Evinrude to Reveal more E-TEC G2 Models

A conversation among Whalers
jimh

Evinrude to Reveal more E-TEC G2 Models

Postby jimh » Wed May 18, 2016 1:06 pm

In June 2014 Evinrude invited all their dealers to a big dealer event in Wisconsin at which the Evinrude E-TEC 74-degree V6 engine or G2 engine was revealed. This June Evinrude is again conducting a similar big event, and it is widely anticipated that more new second-generation or G2 E-TEC engines will be revealed. The speculation is that this event will introduce the E-TEC G2 engine in the 150-HP range, with the engine displacement being around 2.6-liters.

The arrangement of cylinders in the new E-TEC G2 engines seems to be shrouded in secrecy. Will the new models employ a V-block? If so, will it be a 74-degree V-block? Will there be a V6? A V4? Or, will the new models be an in-line four-cylinder? I have not heard any reliable speculation about this. The existing E-TEC engines in this horsepower range use a 2.6-liter V6 with a 60-degree v-block. There is a "teaser" video that shows a smaller boat, perhaps a 17-footer, underway with a new engine. Of course, due to the lighting and the camera angle, almost no detail can be seen.

Evinrude has openly acknowledged they will be introducing new models of the E-TEC, but decline to say when the engine will go into production and be available. If this roll-out follows the 2014 pattern, any new model should be available shortly after the reveal at the dealer event.

The innovations of the E-TEC G2 74-degree 3.44-liter engine were significant and improved the engine performance in three important categories simultaneously:

--more power output

--better fuel economy

--better emission compliance

Having simultaneous improvement in all three major categories was a spectacular engineering feat. It is assumed that these follow-on G2 models will provide similar improvements over their legacy E-TEC comparable models.

I guess we will all now wait for late June or for some clandestine photography to appear. Readers with good rumors are invited to reply.

Peter

Re: Evinrude to Reveal more E-TEC G2 Models

Postby Peter » Thu May 19, 2016 7:26 am

I think Evinrude could play this segment a couple of ways - 1) 2.6L V6 or 2) 2.3L V4

1. 2.6L V6

The current 2.6L G1 uses a narrow angle block (60 degree) and so I wonder whether the angle would need to be widened to accommodate the starboard-starboard design. A 2.6L V6 G2 would likely pack a higher power to weight ratio with improved fuel economy. If it has similar performance characteristics as the 3.4L G2 has relative to the competition in its class (V6 4-strokes), it should significantly outperform the competition more than the G2 does against its class of motors because the competition's motors are substantially all in-line 4-cylinder, 4-strokes with displacements up to 3 liters. The current G1 is about 50 to 70 lbs lighter than the in-line 4-cylinder, 4-strokes so there is plenty of room to add features like the integrated steering, built-in 2-stroke oil reservoir, gear case oil reservoir, etc. while still being competitive in weight.

2. 2.3L V4.

This hypothetical version would be the current 3.4L G2 V6 with two cylinders lopped off, similar to what OMC did with the "looper" V4s in the 1980s. The old "looper" V4s displaced 2L and were rated up to 130 HP at the end of the production run. A 2.3L V4 G2 should be able to make 150 HP quite easily and if the same HP to displacement ratio as the 300 HP G2 were applied, they might be able to squeeze a 200 HP model out of this. However, with 2.3L of displacement and 4 cylinders, I think this platform would not be quite as dominant over the competition as a 2.6L V6 G2 would be. But most likely it would be significantly lighter.

If I were Evinrude I'd probably go the V6 route.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu May 19, 2016 9:54 am

Peter--the notion that Evinrude would just take the existing 74-degree V6, eliminate two cylinders, and turn it into a V4 is an interesting idea. They have done that sort of thing in the past. It seems like a quick-fix type solution. Since it has been two years since the reveal of the all-new 74-degree V6 design, I wonder if Evinrude hasn't take a similar clean-sheet design approach and come up with something entirely new for the smaller G2 design.

