color elements that can be applied:
  • the top panel, available in 12 variations
  • the side panel skins, available in 12 variations
  • the accent swoosh on the side panel skin, available in 14 variations

Evinrude has an interactive web-page that allows you to see the various combinations. I believe there a 2 x 12 x 12 x 14 combinations, or 4,032 combinations of base colors, standard panel colors, and accent colors. If that does not satisfy a customer's needs, then there are unpainted panels available to permit even more customization.

With all that available, I think I like the base white engine, a white top panel, and a a blue or red swoosh accent.

baseWhiteSwooshRed.jpg
Fig. 15. An E-TEC G2 with base white engine, white top and side panels, and red accent.
baseWhiteSwooshRed.jpg (27.94 KiB) Viewed 28177 times

Based on Evinrude's illustration, the side panel skin in white appears to be a pure white, and the engine base color appears to be a softer tone off-white.

The side panel color skins are fastened to the original side panel with Torx-head fasteners that self-tap into pre-set nylon bosses in the original side panel.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:27 am

PORT SIDE ENGINE COMPONENTS

As mentioned, in the walk-around photo session we did not remove the Port side panel. There is quite a bit of very interesting stuff located on the Port side of the engine block that I didn't get to see. Here is an overview:

Probably the most interesting feature to be found on the port side of these new Evinrude E-TEC G2 three-cylinder 1.9-liter engines is a set of two crankshaft-driven balancing gears called a Mass Balance System. These gears are asymmetrically weighted in a manner that counteracts engine movement from the reciprocating mass, producing a reduction of engine vibration. The side-to-side shake of the engine is significantly reduced. You can't actually see the gears, as they are internal to the engine block. The oiling system keeps them well lubricated.

Also on the Port side is a single 60-mm electronic throttle body, whose air intake faces aft. These engines are designed for all-electronic shift and throttle controls, so the throttle body is actuated by a servo motor. The throttle body output mounts to a long air inlet silencer. The air inlet silencer carries the air forward to the front of the engine block, and bends 90-degrees to join with the intake plenum. The intake plenum turns the air another 90-degrees, and it bolts onto the reed block, which uses the same G2 reeds as the larger E-TEC engines. The shape and volume of these passages are carefully designed to dampen resonances and produce improved operation of the reed valves across the entire engine speed range.

The engine management module (EMM) is also located on the Port side of the engine block. The circuit board assembly of the EMM is no longer potted, and it is held in a two-piece molded case. The elimination of the potting material (generally used in most prior EMM assemblies) may allow for some repair of individual components on the circuit board in the event of a failure. As always, the EMM is water cooled. The three-cylinder in-line EMM generates 30-Amperes and provides for a net 14-Amperes to 22-Amperes (idle to full-throttle) of battery charging current. The EMM also contains the usual barometric pressure sensor and the exhaust back pressure sensor. The EMM is fastened to the air silencer assembly,

The large electrolytic capacitor associated with the 55-Volt alternator is also on the Port side.

For most service, there is no need to remove the Port side panel; everything likely to need service--filters, spark plugs, thermostats, and so on--is on the Starboard side. The two panels fasten together with Torx-head machine screws, with the threaded bosses located on the Port side panel. When the Starboard side panel is removed, the Port side panel remains in place, held by elastic cords. This simplifies re-installation of the Starboard side panel. If the Port side panel is to be removed, a number of engine components which are fastened to the Port side panel must be unmounted:
  1. oil filler neck
  2. battery cables
  3. gear case oil bottle
  4. fuse and relay panel
  5. oil tank vent check valve
  6. cowling mounted trim switches

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:05 am

Very impressive. As a person who spent most of his adult life working on or managing those working on machinery and electronic/electrical equipment I can appreciate the engineering and concern for servicing requirements incorporated into the engine design.

Does the new combustion chamber design eliminate the need to index the spark plugs?
Butch

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:42 pm

Jefecinco wrote:Does the new combustion chamber design eliminate the need to index the spark plugs?

Good question. And the answer is no, the combustion chamber does not seem to have eliminated the need for spark plug indexting--BUT something else did: according to a Service Manual for the E-TEC G2 3.4-liter engines, the spark plug installation procedure is:

Installation
The cylinder heads of Evinrude E-TEC G2 models are manufactured with indexed spark plug threads. QC8WEPI spark plugs do NOT require indexing of the spark plug.

