First time buyer: 190 Montauk Ride

A conversation among Whalers
bmat5

First time buyer: 190 Montauk Ride

Postby bmat5 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:02 pm

I’m considering buying my first boat. I’ve always admired Boston Whaler boats and known them for their high quality. Naturally, Boston Whaler boats were the first boats on my shopping list.

As I’ve begun to consider my boating needs, and the many alternatives, I’ve realized there is quite a bit to evaluate. I’ve begun with the 170 Montauk. I am impressed with what the 170 MONTAUK has to offer, yet I quickly realized it won’t be enough when our family of five is aboard.

I’m looking for input on the 2020 190 Montauk. My boating needs include the following:
  • Manageable size
  • simple to own and maintain
  • inshore family use on the Barnegat Bay NJ for cruising to sand bars
  • water sports and some fishing.

I have no aspirations of taking a watercraft of this size beyond the bay. The boat will be kept at our family home and primarily used for enjoyment on nice days, with good conditions.

The more one evaluates, the more input one receives about the 2020 190 MONTAUK and other brand options.

Boston Whaler boats have a reputation for being a bit hard riding, especially in chop.

Is the post-2018 190 MONTAUK hull design better riding [than the prior hull design of the 190 MONTAUK]?

Some have suggested the new 2020 190 Montauk is more like 180 Outrage in terms of ride quality.

Others contend it will be hard riding and wet.

Additionally, there are no shortage of boat owners who steer you toward other brands as being a better value.

I would appreciate any insight and opinions from those familiar with the newer hull design 2020 190 MONTAUK boat, and familiar with Barnegat Bay or similar boating conditions.

Thanks in advance

jimh

Re: First time buyer and 190 Montauk

Postby jimh » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:00 pm

Regarding the ride quality of a 19-foot boat going into head seas with closely spaced waves:

I would like to relate an anecdote I observed first-hand many years ago while out in a bay--in this case Georgian Bay--in a Boston Whaler OUTRAGE 18. We had quite a crowd aboard--four adults as I remember. We were going upwind into moderate waves, about two-footers, and the wave period was short, maybe spaced not more than 10-feet apart. (I don't know if this meets your definition of "chop" but the conditions are typical for a bay. On a bay you are unlikely to get waves in the form of swell, that is, waves with crests separated by 50 to 100-feet.)

The ride quality was very far from comfortable. I am sure everyone was waiting for the passage to be over. Unfortunately, we had about 60-miles to go—Georgian Bay is a rather large bay, you see.

About mid-way in the trip, we encountered another boat. It was a true yacht, a classic old 85-footer, long and narrow, with a displacement hull, and a beautiful rounded-stern fantail. This yacht was very smoothly going downwind in the wind and wave conditions, with no sign of any unusual motion. We happened to pass close abeam, close enough for me to see two elderly ladies having breakfast and tea at a table of the fantail.

As I stood there in the cockpit of the 18-foot Boston Whaler boat, banging into those close-spaced head seas, I recalled an old saying from England about yachting: "Gentlemen only sail downwind."

The point of my long story: don't think that some minor tweak to the hull form of a 19-foot boat is going to cause its ride characteristics to remarkably change when trying to run on plane into closely-spaced head seas. A 19-foot Boston Whaler hull is not going to give you a ride smooth enough to sip tea and eat breakfast in those conditions. If you hear some dock talk about another brand that will do that, you should ignore it. The notion that among all boats, only a Boston Whaler boat will be "hard-riding in chop" is particularly specious.

If you need a boat to go upwind into short-spaced two-footers without causing any motion on the hull, you are going to need a much bigger boat than a 19-footer.

The hull design of a c.2020 190 MONTAUK is a compromise, like all hull designs. It's nicely wide and stable. It tracks wonderfully downwind. It does not "slice through" tall head seas. Boats that are long and narrow and have a deep-V hull might give a better ride into head seas, but they will exhibit behavior in other situations that will be inferior to a typical Boston Whaler boat.

jimh

Re: First time buyer and 190 Montauk

Postby jimh » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:21 pm

Regarding Boston Whaler boats, their prices, and their value, in relation to other brand choices:

Going back 40-years ago, to c.1980, there is no doubt that Boston Whaler boats were quite expensive compared to other brands. But in the last 40-years, those low-priced and low-quality boat brands have all faded into bankruptcy and disappeared. The brands that remain on the market today have more or less raised their price, quality, and value to be in the same ballpark as Boston Whaler. The differences in price are not as great as they once were, and accordingly the quality differences are narrower.

