2020 170 MONTAUK II in Whalertowne Blue

A conversation among Whalers
MikeF1

2020 170 MONTAUK II in Whalertowne Blue

Postby MikeF1 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:44 pm

I was in Annapolis this weekend and stopped in the Boston Whaler dealer [later revealed to be Chesapeake Whalertowne's Annapolis store] just for kicks. They had a [2020 170 MONTAUK II] on display with a [custom gel coat color blue hull liner]. [A sales representative] said] there were only three made this way: the one I was looking at, one owned by Jerry Seinfeld, and another one somewhere else. This one had a $44,000 asking price. It did look good.

Coincidently, last night we were watching "Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee" (a television show) and there was Seinfeld and his blue decked Whaler. It looked like a 15'. His deck looked a little darker than the one in the shop.

Q1: [Is there] an[y] other information on these boats?

Mike
1982 Montauk

Chuck L

Re: Blue Decked Whalers

Postby Chuck L » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:20 pm

Q2: Are we talking a new hull 17?

Q3: What year?

I did see the Coffee and Cars episode with Seinfeld and that is a classic 13' that has been fully restored as only Seinfeld would have. Not sure if Seinfeld owns another one that this one but he could I imagine.

If you were looking at a new 17, it would not have a classic blue interior (unless custom). Brunswick--which now owns Boston Whaler and Mercury Marine--changed the classic cream exterior color and blue (early) or tan (later) to an all bright-white color scheme inside and out. I personally hate the all-white color scheme, and the new hull shape. We have a few of the new ones here and I just don't think the have the same draw as the older models--why I own two older models.

Chuck L
1966 13' Classic
1965 17' Eastport
1972 15' Super Sport
1986 27' Center Console Cutty

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:46 pm

It used to be that through their commercial division you could order any color you wanted. When I totaled my Montauk in 2001 or so, I was going to order a bare hull from Ft Lauderdale marine and they come in grey. I was going to leave the grey interior and have the outside done in pink so it would match my 63' Viking (I wish but they had the same color scheme). It was, I think, an extra $500 per. So outside was $500 and inside was another $500 but I liked the grey interior. It never happened however as I came across a sweet and very rare factory Newtauk which is a Newport hull with a Montauk console. A Dealer in Jacksonville had a couple dozen custom ordered back in the 1980's.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

Chuck L

Postby Chuck L » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:02 am

I called the dealer in Annapolis [who has the $44,000 blue-decked 17-footer] myself and here is what he told me.

[The boat with blue deck mentioned above] is a brand-new 17-footer that was custom made for the dealership by Boston Whaler. The boat has a blue interior but [the hull design is the] new [170 MONTAUK] hull [with] some teak accents, varnish, and a custom fish box.

[The description of the boat as provided by the dealer in a telephone conversation] sounded amazing.

[The boat with blue deck mentioned above] has a 115-HP engine instead of the stock 90-HP. There is a trailer.

This all adds up to the [$44,000 asking price that is mentioned] above.

Chuck L.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:10 pm

Thanks for the clarification that the $44,000 boat offered for sale at a an unidentified dealer known to be located in Annapolis, Maryland is a newly built 170 MONTAUK with a different "deck" gel coat, some added wooden trim, and a 115-HP engine. Of course, having a good picture of the boat would be a much better way to appreciate the appearance of this boat.

I am still completely confused about the reference to Jerry Seinfeld, his television show, and a Boston Whaler boat seen in the show. Above in several comments the boat is described as a 13-footer, a 15-footer, and a 17-footer. I cannot imagine there could be so much confusion about what boat is seen in the program. Five years ago (2014) when the episode was first discussed the boat was mentioned as a 13-footer. In 2018 a discussion was proposed on the topic of Jerry Seinfeld's Boston Whaler boat, which elicited pointers to many prior discussions on the topic:

Cf.: Jerry Sienfeld's Whaler
http://continuouswave.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3077&p=17604