My inference: if you use the specified Champion spark plug, then apparently the cylinder head spark plug holes are uniformly tapped so the plugs will properly align. Thus the absence of a need to index spark plugs is not really due to the design of the combustion chamber, but the absence of a need to index the plugs is due to more uniform threading of the cylinder head spark plug holes during manufacture and a more uniform manufacture of the specified spark plug by its manufacturer (Champion)--they index themselves. I suspect the specified plugs might be more expensive versions which are very uniformly made with the gap electrode in the same relationship to the plug threads. Note that the specified plug part number has a trailing "I" which indicates the plug threads are appropriate to properly index in the E-TEC G2.

There is a similar note in the manual for the E-TEC 2.7-liter G2 engines, but the specified plug is the QC10WEPI (again with the trailer "I"). I don't have the service manual for the new three-cylinder 1.9-liter engines, but I anticipate their cylinder heads are probably similarly machined with indexed spark plug threads. With this three-cylinder engine being the third iteration of the G2 E-ETC, you have to assume the designers would not go backwards and begin to reinstitute the need for plug indexing.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:07 am

INTERNAL OIL TANK

The three-cylinder in-line 1.9-liter E-TEC G2 engine has an under-cowling internal oil reservoir tank. The capacity is about 1.8-gallons and perhaps 1.6-gallons are usable. Unlike legacy oil tank designs in which a float switch monitored the tank level and alerted the operator when the tank was low, there is a WEMA-type tank level sensor in the oil tank. The WEMA sensor detects level changes in 20 steps or 5-percent-increments. The operator is provided with a NMEA-2000 datagram of oil tank level. However, there is a little more to it.

Because the tank wraps around the lower portion of the engine and is rather long in the fore-and-aft direction, the level of oil in the tank at the sensor will change with the engine trim. The engine management module (EMM) takes the readings of the oil tank level sensor and the engine trim sensor and then computes the oil tank level by compensating for any trim angle changes. The EMM has a lot of intelligence built into this process. For example, if the engine is running with a very high trim angle, as might occur in very shallow water or when trying to power-load onto a trailer, the EMM knows at what tank level the oil pick-up tube will be higher than the oil level, and it stops the oil pump from running so that air won't be sucked into the oil system. The EMM waits until the engine trim is lowered and the oil pick-up tube is re-submerged into the oil, then it initiates a recovery process to give the engine more oil. In this way the oil system keeps air out of the oil lines.

The EMM signals to the operator a LOW-OIL condition when about 0.4-gallons of oil remain in the tank. This allows the operator to easily add one-gallon of oil to the reservoir, but there will still be plenty of running time available before the oil level becomes critically low. The EMM actually tracks oil flow by counting oil pump pulses, so it has a very fine resolution of the volume of oil remaining.

In rigging where the engine might be difficult to access, say on a pontoon boat with an engine set-back bracket, an external oil tank can be used.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:54 am

Jim - Thank you for the response. The BRP solution to eliminate the often tiresome task of spark plug indexing is welcome. I once spent the better part of an afternoon indexing a new set of spark plugs on an Evinrude V4 FICHT engine while it was in lifting slings over the water in a boat house. Even with the new owner handing me things it was difficult. Of course the task was made much more difficult by the physical location. Without the requirement to index the spark plugs the task would have required about an hour including clean up.
Butch

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:47 am

SLX2 GEAR CASE

When the larger-displacement E-TEC G2 engines were announced, they also used a new gear case, called the SLX gear case. These Evinrude three-cylinder in-line E-TEC G2 engines use another new gear case, called the SLX2. It is a new design developed specifically for the three-cylinder models, with a gear ratio of 27:13 or 2.08:1.

In outboard engine gear cases there have been three general sizes for the gear case bullet:
  • large gear cases with a bullet diameter of 4.75-inches (135-HP to 300-HP)
  • intermediate gear cases with a bullet diameter of 4.25-inches (40 to 150-HP)
  • small gear cases with bullet diameters of 3.0 or 3.5-inches, (75-HP or less)

The bullet diameter of the SLX2 is 4.3-inches--a new size. The gear case was designed to be able to handle the 150-HP without going to the 4.75-inch bullet. Because of the new 4.3-inch bullet size, a new line of propellers was concurrently developed for this engine. (More below on propellers.)