If you are planning on buying a new boat at retail, you will have many choices. But, as you should infer, on this forum, most of us are very happy with our Boston Whaler boats, their quality, durability, their ease of maintenance, and, most of all, their UNSINKABILITY.

The fundamental difference between Boston Whaler boats and others brand is the double-bottom hull construction with completely foam-filled interior space. This method creates the enormous RESERVE BUOYANCY of a Boston Whaler boat hull. The only other boat brand with this sort of feature is EDGEWATER boats or EVERGLADES boats (and both those companies were founded by famous Boston Whaler designer Bob Dougherty).

macfam

Re: First time buyer: 190 Montauk Ride

Postby macfam » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:15 pm

I have driven the original 190 with the 115 hp Mercury on several occasions.
With two people and gear it was a good balance of ride and power. Moving up to 5 people or more, the 115 wasn’t really adequate, and I though a 150hp would have been perfect.
For a 19 footer, I thought the ride was quite good, and exceptionally dry. Remember it’s 19’.
There are days when our 150 Montauk with the 60 four-stroke rides perfect and not a drop gets on you. There are also days when our 28 footer is WAY TOO SMALL to be out there. Busting through 5 footers and like being inside a Maytag washer!

For the purposes you described, I think the 190 would be ideal.(The 210 is ideal if you need privacy for a lavatory)

If properly maintained, I still contend that the Boston Whaler Montauk line of boats has the LOWEST cost-of-ownership over time of anything available, plus being UNSINKABLE.

Enjoy that 190........

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:32 pm

Growing up on Barnegat Bay(Harvey Cedars) I might have some good input for you. In my opinion a 190 Montauk is a good choice. I think a 170 Montauk is a good choice as well. The bay is shallow so smaller outboard powered boats are a good fit. The sandbars at the inlet have changed in the 21 years I have been in Florida but the last time I was up there my 24' Baja had too much draft to get near a couple of the newer ones forming. As you probably know, the wind can kick up the bay pretty quick and it gets snotty due to shallow depth with short intervals between waves. Depending which way it is blowing it can be somewhat pleasant or hell depending on which way you are going, especially on LBI where you basically travel north to south only. The nice thing about a 19' boat is you can go out of the channel and hopefully get calmer waters by going closer too shore or the marshlands, assuming you know the waters. I had everything from 9, 13, 15, 16, 17, & 19' Whalers there and a 20' Hydra-Sports, a 21' Scarab, and 24' Baja the latter with deep V hulls. Yes as Jim pointed out, deep V hulls ride smoother but draft more. The newer Whaler Montauks are nowhere as flat as the classic hulls and probably drier although I never really thought any of my Montauks were wet, especially for a 16' boat. The older smirkless hulls(pre-76 for most models) are considerably wetter especially when they sneeze(lingo you will learn about). I have 2 suggestions for Barnegat Bay due to it's depth and water conditions. Do NOT buy a boat with an I/O, especially if bottom painted. They do not like getting grounded and leaving them in the water is a bad idea as they do not tilt like an outboard to clear the surface. I owned 2 inboard/outboard boats in NJ and not a good mix. I personally would not buy anything that you HAVE to sit and drive, standing is not only better for vision but also your butt.

As far as characteristics of a 2007 vs a 2020 that would be a question for the dealer to tell you what, if any, upgrades they made.

Lastly....Seaweed is a major problem on the bay due to the marshes and the bottom of the bay. Make sure you get a water pressure gauge and monitor it as it will clog your water intake and she will overheat. don't worry, you will overheat it, multiple times. They warn you way before it gets too hot so no worries but the gauge allows you to monitor your weed intake;) you can usually monitor it yourself by the spray coming off the sides of the motor, a skill you will learn. A deeper V helps as the water intakes are lower but the grass there is so prevalent, nothing matters.