The reference to Seinfeld as owning one of the new 170 MONTAUK custom-ordered with blue interior is interesting. I doubt the $44,000 price would be an impediment for him. However, a price of $44,000 for a new 170 MONTAUK is not particularly out of the ordinary. In a discussion earlier this year on the topic of retail prices for 2019 170 MONTAUK boats, there were at least two citations of boat show "deals" on those boats in the range of $42,000 to $43,000, and with the standard 90-HP engines. That a custom-ordered boat with a custom gel coat color and other details like varnished teak and the upgrade to the optional 115-HP engine (see below) is available at $44,000 does not seem to be a particularly steep or premium price to pay for a new 170 MONTAUK these days.

Cf.: 2019 170 MONTAUK Retail Prices
http://continuouswave.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4292&p=24495

Regarding the deck color being "light blue" (mentioned in the initial post), there is a optional color available from Boston Whaler for a 170 MONTAUK called (coincidentally) "Light Blue." The option is usually for the hull to be the non-white color, not the deck. For the deck to be a different color than the standard "White" does suggest a special order. Since the deck and hull are laid up as two separate components, there should not be much trouble to get the deck component sprayed with a different gel coat color. Here I assume that the deck and the cockpit are the same color. That leads to another question:

Q4: what color is the console, the seat base, and the special fish well?

If we just had a picture of the boat that is the topic of this discussion, we'd know a lot more about it.

Boston Whaler offers the 115-HP as an option. It is only a $1,121 up-charge, and it seems like it would be a popular option for that price.

A MONTAUK 170 base price includes a trailer. There is an option to DELETE the trailer, which reduces the price by $1,087, or an option to add brakes and radial tires to the trailer, only a $260 up-charge. That the $44,000 boat includes a trailer is probably not a significant influence on the price compared to the base boat price.

On the notion of exclusivity of this configuration to three boats having been built, I suspect that Boston Whaler would be able to build more boats like these if a dealer ordered them, although perhaps there might be a minimum quantity necessary to warrant the special gel coat color for the "deck."

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:01 am

That is weird: $1,087 for a trailer credit. Where can you buy a new trailer for a G-note?

On the flip only $260 for brakes and radials is a screaming deal.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:52 am

The teak boarding step on the midship gunwales option is only $232. Or you can get the teak boarding steps and a swim ladder with teak flooring for $513. Both prices sound reasonable.

Again, since I have never seen the $44,000 boat (or a picture of it) that is the topic of this discussion, it is impossible to know if the reference to "teak" and "varnish" is just to a boat with these normal factory options, or to something else.

As for the "custom fish box", there is an option available for a livewell that is located under the pilot seat. That is a bit more expensive at $1,156. I would anticipate any "custom fish box" would not be below the cockpit deck. An installation like that done at a dealer would probably void the hull warranty.

MikeF1

Postby MikeF1 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:34 am

OP here. Mea culpa for not taking pictures. We own a [1982] Montauk so this one caught our eyes as we walked by the showroom. I don't recall if it was just the deck or the entire cockpit that was light blue. My best recollection is the entire cockpit. This is a beautiful boat and I'm surprised the dealer (Chesapeake Whalertown) doesn't have pics on the web site. As to the Seinfeld thing - the boat on the show did look like a restoration and was definitely a much darker blue.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:27 pm

The current model of the Montauk 170 should be referred to as the Montauk 170 II to differentiate it from the 1st generation, 2003-2017.