The SLX2 gear case contains an internal electric shift actuator. All the E-TEC G2 engines use electric-shift mechanisms in place of the traditional mechanically-linked remote shift controls. The shift actuator in the SLX2 is a new design but uses parts in common with the larger G2 engines.

The housing for the SLX2 gear case is new design and contains many refinements. The water pick-ups have been moved farther forward on the bullet. The bearings, retainers, and seals have been re-engineered for improved operation and easier assembly or disassembly. An internal manifold system routes water to the water pump from the pick-ups via a tube.

The SLX2 gear case is also available in counter-rotating (LH) versions on all three models, the 115 H.O., 140-HP, and 150-HP.

PROPELLERS

To fit onto the now slightly larger 4.3-inch diameter bullet, Evinrude has a new set of three-blade and four-blade propellers for the three-cylinder in-line 1.9-liter E-TEC G2.

RX3 three-bladed propellers in 13 to 23-pitch (in two-inch increments) are available in right-hand models. Left-hand RX3 propellers in 17 to 23-pitch are also available.

RX4 four-bladed propellers in 18 to 26-pitch (in two-inch increments) are available in right-hand models.

A new TBX hub kit is needed to fit these propellers onto the propeller shaft of the three-cylinder in-line 1.9-liter E-TEC engines.

Evinrude dealers will have the proper part numbers for ordering the three-cylinder propellers and the three-cylinder TBX hubs.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:19 am

ENGINE MOUNT

The new three-cylinder in-line 1.9-liter E-TEC G2 engines use a new engine mount. There are two external features on this mount that are immediately noticeable:

• a set of five holes for engine mounting height adjustment
  • external lower engine mounts and isolators set in a Y-configuration

Like all other Evinrude E-TEC G2 engines, the new three-cylinder engines have five sets of pre-drilled upper mounting holes for adjusting the engine mounting height on the boat transom. This permits raising the engine to as high as four-holes-up from lowest position. At Lockeman's Hardware & Boat, Dave commented that when rigging the E-TEC G2 engines they are using higher engine mounting position than used with previous engines.

The lower engine mount and isolators are referred to as double-focused mounts, and improve isolation of engine vibration from the boat transom. This new E-TEC has been engineered for reduced noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH). The double-focus mounts, the mass balance system, and well-engineered placement of seals, sound absorbing foams, and exhaust muffler all contribute to a very low noise signature and absence of engine shake.

The mount also has a newly designed hydraulic-electric trim and tilt system. There is a single ram hydraulic actuator driven by an electric pump encased in a plastic housing. The trim range is -6 degrees to +15 degrees. The tilt range adds an additional +54 degrees. The overall trim-tilt range is 75 degrees.

The mount swivel permits steering rotation of plus-or-minus 40-degrees, giving an 80-degree steering range.

As Evinrude has always provided, there is a very secure mechanical trailer-lock for retaining the engine in a high tilt position while the boat is on the trailer.

STEERING

The mount is also very craftily designed so that two different swivel supports can be installed: one for traditional steering via a tiller extension that will be actuated by either external hydraulic rams or mechanical cable rams; or an integral hydraulic steering actuator using helical gears that will steer the engine directly.

Evinrude uses the description "Remote" and the model designator letter "P" to indicate engines that do not have the integral helical gear hydraulic steering. The swivel mechanism contains just upper and lower bushings and oil fittings. These engines are shipped with a small tiller extension added to the swivel support. They can be steering by external front-mounted hydraulic steering, cable steering, or by mechanical tie-bar to another engine. A short tiller extension arm is installed at the factory and has three pre-tapped holes for attachment of actuators or drag links, as seen above in Figure 1.

