Bottom Paint Recommendations. Barrier Coat or Traditional Paint and Primer

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
1985supersport15

Bottom Paint Recommendations. Barrier Coat or Traditional Paint and Primer

Postby 1985supersport15 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:41 pm

I have a 1985 Supersport 15 that has never been painted. Was in freshwater for about 10 years or so and then when in salt from 1995-2007.I used to haul and power wash or dive on it and scrub bottom every few weeks in summer in RI. From 2007- present it has been trailered.

I just got a slip for the season in NH and am looking for some bottom paint suggestions and any other important considerations when having bottom paint done by someone. I would do it myself but have a back injury I am trying to nurse so not a good idea at the moment.

Got a quote from one Outfitter which was made for a 17ft Whaler for $800-$1000 (so should be cheaper for 15ft) which included hull prep using mold release wax, dye from water line down (not sure what this does), sanding of hull and 1 coat of Hydrocoat paint. Seemed a bit on the high side and also was curious if 1 coat of paint is typical or a rip off.

Another Outfitter offered "Barrier Coat" which he said was like a rubber undercoating that protects the hull. He said for hull preparation, all labor and materials about $700. He said he does 3 coats of Barrier Coat followed by one coat of what he called hard bottom paint then final paint. Said he did 1st coat of paint different color so you know when other paint is wearing off more easily and when its due. Offered Interlux, Petit or some other paint brands. He said that Interlux was the better paint.

Same Outfitter for traditional preparation, primer and paint was $400

My questions are as follows:

1. If anyone can comment on Barrier Coat with Paint on top Vs. traditional paint and primer that would be great and which they prefer and why?
2. What paint brands do guys find work well in New England waters?
3. How many coats of paint should be done for initial paint job?
4. Other than aesthetics, does color matter in any other way?
5. Anyone recommend doing a bootstripe or anything?
6. Whats the best way to determine and mark the waterline? Nothing worse than a high waterline…
7. Any other important considerations?

Thanks,

Andy

Jefecinco

Re: Bottom Paint Recommendations. Barrier Coat or Traditional Paint and Primer

Postby Jefecinco » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:45 pm

You should visit some paint sites such as the site for Petit which, I believe, offers a barrier coat for use on bare hulls before applying antifouling paint. I like Petit's (and West Marine's) Hydrocoat which is a water based antifouling paint with no VOCs. The paint applies easily and dries quickly. Spills clean up easily if taken care of before the paint dries.

I like a minimum of three coats with the first coat of a color that contrasts with the finals coats. This allows an owner to see when it is time for a refresher coat before antifouling protection is lost.

Regardless of the barrier coat and antifouling paint you choose it's important to choose a system in which the two products are compatible. Using the same manufacturer for both helps ensure compatibiliy but the web site will allow certainty.
Butch

macfam

Postby macfam » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:16 pm

Jefecinco has some great advice.

I swear by Pettit brand, and their advice. (Especially about barrier coat(s). Hydrocoat ECO is a huge advancement. No copper, safe for metals, and eliminates electrolysis problems. Clean as can be at seasons end. IT WORKS! Plus, in comes in several colors AND WHITE, which can be tinted to the original "Desert Tan" or "Whaler White" so bottom paint is "invisible". Water-based, no smell, easy clean-up, and effective in salt water--better than anything I've tried in [more than] 30 years.

porthole

Postby porthole » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:09 am

Bare hull - spend the money for a true barrier coat, minimum of three coats. Interlux 2000E is one variety.

After that, personally after having used many different types of bottom paint, I would go with a couple coats of an ablative paint. The ablatives are the paints that do not build up like conventional paints. The product wears away over time, and typically can be renewed before spring launch with a quick power wash.

And you will pay more for it.

As for the actual type or brand of paint, ask around at the locale were you will be storing your boat. When I docked my boat in Shark River NJ, I had to use different paint then what I used in Manasquan, NJ. Two inlets five-miles apart and both marinas 10 to 15 minutes from the ocean.

http://www.boatus.com/magazine/2014/april/boat-bottom-paint.asp
Last edited by porthole on Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks,
Duane
2016 World Cat 230DC
1999 Outrage 21, Yamaha SW Series II 200
1997 Outrage 18, Yamaha 125
1983 15 SS, Honda 50
1980 42 Post
1983 34 Luhrs 340 SF

macfam

Postby macfam » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:13 pm

By the way, Pettit Hydrocoat Eco is an ABLATIVE paint that wears away over time.

nautiwhaler32

Postby nautiwhaler32 » Fri May 06, 2016 2:15 pm

Just went through the same thing with a new to me 1996 Outrage 17 that was only used in fresh water by previous owner. After getting quotes and plans from a number of guys which ranged from $700 to $1800. Ended up going with the following process:

Here is the finished product. Done at a boatyard in the Bayshore area of NJ. Came out to $765+tax. Process the boat yard used was
1. Remove from trailer and put in water to establish waterline
2. Sand and prep and then 3 coats of Interlux Interprotect Barrier Coating
3.Paint with Interlux ablitive paint. Ended up with Black (Asked for red but whatever at this point at least the lines are straight) Took over 5 weeks to get it back.
1996 Outrage 17 -Red Bank, NJ

1985supersport15

Postby 1985supersport15 » Sat May 07, 2016 11:33 pm

Thanks for all the responses!

