Console mounting chartplotter with a RAM Mount

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
timf

Console mounting chartplotter with a RAM Mount

Postby timf » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:16 am

I decided to mount a chart plotter using a Ram Mount (1.5" ball) brand mount to give some versatility. I wanted to show a few pictures here.

This is on a Montauk 170 and using a Garmin 741xs and could be done in different ways for other configurations. It can easily be adjusted for different angles and positions and is very stable in rough water.

The ball is mounted using stainless bolts and nylock nuts. It has two pieces of aluminum angle iron under the console with 3M 4200 adhesive on the top and bottom of the fiberglass for stability.

I normally take it off when travailing and store in a Pelican case.

Thoughts, questions, or suggestions, please let me know.

mount2.jpg
Console Ram Mount
mount2.jpg (36.24 KiB) Viewed 9292 times

mount1.jpg
Mount arm connecting chart plotter mount to console
mount1.jpg (46.79 KiB) Viewed 9292 times
Attachments
console.jpg
console
console.jpg (100.45 KiB) Viewed 9292 times

jason78

Re: Console mounting chartplotter with a RAM Mount

Postby jason78 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:40 am

Looks good! Should hold up great! I like the RAM mounts. Used one one my Sea Ray. Curious as to why you didn't mount it on top of the console with the standard Garmin bracket? Not enough room? Not criticizing, just curious. It seems like there is never enough room for electronics.
1997 20 Outrage
1998 Merc 200XL Offshore Carb'd 2 Stroke

timf

Postby timf » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:57 am

thanks!

The reasons I mounted it there included:

- preferred not to cut a hole in the top console panel and to make cable routing easier
- this is easier to rotate, where the standard bracket is made to be fixed
- wanted to leave console top open for possible future use
- with current position it sits a little lower, obstructing less of windshield view
- with the touchscreen it is closer to the operator, making it slightly easier to use

Unrelated to the mounting directly, this leaves room on the console for the Fusion black box steno remote and Mercury Vessel View 4. The Vessel View gives good support for the engine and acts as a gateway between NMEA 2000 and Smartcraft.

display2.jpg
Vessel View and remote for under-console, NMEA 2000 connected Stereo
display2.jpg (45.83 KiB) Viewed 9270 times

thank you,

Tim

Sebastian

Postby Sebastian » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:46 am

I agree RAM Mounts are a great way to mount electronics. Here is my set up. I know, my console top is a little cluttered, but I use all the space.

console.jpg
console.jpg (162.23 KiB) Viewed 8921 times

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:21 pm

I have not tried the mounting method using the RAM brand of gear. One reason: the mount costs as much as some chart plotters these days.

I find having a chart plotter mounted on the dashboard with the usual bracket mounting has this added benefit: it creates a space behind the chart plotter where you can put objects (like a camera, a cellular telephone, your paper chart, and so on) so they won't go flying off the top of the dashboard.

timf

Postby timf » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:21 am

Both posts above have good points about using the top of the console for storage. Mine has nothing there now and definitely things will slide around.

Some type of tray or a way to hold things in place would be a great help.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:01 am

Functional and semi-attractive suction cup mounted trays are available. They work very well on console surfaces.

Ram mounts have the added benefit of making electronics easy to remove for added security for those times when a little extra security is wise.

Butch
Butch

timf

Postby timf » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:37 pm

I'll take a look for tray with suction cups. I was thinking about velcro, but like the suction cup idea better.

I do remove the chartplotter for security often. It gets stored in a Pelican model 1450 case for protection.

case1.jpg
case1.jpg (40.6 KiB) Viewed 8855 times

case2.jpg
case2.jpg (69.03 KiB) Viewed 8855 times

case3.jpg
case3.jpg (137.64 KiB) Viewed 8855 times