The other outboard brands have all generally improved their power-to-weight ratio in this segment, and the legacy E-TEC faces more competition. Also, I think the 150-HP range is probably a big market. It would be really interesting to see data about unit sales volume by horsepower rating for outboard engines.

Peter

Postby Peter » Thu May 19, 2016 2:44 pm

I don't think it is a "quick fix" solution. Evinrude likes to do things modularly, which helps control costs by reducing the number of individual parts that need to be produced. They actually did it in the 1970s with the cross-flow V4 and V6. And they do it today with the large I2 to 2.6-liter V6 models. For example, the bore and stroke dimensions are the same for the 0.86-liter in-line 2 (1/3 of the V6), the 1.3-liter in-line 3 (1/2 of the V6), the 1.7-liter V4 (2/3s of the V6) and the 2.6-liter. Accordingly, the same pistons and connecting rods should be interchangeable between all of those platforms. That standardization produces huge savings on tooling, production and inventory costs. I would expect Evinrude to continue with this in some manner as it rolls out G2's. What remains to be seen is whether it does any modularizing on the 3.4-liter platform or just continues with the existing modularity. The more I think about it, the more I think they will stick with the modularity they currently have for economic reasons. But going with a V4 off the 3.4-liter could mean lower production costs assuming they were to abandon the G1 line. It will be interesting to see.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu May 19, 2016 3:45 pm

It seems reasonable to assume that the new second-generation E-TEC engines in the 150-HP range will use the same combustion chamber modeling employed in the 3.4-liter engines, and if they are V-block would use a Starboard-Starboard arrangement instead of a mirrored arrangement. The piston heads would be part of the modeling, so it would be reasonable to assume the pistons would have to be similar to the 3.4-liter G2 engine. That would rule out using the pistons from the legacy E-TEC engines.

As for the sharing of some components, let's look at the per-cylinder power. In a six-cylinder 300-HP engine we have 50-HP per cylinder. If those same components are turned into a four-cylinder 150-HP engine, we have only 37.5-HP per cylinder. That means the 300-HP version pistons and connecting rods would be under-stressed, so there would be no problem in using them. On the other hand, perhaps those stronger 300-HP-level components are costlier, and for, say, a 115-HP four-cylinder, making only 29-HP per cylinder, perhaps it would be more economical for a manufacturer to use a less-costly component. Then again, I doubt we are talking about making five-million units per year, so perhaps it is less costly in the long run to just use the same high-strength component across all models.

A two-thirds down-scaling of the 3.441-liter V6 block yields a 2.294-liter V4 block. Perhaps with the higher power yield of the new combustion chamber G2 design, there won't be any lost power compared to the existing 2.6-liter V6 engine. Evinrude could also just increase the stroke a little, keeping the bore the same, thus allowing the piston dimensions to remain the same, permitting part re-use. Let's try a little more stroke, say 3.25-inch, and we get a 2.485-liter engine. Increase stroke to 3.3125-inch at we'd get a 2.533-liter engine. But then the compression ratio would change. I better leave engine design to the professionals.

Thanks to the calculator at
http://performancetrends.com/Calculator ... cement.php

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Sat May 21, 2016 12:13 pm

I'm constantly debating whether to repower or sell and replace the whole boat when the time comes. I've always been partial to OMC/BRP engines but I just can't get used to this new look of the G2's. Maybe the smaller HP engines will look more 'normal'.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sun May 22, 2016 10:28 am

I understand the appearance concern. I like the looks of the G2 engines and the color choices are a plus. But, performance, reliability and dealer service score much higher on my preference chart than does appearance.
Butch

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:34 pm

The June 2016 dealer meeting and new product reveal is now about ten days away. I hope we get some new rumors and perhaps some correspondence from the meeting.

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:54 pm

I will be very interested in the 150hp G2. Looks, weight and cost.