I tried establishing my waterline yesterday in a lake using a pencil. Tried finding a grease pen at several car parts stores to no avail. It was not too fun with NH lake temps being fairly cold still and black flies in full swing. I put battery onboard and two full 6 gal tanks of gas and threw a level across drivers bench seat adjusting load so boat was level. I had particular difficulty marking waterline between bow and stern due to whaler tri hull. Let it dry and marked waterline with painters tape. However, again I am concerned about bow area. Afraid I didn't mark it right and paint job will come out poorly. You would think that outfitter doing job would have a more efficient process to mark waterline rather than leaving it up to me. I'm also concerned they will paint waterline too high. They said they usually go a few inches above waterline. I've seen some whalers with terrible bottom paint water lines so I am a bit cautious.

1. Read several old forum threads and was wondering how difficult it is to find someone who can do white or gel coat similar bottom paint? Seems like whaler hulls don't have bottom paint conducive lines as others have pointed out.

2. Any tips on getting the waterline right and possible white or gel coat colored bottom paint?

3. Also having trouble deciding between ablative or hybrid paint on top of barrier coat. Read Boat US article on bottom paint someone offered and it seemed like ablative is not good for fast moving boats. How fast are we talking about? My 15ft with original 1985 Evinrude pulls about 23-26 knots at most.

Thanks,

Andy

macfam

Postby macfam » Sun May 08, 2016 8:37 am

Andy--do you have two markings on the hull that you can depend on? If yes, get the boat to a LEVEL driveway or parking lot. Adjust trailer so that both those markings are the same height from the pavement. Cut a piece of strapping or old yardstick to that length. Walk around the boat, and multiple spots around the bow area, and make your markings the height of the stick. That is the waterline.

I usually will tape off 2-3 inches ABOVE the waterline to paint to prevent hull staining from growth and scum.

Follow directions and prepare and apply your barrier coats. For anti fouling, Hydrocoat ECO is an ablative paint, and with 2-3 coats can be multi-seasonal. Your boat is NOT too fast for ablative paint.

Hydrocoat ECO also is available in white for white hulls. It can also be tinted to match Boston Whaler Desert Tan. See this link:

http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/015309.html

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sun May 08, 2016 10:50 am

I've read some counter arguments about the use of white bottom paint due to discoloring along the true waterline. I cannot personally attest to the truth of this but I read it on the internet so, as we all know, it must be true. Perhaps it's worth a little research.
Butch

macfam

Postby macfam » Sun May 08, 2016 11:48 am

On our Flag Blue Albin 28, red bottom paint w/white boot stripe.
On our white 150 Montauk, black bottom, black Bimini, black fenders, black lines, black console and seat covers, black Mercury.
But NO white bottom paint, because I don't think it will remain white either.

1985supersport15

Postby 1985supersport15 » Sat May 14, 2016 5:23 pm

Decided to go with barrier coat. Likely Interlux unless anyone recommends strongly Petit. That's two best brands outfitter carries.

One thing I was looking for advice on was what to put on top of barrier coat for paint. Outfitter said I may want to do 2 coats of an Interlux Fiberglass Bottomkote NT hard paint on top of barrier coat since boats never been painted to establish a good foundation so to speak. Then he said do an ablative next year from then forward.

Can anyone chime in on this idea? Or would you just go 2-3 coats ablative right on top of barrier coat with first cost different color as an indicator?

For color I think I decided on black. White just seems like it will not stay white and will have scum line.

Thanks,

Andy

1985supersport15

Postby 1985supersport15 » Sat May 14, 2016 7:25 pm

Macfam thanks for desert tan bottom paint thread!

The picture of the paint job isn't coming up from the 2008 post in the old forum. Toying with idea of doing the same thing and outfitter I have has Petit paint so I could use his formula but the formula Jeff had success with I can't use because they don't have Sea Hawk paint brand.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out! Really like the way the desert tan looks on the Whaler hull.

Andy

macfam

Postby macfam » Sun May 15, 2016 8:03 am

I do remember the photo posted. It showed a hull with a uniform Desert Tan color, and no distinguishable waterline where the paint covered the fiberglass. Would the bottom retain it the uniformity all season? I'm not sure if a slight slime covering might accumulate after an entire season. However, my experiences with Hydrocoat ECO, the past 2-3 seasons, I think it would be excellent.