I would ask Hance & Smythe if they do demo rides. Buy the largest engine possible, don't try and save a grand or two as you will probably regret it and at resale it will suffer as well.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

bmat5

Postby bmat5 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:56 pm

I probably should've mentioned a bit more around my ride quality expectations. Having been on bay much of my youth in friends boats, I don't have aspirations of a 19 footer riding like a Cadillac. However, I'd like to avoid a lot of unnecessary pounding relative to a more conventional v hull designs. I realize with design differences, there are tradeoffs and I think some have addressed this. The bay is indeed shallow at points, and I've learned this the hard way on few occasions. Thank you all for your quick, and thorough responses. They're appreciated, so please keep them coming! Regards and thanks!

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:14 pm

I will add to your response. Due to design which allows them to be foam filled, they are much more solid when in chop than a hollow hull and more quiet. Always owning Whalers, I really notice how loud other brands are when they are banging around. Foam is also a good insulation, it's not just for floatation. Where on Barnegat do you boat? The Bay can get much worse father north as it is much wider. I have driven many times from Manasquan or Seaside and regretted not going offshore due to the chop. A 190 will be a fine near shore boat as well. No reason you can't go offshore a few miles with that rig. I used to do laps around LBI in a 13'. I spent most of my time getting airborne in Barnegat Inlet....I do not wonder why my back is bad. We used to go for chicken Dolphin off the hump in Harvey Cedars with an old 16' Nauset.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

46er

Postby 46er » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:09 pm

I have been boating Barnegat Bay, its rivers, inlets and offshore for over 40 years. No one boat hull design will be perfect in its myriad conditions. If you are a blue sky, calm wind boater just about any hull except a flat bottom should put a smile on your face. I have owned 17' Montauk's, the most recent a 2007, and found it handled conditions just fine, a big improvement over earlier years. Also owned a 17 Outrage, which was better yet. When you have your list of candidates, take them for a test drive in less than optimal weather. Only you can make the determination of what will meet your needs, but Boston Whaler is a very good starting point. What BW dealer are you working with?
Last edited by 46er on Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:09 pm

While I really like the Montauk 190, I should caution you to reconsider spending at least $49,381 (not including tax, delivery and prep) on your first boat.

If the boat is not a good fit for you or your family, location, life schedule, whatever and you sell the boat in the first year, the depreciation loss will be at least $10,000.

You may want to consider buying a lightly used pre-owned Montauk 190.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

bmat5

Postby bmat5 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:25 pm

Thanks again for the responses, I'm grateful for the insight. BiggeFl, we'll be doing our boating in the northern end of the Bay, much of it near Lavalette and Ortley. As you've mentioned, it's wider and rougher. 46er, given my location, I'm able to buy from a Marinemax dealer, or McCarthy's, I like small family owned dealerships. Phil T, I don't entirely disagree, yet seems used 170 Montauks are plentiful, 190's not so much. The post 2018 models are larger both in LOA, and beam, the added size and storage on the new platform sure seems nice. There's so much to consider and I'm generally a thoughtful buyer who tends to buy and hold. The Whaler seems to be the right boat for that mentality. Tomorrow is another boat show and an opportunity to explore further. Additional input welcomed.

46er

Postby 46er » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:14 pm

bmat5 wrote:Thanks again for the responses, I'm grateful for the insight. 46er, given my location, I'm able to buy from a Marinemax dealer, or McCarthy's, I like small family owned dealerships.

I bought my 2007 Montauk from McCarthy's, good folks. You might also consider taking a ride to Manahawkin and talk to the folks at Hance & Smythe; small family owned, have been a BW dealer since 1959 and the owner is always in the showroom. They have a 2007 Montauk 190 available. No affiliation.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:09 am

We have owned our 190 Montauk for almost ten years. It is powered by a 135 HP Mercury Verado and the performance with that supercharged engine has been excellent. We use the boat primarily for inshore fishing and cruising in the bays and deltas of the Alabama coast. The ride is very nice in routine conditions but we are retired and if the wind is over twelve MPH we choose another day to go out. On the few times we've been "caught out" when the weather turned snotty we simply slowed our speed. We have almost always been able to tolerate the bad weather ride by using the trim adjustments on the engine to remain on plane at slower speeds. I cannot remember more than two times when we had to return to the marina off plane to be comfortable.

