Appraisal 1973 NAUSET

A conversation among Whalers
bmat5

Appraisal 1973 NAUSET

Postby bmat5 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:58 pm

Through a friend of a friend, I've been offered a 1973 Nauset. The hull seems intact with no noticeable damage or soft spots detected. The bottom paint is rough, with too many layers and should likely be stripped. The boat is powered by a c.1985 Johnson 70-HP engine that runs well at high throttle, yet stumbles and runs rough at idle and all through the way up to full throttle. [The cause is] believed to be a reed valve. The center console is mostly intact, yet quite rough and in need of attention and refinishing. Original windshield glass, and Morse throttle are still in place The bottom of the console is soft and rotted on the port side. The console is also missing the foot rest. There are two mismatched 6-gallon fuel tanks. The original helm seat is long gone and has been replaced with a cooler flip flop seat that appears low quality and out of place on the boat. The NAUSET wasn't equipped with a bow rail. The stern rails are intact although the port rail as been shorten somewhat in length to make way for a previously mounted trolling motor. A Norman pin is there. Cleats are added at stern, [the combined sidelight lamp] as been replaced with low quality aftermarket lamp. The gelcoat surface has typical crazing throughout. Serial and hull numbers are intact. No [white all-round lamp]. Included is a Shorelander trailer that has dry rot on tires. A ballpark pricerange based on the above would be appreciated. Thanks for input.

jimh

Re: Appraisal 1973 NAUSET

Postby jimh » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:11 am

A model year 1973 NAUSET would be one of the last ones made. This would suggest that an existing 1973 NAUST ought to be in the best condition available in a used NAUSET. But the boat under discussion sounds like it needs a lot of work. The engine sounds like it needs repair. The trailer sounds like it needs repair. The combination of boat, engine, and trailer sounds like a big repair project.

The value of this boat to a particular buyer will be highly dependent on the buyer's interest in performing all the repairs required.

If you want to buy a boat, engine, and trailer that all need to be repaired to working condition, this might be a good buy.

There has been a completely restored NAUSET in perfect condition offered for sale for about $24,000, although I don't think it will attract too many buyers at that price. Clearly the boat under discussion is not in that category.

Assess the value as follows:

Trailer: $200
Engine: $500
Hull: $1,000 to $2,000 depending on your taste for taking on big restoration projects.

If you are not interested in a big restoration, this is not a good boat for you.

bmat5

Postby bmat5 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:32 am

Thanks for your thoughts Jim. Without question, this boat would be purchased as a project. I'd just like to ensure I'm not paying too much. Your quoted price is in the ball park relative to what the owner is asking.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:42 am

Another caution: beware that restoring a boat by buying a lot of small replacement parts can be expensive. The more original equipment on the boat that is in a condition that will permit it to be cleaned, polished, and re-used, the better. For example, an item like the OEM navigation lamps might cost $300 or $400 to replace with equivalent modern lamps.

By the way, what is the color of the cockpit interior and deck in this 1973 NAUSET?

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:41 am

I agree on a couple grand. They make a lot of aftermarket parts now for older Whalers. A new SS bow light with chock is about $165 and is nicer than OEM. Wood parts for console can be made or bought as well, no need to replace the entire console. Same goes for the OEM seat.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:57 pm

The diagrams for building the seat and the console are available on this website.

There is a cabinetmaker in New England who makes Whaler quality replacement interiors as well.

Let us know if you are interested in this information.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

bmat5

Postby bmat5 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:38 pm

Thanks for the input and advice. Although I've never brought a boat back, I've [restored] muscle cars and vintage bikes. I'm well acquainted with the countless hours at are required, not to mention the cost of the endless parts list. Of course, then it becomes a balance between usable and trailer queen. Any boat in a saltwater environment ages quickly. I wonder about the required level of restoration only to splash the boat in saltwater.

The hull looks white, the deck appears Desert Tan, and the cockpit has heavy dark mahogany varnish--amateur level work.

bmat5

Postby bmat5 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:48 pm

Phil, I believe the cabinetmaker you've referenced advertises on NE Craigslist from time to time. I'm also told is work surpasses equivalent pieces from Specialty Marine. I've considered salvaging what's usable on the console, and replacing only as necessary. I believe the Nauset only came with the bench seat. I consider it less desirable and less comfortable than the RPS. I'm always inclined to go the purest route, but have thought of a later Montauk style RPS with the Z-legs and with the leaning post finished to match the finish on the console.

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:52 am

Saltwater has nothing to do with a Whaler or its condition. Saltwater is hard on engines. Sunlight is the worst enemy for a Nauset.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).