Peter

Postby Peter » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:05 pm

Masbama wrote:I will be very interested in the 150hp G2. Looks, weight and cost.

Me too. I currently have a pair of 2003 Yamaha 150 HPDIs with low hours which I hope will last a long time. But if repowering, I'd like to take some weight off the transom. The 150 HPDIs are not light like the G1 E-TEC 150s. Hopefully the prospective 150 G2s are in the same weight range as the G1s. Taking the oil tanks out of the bilge would be a plus on my boat as the arrangement of the tanks requires use of long filler neck hoses. The long hoses tend to trap air and cause some oil to "burb" back up and out when adding oil making a mess, particularly if I add oil too fast. Also if they use the same transom bracket arrangement as the current 3.4L G2, then I would gain a significant amount of space on the transom currently taken up by the rigging tubes for the motors and the need to allow those to move freely in the transom/splash well area.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:41 am

The June 2016 dealer meeting and new product reveal starts Sunday, June 26, two days from now. Look for some new information then.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:53 pm

I have a couple correspondents who will be attending the new product reveal, and I have asked them to gather information to answer the following questions about the new 150-HP-range E-TEC engines that are anticipated to be shown:

--what block configuration will be used: V-block or in-line?

--If V-block, what will be the block angle?

--how many cylinders?

--what displacement?

--what sort of steering system: manual or electro-hydraulic boost?

--what sort of engine remote controls: mechanical or electro-mechanical?

--what weight, particularly compared to the existing E-TEC V6 2.6-liter engine?

We should have some answers on Sunday.

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:47 pm

Thanks. I must say I am quite interested.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:15 pm

New E-TEC G2 models are 150-HP, 150 H.O., 175-HP, and 200-HP. They are built on a 2.7-liter six-cylinder [66]-degree V-block. They have digital throttle and digital shift remote controls and iTrim as standard features. They can have dynamic power steering as a very affordable option ($800). The rigging will be exactly the same as the larger G2 E-TEC engines.

These engines will have 30-percent improved torque compared to other 150-HP competitors, and continue the lowest emissions of any outboard.

These new engines only have 260 new parts. That is, they are built on the already tried and tested components of the earlier G2 models. The engine noise signature is improved compared to E-TEC legacy engines in this power range.

These new engines are ready to ship in about one week!

iceblue_black_200hp.png
Evinrude G2 new V6 200-HP 2.7-liter in ICE BLUE color
iceblue_black_200hp.png (99.41 KiB) Viewed 26972 times

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:35 pm

What do you think the weight of the 150hp will be?

Peter

Postby Peter » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:56 am

Masbama wrote:What do you think the weight of the 150hp will be?

I'm guessing about 450 to 460 lbs for a 25 inch non-power steering version. Well within the weight of the 4-strokes. If you include the weight of a hydraulic steering ram on a G1 150, that represents an increase of about a 10 to 15 lb increase.

The value proposition of the G2 over a 4-stroke is not weight savings. Rather its superior fuel economy, torque and the rigging system that allows for a clean, uncluttered transom along with the usual E-TEC advantages.

Transom weight matters less these days than it did 10 to 15 years ago because boats produced in the last 10 years or so have been built with the hefty weight of the 4-strokes taken into account. If transom weight matters on a particular boat, then the G1 is still available.

Peter

Postby Peter » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:03 am

jimh wrote:They are built on a 2.7-liter six-cylinder 64-degree V-block.

A very good source of info suggests 66 degree block without starboard-starboard design.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:53 am

Last night's reveal was a bit sketchy on the engine details. I expect the weight will be proportional to the larger G2 engines, and that suggests a slight increase compared to the legacy E-TEC V6 engines. But you are getting the hydraulic steering as part of the engine. OK on the 66-degree v. 64-degree; my source was off two degrees. The no starboard-starboard block design is very interesting. The engineers must have had more time to work out the modeling of the combustion chamber behavior for the mirror-image port side of the block.

