APPRAISAL: 1984 SPORT 15

For Boston Whaler boats or related gear
gw204

APPRAISAL: 1984 SPORT 15

Postby gw204 » Fri May 22, 2020 2:51 pm

For your appraisal: Is $5,000 for the 1984 SPORT 15, a Mercury 50-HP FOURSTROKE, and an old trailer a fair asking price?

I found a 1984 Sport 15 with a non-functioning 2010 Mercury 50 FOURSTROKE engine. The boat looks to be in fair condition, appears to have some gelcoat repairs to the gunwales, is missing the side rails (I can see that the screw holes were never filled), the seats need to be refinished, and has bottom paint. The seller said that the boat has been sitting exposed to the elements for a few years now so water intrusion is a concern.

I was also told that the when last used the engine would die and then not restart. Several mechanics have supposedly looked into the problem, but no solution was ever found, and that is what led to it going unused.

SPORT15-1a.jpg
Fig. 1. Sport 15
SPORT15-1a.jpg (38.92 KiB) Viewed 2600 times

SPORT15-2a.jpg
Fig. 2. Sport 15
SPORT15-2a.jpg (34.86 KiB) Viewed 2607 times

Mercury50a.jpg
Fig. 3. Mercury engine
Mercury50a.jpg (28.38 KiB) Viewed 2605 times

Thanks--Brian

frontier

Re: 1984 SPORT 15 Appraisal

Postby frontier » Fri May 22, 2020 9:02 pm

Keep looking. Like an old logger told me once when looking at a beat up logging truck that was for sale: "That one, to be worth anything , you would need to lift up the radiator cap and drive a new truck underneath it ".

jimh

Re: APPRAISAL: 1984 SPORT 15

Postby jimh » Sat May 23, 2020 10:28 am

There are three elements: boat, engine, and trailer.

An “older trailer” for a 15-foot is worthless unless it is roadworthy. Roadworthy means the trailer has good tires, good bearings, good lighting, a VIN number, a license plate with current registration, and is ready to drop onto a hitch ball and be driven away.

A c.2010 50-HP engine that does not run and has a history of not running well and has been sitting outdoors for several years since it was last started is a big unknown quantity. Call a Mercury dealer and get a quote from him on its trade-in value if buying a new engine.

The boat looks like it could be restored. Unless you do all the work yourself, a restoration will be expensive.

Back in c.2000 I sold my SPORT 15. The hull was in perfect condition, like new. The 50-HP engine ran beautifully. The trailer was ready for the road, and I had recently towed over 5,000 miles with no problem. I sold the boat, engine, trailer, Bimini top, full cover, anchor, line, cushions, navigation lighting, battery, fuel tanks, and engine gauges, and so on, for $5,000. Today I would expect it to sell for at least that, and perhaps more. The buyer still has that boat and it has been flawless for him, no repairs except for typical engine maintenance and upkeep on the wood and gel coat finish.

Also, that 50 FOURSTROKE engine looks hideously large for the boat. Modern four-stroke-power-cycle engines are lighter and smaller.

gw204

Postby gw204 » Sat May 23, 2020 11:09 am

Thanks guys. I suspected that the asking price was way high, but wanted to ask the experts here. I am not looking for perfection, nor am I afraid to put in a little work to address problems that it has. I want something safe for my kids and there's nothing better than an unsinkable Whaler.

I agree that the motor is too heavy for the hull. That FOURSTROKE 50 should be a four-cylinder and I think it weighs around 270 lbs. If I were to pick up this boat, that engine would get replaced with an older two-stroke in order to keep cost and weight down. The seller did tell me that a highly respected marina in the area took a look at the engine, and if they truly couldn't figure out what was wrong, it's not a simple fix. I think any value the engine has is for parts only.

My gut tells me that this is a $2000 or maybe $2500 rig at best.

Thanks again.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sun May 24, 2020 10:19 am

Based on the neglect the boat has suffered, particularly the unsealed side rail mounting screws, I would be concerned with the possibility the bottom paint may be concealing a problem.

There are many good Sport 15s available with running engines, ready-to-go trailers, no bottom paint and no obvious signs of neglect that are reasonably priced. I would spend the relatively little additional money and buy one of them.
Butch