Evinrude uses the description "iSteer DPS" (dynamic power steering) and the model designator "F" to indicate engines that have the integral helical gear hydraulic steering. The integral hydraulic steering mechanism is connected to a conventional hydraulic helm steering wheel pump via a special manifold assembly. The manifold integrates an electrically-operated boost pump that assists in steering the engine.

iSteerETECG2.jpg
Fig. 13. E-TEC three-cylinder G2 engine with iSteer dynamic power steering. Note the pin (bottom middle) retained by a small strap; it is used to mechanically pin the engine steering rotation by inserting it through the hole in the short tiller link and into the retaining boss on the mount.
iSteerETECG2.jpg (28.99 KiB) Viewed 27893 times

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:36 am

I like the fuel filter that still says "Johnson."

[Inquired about what other models of BRP or old OMC engines the fuel filter would fit. Sorry, but I have no idea what the range of older OMC models or current BRP models the fuel filter fits.--jimh]
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:18 pm

Gear Oil Bottle

Regarding the gear case lubricant external tank that is mounted at the rear of the engine and is visible when the Starboard cowling is removed: this tank is called the "gear oil bottle." Gear case lubricant cannot be added via the gear oil bottle; to add lubricant to the gear case the usual and traditional method has to be used. Lubricant is added down at the gear case filler hole using the usual pump attached to a bottle of lubricant.

The gear oil bottle gives a reference level for the amount of lubricant in the gear case. A no-oil situation in the gear oil bottle is an indicator that there has been a loss of lubricant from the gear case. The gear oil bottle also functions to relieve any pressure in the gear case, as well as to remove heat from the gear case. Relieving pressure and removing heat from the gear case are beneficial and should extend the service life of the gear case lubricant.

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:52 pm

Jim, this is a first class review of this engine. The review (and engine) are most impressive.

Q: why is Evinrude offering a 140-HP as well as a 150-HP version of this engine?

From this link:

https://www.evinrude.com/en-US/e-tec-g2 ... html#tab=2

I thought they were the same. Same bore, gear ratio, cylinders, and what not.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:52 pm

Steering System Designators

Regarding steering options and model designators: the engines with the "P" designator in the model number are one of two varieties available in the standard rotation engines. An engine with a "P" model designator is also described as a having “Remote" steering. In this usage, "Remote" is a legacy term and refers to the traditional remote steering of outboard engines.

The model "P" engines have a swivel assembly in their mount that is just a bushing. The swivel assembly does not have the helical steering gear and hydraulic actuators used in the "F" models. The "P" models can be used with various steering mechanism, such as a tilt-tube mounted mechanical cable steering or with more modern center-mounted hydraulic steering actuators.These models are the same as any legacy outboard that does not have integral hydraulic steering built into its swivel mount. There is a tiller extension arm provided for attachment of the center mount steering actuator or for a drag link to a tilt-tube mounted steering actuator

The "F" model engines have a substantially different swivel assembly. Instead of just a bushing they have a helical steering gear and hydraulically operated actuators that perform the engine steering function. In addition, the "F" models have electrically assisted power steering. The legacy term for this was DPS for dynamic power steering, but the newer term for it is iSteer. So "F" model, or DPS, or iSteer all indicate power assisted steering. "F" models do not have a tiller extension arm installed. Instead they have a shorter tiller extension to be used as a steering lock when the boat is on its trailer, the engine is tiled up, and the boat will be on the highway. You can see the steering lock in Figure 13 above.

ASIDE: While not yet available with these newest models, Evinrude also offers a further option in steering, called iDock. If an E-TEC G2 engine has an iDock steering option, it gets a different hydraulic boost pump assembly than used in iSteer that also includes an electronic control module. With iDock steering, the engine operates in two distinct modes. When being steered by the usual hydraulic steering wheel helm pump, it operates with normal iSteer power steering. But the engine can be put into iDock mode for docking. When that happens the steering control transfer to an electronic joystick which communicates electrically with the internal boost pump and directly controls the steering. This mode is used for low-speed maneuvering around a dock, and not for driving the boat at speed.

ANOTHER ASIDE: While not available on these newest models, Evinrude does offer a special option on certain 20-inch-shaft 250 H.O. engines for non-power-boosted hydraulic steering. That option is for very high-speed bass boats whose drivers have insisted on having more feel to the steering while running at high speeds.