Evinrude also announced that they have added over 100 new dealers selling the E-TEC and almost 40 new boat builders using the E-TEC.

Also revealed last night: a new joystick docking control system in development which will utilize the digital engine controls, simplify the hydraulic steering method, hugely reduce the cost, and won't need tedious calibrations. This won't be available for at least a year.

Here is a youTube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZrh4OAHsmo

Peter

Postby Peter » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:32 am

jimh wrote: The no starboard-starboard block design is very interesting. The engineers must have had more time to work out the modeling of the combustion chamber behavior for the mirror-image port side of the block.

Perhaps there is an angle (e.g. 70 degrees and less) where there the costs of the starboard-starboard design that requires more elaborate exhaust manifolds outweighs the benefits.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:26 am

Evinrude also revealed a new product, E-LINK, which will share E-TEC G2 engine data over a NMEA 2000 network via WiFi to an iOS or Android device. In addition to displaying data, Evinrude E-LINK will provide remote control of i-Trim and Dynamic Power Steering settings. It will also be able to initiate auto-winterization. The E-LINK will mirror most of the data displays of the ICON Touch series displays. An E-LINK module sends the data back and forth via WiFi from the network to boater's smart phone.

E_LINK_Device.jpg
E_LINK_Device.jpg (36.59 KiB) Viewed 26889 times

module.jpg
module.jpg (11.33 KiB) Viewed 26879 times

More information can be found at

http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/accessori ... ec-g2.html

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:43 am

Regarding the engine weight, the new 66-degree V6 E-TEC engine weight will vary with several factors:

--shaft length

--inclusion of dynamic power steering

--amount of oil added to internal oil reservoir tank, which has capacity of about 3-gallons

Peter

Postby Peter » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:04 am

Some sources are indicating that a 25 inch 150 is more than 500 lbs. If that is true, that is disappointing. I would not be able to able to hang a pair of these on my boat.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:35 am

More data on weights:

Product Year 2017 Evinrude E-TEC G2 Specifications

150-HP Models
Model Shaft Steering Weight Lbs
C150PL 20-inch Remote 496
C150PX 25-inch Remote 507
C150PXC 25-inch Remote 512

150 H.0. Models
C150PLH 20-inch Remote 496
C150PXH 25-inch Remote 507
C150FLH 20-inch DPS 530
C150FXH 25-inch DPS 541
C150XHC 25-inch Integrated 533

175-HP Models
C175FL 20-inch DPS 530
C175FX 25-inch DPS 541
C175XC 25-inch Integrated 533

200-HP Models
C200FL 20-inch DPS 530
C200FX 25-inch DPS 541
C200XC 25-inch Integrated 533
C200XO 25-inch Integrated 528

I think the "C" suffix means counter-rotation model; it adds 5-lbs. I don't know what the "O" suffix indicates; possibly it may be an indication of an oil tank option.

DPS = Dynamic Power Steering
Integrated = Integrated Hydraulic Steering
Remote = without the integrated hydraulic steering on the engine; a conventional external steering actuator can be used.

The lightest model is the 20-inch-shaft with remote steering at 496-lbs.

The heaviest model is the 25-inch-shaft with Dynamic Power Steering at 541-lbs.

It looks like the integral steering unit without power steering option adds 26-lbs; integral steering with power steering adds 34-lbs

The option for no integral steering is called the TRACK-PLUS midsection.

More data at

http://www.evinrude.com/content/dam/evi ... _200hp.pdf
http://www.evinrude.com/content/dam/evi ... _175hp.pdf
http://www.evinrude.com/content/dam/evi ... 50H.O..pdf
http://www.evinrude.com/content/dam/evi ... _150hp.pdf

Peter

Postby Peter » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:42 am

jimh wrote:More data on weights:...