Due to my age we are selling our 190 Montauk and I would try to sell it to you but the distance between Barnegat Bay and Gulf Shores makes that impractical. Prices of new, well equipped 190 Montauks are high. I recommend you look for a used 190 a within a reasonable distance of your home and compare a well cared for used boat to a new one before moving forward. The differences between the features of the 2009 and later boats and a new boat are quite minimal.
Butch

bmat5

Postby bmat5 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:14 pm

Thanks for the heads ups 46er, I called Hance and Symthe this AM. Jefecinco, sounds like you've got a real nice 190. No doubt if you were nearer, I'd jump at the opportunity to purchase it. I'll be doing some shopping this weekend and circle back after that time. Some additional feedback from boat owner friends has been consistent with the feedback provided here. Sometimes you don't know what you need, until you have the experience to know what you need. That said, you've gotta start somewhere. More boat shopping and evaluation ahead.

bmat5

Postby bmat5 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:57 pm

[I] spent a day shopping for new and used boats. If buying a new 190 MONTAUK I would go with the 150-HP. I am also considering a used 190 MONTAUK with a 115.

[Seeks] first hand experience with a c.2007 190 MONTAUK and 115-HP engine. I plan to have two adults and three teenagers on the boat 50-percent of the time. I am not looking for a speed demon, but I don't want a dog either. I've read some of the prior comments, and those reviews are mixed. Thanks.

[Two posts on the same topic in separate threads are combined into this one post in one thread--jimh]

46er

Postby 46er » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:47 am

bmat5 wrote:
[Seeks] first hand experience with a c.2007 190 MONTAUK and 115-HP engine. I plan to have two adults and three teenagers on the boat 50-percent of the time. I am not looking for a speed demon, but I don't want a dog either. I've read some of the prior comments, and those reviews are mixed. Thanks.

My suggestion is to take the used one for a test ride. Put a small down payment to hold it contingent on your satisfaction; if not what you want, new boats will still be there. I think the 115 will provide ample smiles. There are boat tests on the web, one for the 190 with 115 4 stroke which has a bit more weight to it, at a site called 'Boat Test', they list performance data. The BW site also gives performance data with the various engine options, at the link.

https://www.bostonwhaler.com/family-overview/montauk-boat-models/190-montauk/

jimh

Re: Estimating Speed of 190 MONTAUK with Five Aboard and 115-HP

Postby jimh » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:37 am

The Boston Whaler performance report shows the 190 MONTAUK with a 115-HP FOURSTROKE CommandThrust is a 41-MPH boat. Based on my own use of my boat, I can tell you that the amount of time underway when my boat is going 41-MPH is minuscule--less than one-percent of the time.

If a top speed of 41-MPH is not enough, get the 150-HP engine, and you can hit 47-MPH.

Having five aboard half the time the boat is in use might be your plan. It sounds like family-boating. As a first-time boat buyer, you might be anticipating the entire family will be using the boat together, but generally that's only true the first year you own the boat. Total family participation in boating is hard to sustain. Kids get older. They don't want to hang out with Dad all the time. In any case, half the time there won't be five aboard.

You can solve the problem of running the boat with five aboard by changing the propeller pitch to be two-inches less. It will take off some top speed, but give you plenty of acceleration with the heavier load.

For the Boston Whaler data see:

https://www.bostonwhaler.com/family-ove ... 90-montauk

ASIDE: the link above takes you to the right page; next, click on the box with the "2" designator. That takes you to the data for the 115-HP.

The test data was taken with 330-lbs of people aboard for a 3,125-lbs test weight . Increased weight will affect performance. We can compute the effect using the Crouch method. Crouch estimates that boat speed is proportional to the power-to-weight ratio to the 0.5 exponent times a hull factor. Mathematically:

MPH = C × (HP/LBS)0.5
Solving for C gives

C = MPH / (HP/LBS)0.5
Now we find C from the factory test data:

C = 41 / (115/3125)0.5
    C =213.7
Let us figure that with five aboard, the total personal weight will be 900-lbs, or an increase of 570-lbs. We add 570-lbs to get the estimated weight of the 190 MONTAUK with five aboard: 3,695-lbs. Now we compute the new speed

MPH = C × (HP/LBS)0.5
    MPH = 213.7 × (115/3695)0.5
    MPH = 37.7
Next we calculate the propeller pitch needed for an engine at 6000-RPM and 2.38:1 gear ratio to produce a boat speed of 37.7-MPH. I will skip the math because it is a bit more involved (with five factors). Using a propeller SLIP factor of 10, the pitch calculates to 17.5-inches. With a 17-pitch propeller the boat speed should be 36.5-MPH. That is still quite fast.

