25 Outrage – Drain for Fuel Tank Area

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
jaydoliver

25 Outrage – Drain for Fuel Tank Area

Postby jaydoliver » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:40 am

Hello to everyone. I am getting close to a very delayed start to this year’s boating season. In June, when I launched my 25 Outrage the “water in the fuel” alarm went off immediately. After some investigating it was clear that the fuel was contaminated. My Boston Whaler is a 1985 with the original fuel tank, so I knew this day was coming. I have been working on replacing the fuel tank for the last six weeks. The old tank had several holes on top and pitting all over. The new tank should arrive at the end of this week.

After reading several previous posts about fuel tank replacement, I want to put a drain at the bottom of the fuel tank cavity that goes to the aft bilge compartment. It looks like this would be relatively simple to install. However, after reading posts on this subject I haven’t been able to find any pictures or the type of drain being used. Any advice on this would be appreciated. I imagine I’ll have to cover it with a strip of plastic over the top once the tank is in so the new foam doesn’t block the drain.

Ideally, I would inspect periodically and drain when needed. I would also store it with the plug out during the winter when it’s on my trailer. I will also make sure that the deck is caulked properly and I make sure the fuel fill area is as sealed as possible.

Thanks for your help, I am shooting for an August 1st re-launch!
Jay
Jay Oliver
1985 25 Outrage with 2011 300 Etec
Southern Rhode Island

jimh

Re: 25 Outrage – Drain for Fuel Tank Area

Postby jimh » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:37 pm

I recommend you read the excellent two-part article by Jeff Rohlfing. See

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... store.html

lewain

Postby lewain » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:19 pm

This is the article I was looking for!

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:17 am

From Jeff's photographs it looks like it may be possible to install a garboard drain and plug through the lower part of the aft fuel tank cavity bulkhead. It would be an easier less costly way to get rid of water in the fuel tank cavity though not necessarily as effective as Jeff's solution. Drains are available in poly, brass and possibly stainless steel.
Butch

Buckda

Postby Buckda » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:33 am

Jefecinco wrote:From Jeff's photographs it looks like it may be possible to install a garboard drain and plug through the lower part of the aft fuel tank cavity bulkhead. It would be an easier less costly way to get rid of water in the fuel tank cavity though not necessarily as effective as Jeff's solution. Drains are available in poly, brass and possibly stainless steel.

Ditto. This is what I'm doing for my 25.

John_Madison CT

Postby John_Madison CT » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:56 am

The fuel tank in my 25" Outrage is original. ('89) . I originally bought the boat, then resold it for a profit, but to make a long story short, bought it back. The guy who owned it for a few months did some really nice improvements, one being a drain in the fuel tank cavity. It's simply a PVC pipe from the cavity into the rear floor compartment. He glued it in.