1985 Evinrude 40-HP Won't Start

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
1985supersport15

1985 Evinrude 40-HP Won't Start

Postby 1985supersport15 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:19 pm

I'm on vacation in Rhode Island, and my 1985 Evinrude 40-HP will not start. I am desperate for any tips that might help me get it going for the holiday weekend. It cranks fine, but will not start or show any indication that it wants to start.

I had a gas line with a bad priming bulb and thought I wasn't getting fuel. Replaced with brand new OMC gas line and that wasn't it.

Checked spark plugs and they were fairly clean, but I replaced them anyway.

Changed out 20-Ampere fuse in engine to eliminate that out of the equation, and still no luck.

Fuel is month old or so but I always use marine Stabil with no problems.

Also tried spraying starting fluid into carburetor manifold with no luck.

To me this sounds like ignition, solenoid or other electrical concern. Played with kill switch to see if it was defective and it seemed fine. Boat hasn't been used yet this season and worked fine last year before winterization.

I am going to take spark plugs out later tonight and leave spark plug boots on and see if I am getting a spark at the engine if I can see it arc to metal.

Questions:

--what's the best way to diagnose no-start on a 1985 Evinrude 40?

--has anyone else had this same problem?

--I read somewhere that when I push in my key to choke engine I should hear a click of some sort. I don't seem to be hearing anything. What is the click that I should be hearing?

--I've talked to some people that said problems at the ignition and throttle assembly area are not uncommon. How would I diagnose for this type of problem?

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Andy

jimh

Re: 1985 Evinrude 40-HP Won't Start

Postby jimh » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:48 pm

If there is no indication at all that the engine wants to start, there must not be one of the three essentials present in the combustion chamber:

--fuel

--air

--spark

You should be able to detect fuel by the smell. After some cranking with no start, if gasoline is getting delivered you should smell it. Squeeze the primer bulb until firm. Give the carburetor bowl at each carburetor a tap with the handle of a screw driver to make sure there is not a stuck needle valve.

Check for spark. Get an in-line spark tester like a 20610 LISLE In-line Ignition Spark Tester; you can find them at good boat shops:

Spark is generated by the engine's magneto. It creates a voltage that is switch in turn to each spark coil primary. The spark coil secondary creates the high-voltage. Crank the engine after dark with the cowling off and look for any sign of spark leaking to ground.

You can check for air delivery by removing the cowling and removing the carburetor cover. You should be able to feel the engine sucking in air at each carburetor as you crank the engine by putting your hand over the carburetor opening.

I am not familiar with a 40-HP fuel enrichment. When you push in the ignition key perhaps there is a solenoid valve that opens to let more fuel get into the air stream downstream from the carburetors. I have seen that on 225-HP engines, but I am not sure it is used on a 40-HP.

Also, here is a very common problem that will produce the symptoms your engine has: did you winterize the engine by using a threaded hose that fits onto a Schrader valve at the fuel pump? If you did, there is a red handle on that fitting that must be closed. Turn it to the right to close. If it is open you will be dumping raw fuel into the air stream and the mixture will be too rich to ever start. This is a very common problem with no-start on an OMC on first use after winterization with that threaded-on hose fitting and fogging oil.

contender

Postby contender » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:57 pm

Check the spark first.

You stated you replaced the fuel line. Is the primer bulb OMC?

Only use an OMC primer bulb. And do you have it going in the correct direction? Check the fuel flow by disconnecting the fuel line at the engine) and pumping the bulb. Have a catch bucket ready. Two people would be good for this. Good luck

1985supersport15

Postby 1985supersport15 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:07 am

Thanks for the helpful replies! Last night I determined that I have no spark. Not sure where to go from here.

Can a magneto just fail with time?

What else would be the possible likely culprits for no spark?

Thanks!

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:33 am

No spark in all cylinders can be caused by several components:

--the stator coil assembly

--the Power Pack

--any wires, cables, and connectors in the circuitry between the stator and the Power Pack

The coil assembly is a passive component and consists of just magnet poles, coil windings, wires, and connectors. These are usually durable. The Power Pack is an electronic assembly. As is any electronic device, the Power Pack is prone to failure. It is a bit unusual that it would fail on all cylinders at once.

Are you certain the safety lanyard is properly installed? If the safety lanyard switch is closed, it shunts all spark coil primary voltage to ground and there will be no spark. Check the safety lanyard switch carefully. As a test, you can disconnect the safety lanyard switch temporarily to see if spark is restored. The switch itself may have failed.

1985supersport15

Postby 1985supersport15 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:30 pm

I tried disconnecting one of the kill switch leads in the throttle assembly with no luck. Hard to tell if it wasn't making contact though since several leads are seemingly just mounted on inside of throttle metal body. Did my best to hold it away with rolled up piece of electrical tape.

At this point I am thinking power pack. Is there any way to narrow this down without specialized equipment? Read some threads online that said power pack is hard to test without certain equipment.

Just seems odd that engine ran fine when I winterized it. Had a shop run a compression test prior to discovery of this problem. My understanding is engine doesn't have to be run to perform compression test. I wonder if they messed something up though...

Read something about taking kill switch lead off at power pack. Not sure if that would be worthwhile at this point.

Any tips are appreciated. Otherwise boats headed for the shop after this weekend.

Thanks!

Andy