The lower-pitch 17-pitch propeller will help acceleration under load. I don't know what other comments you read, but perhaps people were running the stock 19-pitch propeller on the 115-HP and just had too much weight on the boat. Another advantage of the lower pitch is slower idle-speed. If you are an angler and like to troll, being able to troll at 3-MPH might be advantageous.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:04 am

If you can find a 115 HP engine powered 190 Montauk and arrange to take it for a test drive it would be worth your time. It may be difficult to arrange a test drive with a load close to the weight you expect to have on your future boat. I would test for the minimum boat speed required for the boat to remain on plane and try to imagine what that speed would need to be with five people and gear aboard.

There is much anecdotal evidence on-line that indicates 115 HP is not the optimum power for the 190 Montauk. A lightly loaded 190 with a 115 HP engine will probably perform well enough for most owners but based on my personal long term experience I recommend against it for your use. I know of a frequent participant on this site who repowered his 115 HP engine powered 190 with a higher HP engine at no small expense.

If you happen to buy a boat with a 135 or 150 HP four cylinder supercharged Verado engine you will have some interesting options. The engines are capable of reliable HP increases to over 200 HP at very low cost per HP. Tuners such as Simon Motorsports http://www.simonmotorsports.com routinely perform ECU modifications to achieve these improvements. Anecdotal evidence suggests this is accomplished without engine reliability problems. Before deciding to sell our Montauk I was planning to increase it's engine HP from 135 to 200 HP.

Good luck with your search.
Butch

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:39 am

if the price on a used 2007 is good enough, use it for a season and see if you like the 115 and the boat. If you like the boat and wish to repower, you have that option as your engine is 13yrs old. you might want something different and may be able to walk away even or so. Obviously the 115 is not a problem as it was used by the P.O. for 13 years. I have a 115 on my 18' Outrage and it is fine with 5 people.

bmat5

Postby bmat5 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:34 pm

biggiefl wrote:if the price on a used 2007 is good enough, use it for a season and see if you like the 115 and the boat. If you like the boat and wish to repower, you have that option as your engine is 13yrs old. you might want something different and may be able to walk away even or so. Obviously the 115 is not a problem as it was used by the P.O. for 13 years. I have a 115 on my 18' Outrage and it is fine with 5 people.

The price of the 2007 190 isn't real great, nor have I worked at this point. The 115 has 258 hours, yep just 258. It's a very nice, clean boat, yet I would've outfitted it differently. It's also a two owner boat. With engine hours that low, and two owner in 12 summer seasons, really makes me wonder about the enjoyment factor of the combo. So, at the moment, I continue the search.

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:43 pm

Plenty for sale down here. I have recently seen a couple newer 190's for in the $30's. Might be worth a FL trip and get away from cold NJ.

Hance & Smythe is not known for the bargains. It does however sound like a nice boat with low hours. My F115 is a 2004 and has under 200hrs on it. Many people on LBI don't drive very far so low hours is normal for most. If they just go from the house to the inlet and back every weekend, you would be lucky to put 25hours a season on it.

bmat5

Postby bmat5 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:05 pm

biggiefl wrote:Plenty for sale down here. I have recently seen a couple newer 190's for in the $30's. Might be worth a FL trip and get away from cold NJ.

Hance & Smythe is not known for the bargains. It does however sound like a nice boat with low hours. My F115 is a 2004 and has under 200hrs on it. Many people on LBI don't drive very far so low hours is normal for most. If they just go from the house to the inlet and back every weekend, you would be lucky to put 25hours a season on it.

You're spot on about H&S not being known for bargains. Is there a bargain BW dealer out there? Not likely.
Guess I've concluded maybe a used BW would be a good move for a first boat. Problem seems to be supply. I just don't see 190's out there. My kids are still at the age that they'll be hanging with us on this boat and at times dragging along other teenagers for watersports. The 115 as a solo motor option was one year only (2007) which I interpret as meaning more power needed, especially for a full boat and water sports. I like the 170 Montauk as well, but the extra two feet of length and wider beam make for an much more viable boat for family enjoyment.
Should I be looking at different models to open up the search? I've always liked the Montauks for the blunt nose and the increase bow space is provides. Does the Dauntless and Outrage have more freeboard than the Montauk?