The weight is a disappointment. Target is clearly new boat applications that have been designed for the heavy 4-stroke. The G1 models WILL NOT be retired.

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:53 pm

I can't hang one on my boat. Was kinda hoping for a lower weight engine in the 135/150/175 class. They already make a G2 200hp correct?

Marko888

Postby Marko888 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:59 pm

Look at this spec sheet for the G2 200 HO (3.4L block)

http://www.evinrude.com/content/dam/evinrude/Global/MY2017/Documents/Spec-PDFs/PY17-Ev-Specs_G2_200H.O..pdf

I don't understand why Evinrude bothered building a 200hp with the 2.7L block, as it has only a 9lbs weight advantage over the 3.4L!
Mark
1984 Outrage Cuddy 22

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:57 am

Must say I'm a bit dissapointed. Was hoping for a lightweight, strong, 4 cylinder.

Marko888

Postby Marko888 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:25 pm

Me too. I expected a new engine with integrated oil tank and steering about 40lbs heavier than the G1...not 100lbs heavier!
Perhaps the G1's will remain available for repowers?
Mark
1984 Outrage Cuddy 22

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:06 pm

Marko888 wrote:Me too. I expected a new engine with integrated oil tank and steering about 40lbs heavier than the G1...not 100lbs heavier!
Perhaps the G1's will remain available for repowers?

I would be suprised if they would sell both types of 150hp engines for long.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:40 am

An interesting presentation on the 2.7-liter 66-degree V6 E-TEC G2 engine by Eric Olsen--an avid fisherman who has been involved with E-TEC development for several years--is found at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKldQtr9HDk

In the presentation there are several features mentioned which have not been clearly presented before. First, the steering.

The 2.7-liter 66-degree V6 E-TEC G2 has a new feature, the option to use a TRAC+ (pronounced "track plus') midsection. The TRAC+ midsection provides for mounting of standard hydraulic steering cylinders, similar to a SeaStar system, or even attachment of mechanical cable steering systems. Models without TRAC+ use the G2 mounting from the 3.4-liter engines. This provides for two options:

--an integrated hydraulic steering (IHS) system built into the mount, and

--a power boosted version of the integrated steering, called Dynamic Power Steering (DPS) (and sometimes called iSteer)

Thus there are three options for steering: TRAC+, IHS, or DPS on the 2.7-liter E-TEC G2 models.

Second, Mr. Olsen mentions power and fuel consumption. For the 150 H.O. model, at maximum power output of 165-HP the fuel consumption is 12.5-GPH. Converting to brake specific fuel consumption (at 1-gallon gasoline = 6.25-lbs) gives 0.47-lbs/HP-hour, a remarkably good figure.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:21 pm

After the main Evinrude webstie was pointing at this video for days and having it not play because it was still marked "Private", this now classic test of a twin engine boat with mismatched brands of engines can be seen on youTube at

YAMAHA 200 HP VS EVINRUDE E-TEC G2 150 HP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5QrJvk4aWE

There's nothing that brings the howling dogs to life like publishing a comparison test like this.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:41 am

From some informed correspondents at the product reveal, here are a few more observations about the new model 2.7-liter 66-degree V6 E-TEC engines:

--engine noise signature has been improved; there is less clicking sound from the fuel injector operation at idle;

--the integral 3-gallon oil tank will typically provide 50-hours of engine operation at the normal ICOMIA duty cycle; an average boater will only add oil once per season;

--several engine components have been relocated to improve access for servicing; in the cooling system the thermostats and pressure relief valve are now more accessible; the fuel filter and gear case overflow tank are in better locations;

--the actual horsepower is said to be as follows: "150" is 155-HP; "150 H.O." is 165-HP; "175" is 180-HP; and the "200" is 200-HP; for comparison, the new Yamaha "200" makes about 193-HP;

--the gear ratio is 2.17:1 and the gear case is the same as used on the larger 3.44-liter 74-degree V6 engines.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:06 am

As several comments above portray, the weight of the new models is heavier than most expected. The new E-TEC engines are a better fit on new boat hulls that have been designed for the heavier outboard engines of the modern era. The majority of outboard engine sales are for new boat transoms, so the weight of the 2.7-liter 66-degree V6 E-TEC engines won't be a factor on new boat transoms. They'll compete on an even basis on weight alone, but will outperform and provide enhanced features on everything else.