Finally, the counter-rotating engines or "C" models are denoted as having both "Remote" and "IHS" steering. In this use "remote" refers to the engine being steered by its non-counter-rotating twin using a mechanical tie bar, as has been used for years. However, it is also possible to employ an hydraulic tie bar, which is the IHS designation. The hydraulic system of the standard-rotation engine with power steering is interconnected to the integral hydraulic steering (IHS and non-power-boost) of the counter-rotation engine. The two engines are steered in unison by an hydraulic tie bar instead of a mechanical tie bar. This is useful on catamaran boats where the spacing between the engines is much too great for a mechanical tie bar.

The steering configuration can be a bit confusing. Work with your Evinrude dealer to be certain to get the model you really want.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:31 am

[A sidebar on the performance of a different engine on a particular boat and the intentions of a a different outboard manufacturer on choice of horsepower rating has been deleted from this discussion of the Evinrude G2 140-HP engine.]

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:40 am

Masbama wrote:Q: why is Evinrude offering a 140-HP as well as a 150-HP version of this engine?

The 140-HP and 150-HP engine are not identical. In brief, the 150-HP engine has a substantially different valve arrangement, The 150-HP model will be the topic of a separate thread.

I don't have any basis to know the thinking of Evinrude in their decision to have a 140 and a 150-HP engine in their line. All I know about the 140-HP is based on what I have seen or what I have read in the specifications.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:21 pm

Cooling System

The most noticeable [element of] the cooling system in the new E-TEC G2 1.9-liter engines is the provision of a hose at the front of the engine cowling for attachment of an adaptor (if desired) to permit easy connection of a garden hose. This will allow freshwater flushing of the engine without having to access a port on the rear of the midsection.

The exhaust passages through the midsection are also now cooled with an external water jacket provided with cooling water.

The thermostat and pressure-relief valve (or blow-off valve) are now integrated in one housing.

The cooling system and its many refinements required about 14 slides in a power-point presentation I watched--too much detail to remember or recount accurately here. Suffice to say, the cooling system has been given a careful review and has some new engineering in these models.

Seahorse

Postby Seahorse » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:44 am

jimh wrote:Cooling System
The most noticeable change in the new E-TEC G2 1.9-liter engines cooling system is the provision of a hose at the front of the engine cowling for attachment of an adaptor (if desired) to permit easy connection of a garden hose. This will allow freshwater flushing of the engine without having to access a port on the rear of the midsection.

The G2 models since their introduction have a hose for the forward flushing feature in them. Some enterprising dealers plumb the flusher hose to a garden-hose fitting installed inside the boat for convenience or include the #5010004 accessory front facing quick-disconnect kit.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:35 am

Thanks for the mention that other E-TEC G2 engines also have this handy cooling system feature. I have looked at several G2 engines or presentations, and I don't recall seeing that feature or hearing about it in discussions. It seems like a good idea and a nice addition.

Seahorse

Postby Seahorse » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:56 pm

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:24 am

I don't have the horsepower curve for the E-TEC 140-HP model, but here is one for its lower-rated 115 H.O. relative:

ETEC-115H)_HP_Curve.jpg
Fig. 14. Propeller shaft horsepower curve for new E-TEC 115 H.O. three-cylinder 1.9-liter engine; from Evinrude dealer presentation.
ETEC-115H)_HP_Curve.jpg (18.75 KiB) Viewed 12083 times

As this plot shows, the 115 H.O. engine is making 115-HP at 3,800-RPM, and output increases to 125-HP from 4,500 to 6,000-RPM, a very wide power band.

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:54 am

This curve is done on a dyno. Obviously a motor would not make full hp at 4500-6k or else your fuel mileage would suffer big time in real boating conditions. If this was not the case, you would be burning roughly 11gph at 3800 where in reality most 115's at 3800 and propped to redline at 6k, would be burning in my opinion 4.5 - 5.5gph.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

dtmackey

Postby dtmackey » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:42 pm

a good friend of mine just purchased the new G2 140hp and will be mounting it on 80s vintage 18 Outrage. I think it will be a great motor for that boat.

D-

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:51 pm

D - I was just about to post the same thing. He's making good progress.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

ConB

Postby ConB » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:39 am

Very interested in the details. Keep us posted.
Con
!987 Outrage 18 / 2011 Yamaha F150
1969 13 / 30hp Johnson tiller