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:59 pm

When looking for a used Boston Whaler, you need to look at CL, Boattrader and other sites for a distance of up to 250 miles from home. Relying on local dealers will not produce many results.

If you find one several hundred miles away, there may be a local whaler owner who could take a preliminary look, take lots of photos and give you a good read on it. I know many owners, including myself, who have done this.

I travelled 600 miles, round-trip for my 1st whaler, 1400 miles, round-trip for my 2nd and 700 round-trip for my 3rd. Would do it again in a heartbeat.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

46er

Postby 46er » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:40 am

I just don't see 190's out there. My kids are still at the age that they'll be hanging with us on this boat and at times dragging along other teenagers for watersports. The 115 as a solo motor option was one year only (2007) which I interpret as meaning more power needed, especially for a full boat and water sports.

You might want to look at a bigger boat considering 5+ people on board; 5+ lifejacket's, boat equipment and whatever other item's, i.e. water ski's, fishing equipment, food, personnel items. It might get a bit crowded on a 19'. Just a thought. I think the 115 was offered for more than one year.

bmat5

Postby bmat5 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:58 pm

Phil T wrote:When looking for a used Boston Whaler, you need to look at CL, Boattrader and other sites for a distance of up to 250 miles from home. Relying on local dealers will not produce many results.

If you find one several hundred miles away, there may be a local whaler owner who could take a preliminary look, take lots of photos and give you a good read on it. I know many owners, including myself, who have done this.

I travelled 600 miles, round-trip for my 1st whaler, 1400 miles, round-trip for my 2nd and 700 round-trip for my 3rd. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

Yep, will do. Been searching CL vigorously, and will work boattrader a bit harder as well. Thanks.

bmat5

Postby bmat5 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:03 pm

46er wrote:
I just don't see 190's out there. My kids are still at the age that they'll be hanging with us on this boat and at times dragging along other teenagers for watersports. The 115 as a solo motor option was one year only (2007) which I interpret as meaning more power needed, especially for a full boat and water sports.

You might want to look at a bigger boat considering 5+ people on board; 5+ lifejacket's, boat equipment and whatever other item's, i.e. water ski's, fishing equipment, food, personnel items. It might get a bit crowded on a 19'. Just a thought. I think the 115 was offered for more than one year.

You're correct, and the 115-HP engine is still offered as the base choice in a 190. In 2007 it was the only engine choice for the 190, and the boat's maximum horsepower was rated accordingly [i.e. at 115-HP]. It's a very nice hull, yet that [manufacturer's maximum power rating of 115-HP] eliminates re-powering with more power--at least for someone looking to stay in compliance with Coast Guard standards.

Back to my original thought: I wanted to keep [the process of buying a boat for the first time] simple and manageable. I sure like the 190 for that reason.

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:44 pm

A 19-foot boat is plenty for two adults and three teens; a 13-foot or 15-foot boat would not be.

roundle1979

Postby roundle1979 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:26 pm

If you are certain on the size (19 feet), brand, and layout (center console), I would also have a look at the Nantucket / Outrage 190. Boston Whaler's been making the Nantucket/Outrage 190--mostly unchanged--since 2003.

I bought a good, clean (fresh water) 2004 Nantucket July 2019 and could not be happier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OmxP4b98MA
2004 Nantucket 190 w/ Mercury Optimax 135

ferdinando

Postby ferdinando » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:23 am

I can vouch for the 190 as I purchased one brand new in 2008. I bought it with the 115 which I regretted the first time I took her out. 6 months later I sold the Merc and bought a new E-Tec 150, never looked back. It's a great all around boat. I have taken her out 30 miles off the coast with no problems although I do pick my days for going offshore.

It's the perfect size for 2 people and no more than five to avoid the crowded feeling. It handles great as I later installed Sea Star steering together with
a simple auto-pilot. I love this boat and I will definitely keep it as long as I can climb aboard.

As a reference it cost me $38,000 back in 2008, and I have easily put in close to $10,000 in up-grades through the years. (including a new trailer).

If I had the money right now I'd love to get the 21'.

Good luck,

Fred