The two models have significant differences.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Re: 2020 170 MONTAUK II in Whalertowne Blue

Postby jimh » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:39 am

Once the identity of the dealer was revealed, I called Chesapeake Whalertowne by telephone. I spoke with a very nice fellow there, Bart H. I told him that their unusual 2020 Boston Whaler 170 MONTAUK II with the blue hull liner was a topic of discussion on CONTINUOUSWAVE.COM, but there were no photographs. He very kindly sent me these images:

60.jpg
Fig. 1. A 2020 Boston Whaler 170 MONTAUK II with a custom gel coat color on the hull liner on the showroom floor at Chesapeake Whalertowne's Annapolis store.
60.jpg (59.79 KiB) Viewed 4705 times

63a.jpg
Fig. 2. Custom three-drawer tackle storage locker has been added to the center console. This is NOT the usual "Fishing Package" optional tackle drawer.
63a.jpg (24.1 KiB) Viewed 4691 times

65.jpg
Fig. 3. The boat has the optional teak boarding steps. The hull colors are somewhat hard to know for certain because this image has mixed lighting. The console color looks more like a special order in Desert Tan, but in the small portion lit by sunlight it looks white.
65.jpg (57.85 KiB) Viewed 4705 times

66.jpg
Fig. 4. This boat has the 115-HP FOURSTROKE engine and the swim ladder with teak surface options.
66.jpg (70.76 KiB) Viewed 4705 times

67.jpg
Fig. 5. In this view with mixed light sources the center console again looks white on the sunlit portion, and tan on the store lighting portion.
67.jpg (61.39 KiB) Viewed 4705 times

62.jpg
Fig. 6. Center console with entertainment system and chart plotter; both are likely factory-added options. I believe the fire extinguisher is a standard accessory.
62.jpg (54.36 KiB) Viewed 4684 times

Photo credits: all images by Bart H. with some color corrections by jimh.

Regarding the number of Boston Whaler 170 MONTAUK II boats built this way, I got a different story. There is only this 170 model, but a similar blue hull liner version was made in a 190 MONTAUK, said to have been special ordered for a customer named Jerry Seinfeld. Also, contrary to an earlier comment, I don't see any varnished teak on this boat. The teak--if it really is actual teak wood--looks like it has an oiled finish.

The "custom fish box" mentioned in a narrative report is also not found; instead there is a nice three-drawer storage compartment in the center console. I suspect this assembly is something used on other Boston Whaler boats and adapted for this special order build. It also matches the console color. That match tends to suggest the console color is the standard Boston Whaler "white" gel coat.

This boat appears to have two electronic options added: a Raymarine chart plotter is visible on the console and a audio playback or amplifier and JL Audio loudspeaker are also seen. I don't see a VHF Marine Band radio.

As mentioned, the photographs were taken in a very mixed lighting environment, so the precise colors of the blue hull liner and the center console may be not accurately shown in these images. I tried to make some color corrections based on the notion that the console color was the standard Boston Whaler white gel coat. However, I don't think the standard Boston Whaler white is a pure titanium white. In their own gallery of pictures of the 170 MONTAUK, Boston Whaler shows the center console gel coat color as an off-white with a hint of tan. You can see a big contrast with the JL Audio speaker grills made in white plastic. This is also seen in Figure 2, above.

The hull liner was described as a gel coat finish, which I think is significant. The cockpit deck will be taking a lot of wear, and I would not want to be continually walking on or continually scrubbing clean a paint finish deck surface.

I think this is a very nicely configured 170 MONTAUK II, and it certainly would stand out in a crowd with the blue hull liner. If going for a custom look, I would try to get the Mercury engine in white or off-white paint. I know Brunswick is offering that option on their VERADO FOURSTROKE engines--although it comes at quite a premium cost--and having an off-white engine would really make this 170 MONTAUK II become very distinctive with a traditional or legacy appearance.

Cheseapeake Whalertowne has received several inquiries about this boat, and perhaps some of that was from this discussion about it.

Also, Cheseapeake Whalertowne is having an owner's event on Saturday, December 14 during the local parade of lights, and invites Boston Whaler owners to drop in to see this custom 2020 170 MONTAUK II boat--before someone else buys it.

jimh

Re: 2020 170 MONTAUK II in Whalertowne Blue

Postby jimh » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:32 am

I just spoke with Bart at Whalertowne: this custom blue-interior 170 MONTAUK II is still available.