For an example of a re-power of an older boat, consider a Boston Whaler OUTRAGE 18. We have seen many OUTRAGE 18 boats powered with twin engines, including twin E-TEC 90-HP engines and twin Mercury 90-HP two-stroke carburetor engines. Let's look at the weights involved in those applications:

--two E-TEC 90 20-inch shaft engines are 320-lbs each, for a total of 640-lbs;

--two classic two-stroke Mercury 90 engines are 303-lbs each, for a total of 606-lbs;

--one E-TEC 150 G2 is 496-lbs, or over 100-lbs less transom weight.

There is really nothing about the new E-TEC G2 engine weight that will keep these 150 to 200-HP E-TEC G2 engines off the transom of an OUTRAGE 18 or any similar Boston Whaler that can handle a 150-HP engine.

They won't work on a MONTAUK 17, but, hey, you're not supposed to have 200-HP-class engines on a MONTAUK.

All the Evinrude G2 models use electronic throttle and shift. This also saves weight with rigging. There is only a single data cable connected between the helm and engine with ETS controls, whereas with conventional rigging several large multi-conductor electrical cables are used. The ETS probably saves a few pounds in that rigging. The same goes for the oil system. The internal oil tank eliminates a few pounds of oil hose and primer bulb. The same with the fuel system: no primer bulb. When all weights are considered, the total installed weight of a G2 150 to 200-HP class E-TEC is not going to be hugely different than any other modern engine in the horsepower range, and the power and performance of the V6 design will likely outweigh any other consideration, if you will pardon the pun.

The dynamic power steering (DPS) built into the engine is also a big weight savings compared to any other outboard with power steering options using external components. The DPS will eliminate a significant amount of weight in external pumps, external hydraulic hoses and fittings, and electrical power and control cables associated with them. All of these components are integral in the E-TEC G2 DPS system. If the weight of those external components is added to other engines, the weight comparison scales now favor the E-TEC.

jimh

Re: New ICON II Controls for G2 E-TEC

Postby jimh » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:30 pm

Evinrude will soon introduce two new electronic shift and throttle (EST) single-lever top-mount and concealed-side-mount controls, which will be called ICON II EST controls. [The present ICON II EST controls with more features will be re-badged as the ICON II PREMIUM EST contorls.} The new ICON II EST (or perhaps more clearly the ICON II BASIC EST) controls are intended for single-engine installations and will feature a reduced price compared to the existing line of ICON II PREMIUM IEST control options for the E-TEC G2 engines.

ICON_II_ETS.png
Evinrude ICON II electronic throttle and shift top-mount
ICON_II_ETS.png (71.09 KiB) Viewed 26399 times

When compared to the present cost of mechanically-linked remote throttle and shift controls and the cables necessary to connect them to the engine, the ICON II [BASIC] controls will be cost competitive. Of course, ALL the new E-TEC G2 engines come with electronic remote shift and throttle (EST) as standard. By pairing with these new more economical ICON II [BASIC] controls, the additional rigging cost for an E-TEC G2 with electronic throttle and shift won't be much more than the additional rigging costs (controls, cables, fittings) for a traditional mechanical remote throttle and shift.

The ICON II [BASIC] EST SINGLE ENGINE TOP-MOUNT RIGGING KIT is part number 768443 and has an MSRP of about $1,068. A ICON II [BASIC] EST SINGLE ENGINE CONCEALED SIDE MOUNT RIGGING KIT is part number 768444 and has the same price.