Specialty Marine for refit

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Malsr

Specialty Marine for refit

Postby Malsr » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:34 pm

Greetings, looking for comments regarding Specialty Marine products. In particular I'm looking at their Super Sport console, LED navigation and anchor lamps, and cushions. Is the quality as good as original that came with my 1984 Super Sport? Or, am I better off refurbishing the old wood, for example? Would be way easier for me to buy a new console than put the time, money, and effort into refabricating and refinishing the old console. Many thanks in advance.

Oldslowandugly

Re: Specialty Marine for refit

Postby Oldslowandugly » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:19 am

Everything I've purchased from them has been top notch. The only wood Item I bought was a reduced price front anchor locker hatch. I planned on cutting it down and modifying it so I didn't mind that it was a "blem". All I can say is that if the gorgeous finish on it was a "blem" I can just imagine how beautiful the full price ones are.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:28 am

I would want to know if the wood components sold are plywood or solid per the originals. If plywood I would stick with the solid wood on the boat. I recommend doing a site search on "Specialty Marine Stainless Components" or similar wording. I seem to recall somewhat conflicting reviews on the stainless quality.
Butch

drewread

Postby drewread » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:26 pm

I have their LED bow light and stern light.

Although the metal work seems fine I have not had it long enough to comment on the quality of the stainless.

I can however comment on the quality of the lights themselves. The bow light's plastic has a distinctly orange colour, and I have asked them to replace it, which they did... with another green and orange coloured one. They state that their plastics manufacturer is unable to make the plastic any more red.

I ordered the factory green and red lens from Sue Lodel and it fits in the fixture and is actually red and green.

The LED light in the bow light is also not all that bright.

I highly doubt the Speciality Marine one has or ever will pass a Coast Guard inspection or certification, and when I asked Speciality Marine about that they were dead quiet and never did respond to my question.

The stern light is not at all waterproof and is always full of moisture. I fully expect it to fail before long. The build quality is really no great and the wiring is plain (not tinned) copper and I expect it to be fully corroded by next season. I will be re-working all of this myself in the near future.

Perhaps I will take some time to take a few photos and post them to demonstrate the quality problems visually... but they are definitely there.

I would have returned the products if I was not in Canada having already paid a substantial shipping, duty and taxes charge to bring them up here.
Last edited by drewread on Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Don SSDD

Postby Don SSDD » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:16 am

I bought their teak seat with the stainless arms. The stainless is what I would say is typical of a lot of "new" lesser quality stainless, it got a bit of very thin rust on it after 1 year.

I also bought the vinyl cooler pad, both it and the vinyl seat seem fine.

The wood looks great and the finish was great looking when new, but it was fairly thinly applied. I scuff sanded it and reapplied 5 coats after about 1.5 seasons of use. I did not have a cover and it was on a mooring. I would buy the seat again, it was a good deal for the money.
1986 Outrage 18 with 2001 Honda 130 HP
Former Owner 1991 Guardian 19 with 1994 Evinrude V4 140HP
Former owner 1987 Montauk with 1998 Mercury 90HP
Nova Scotia

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:40 am

Don,

Is the teak seat you bought solid teak or teak faced plywood?
Butch

Don McIntyre - MI

Postby Don McIntyre - MI » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:32 pm

Ditto on the comment regarding varnish thickness. A friend refurbished a Nauset his father purchased new, and turned over to him. The wood console and seating was in rough shape, so they ordered from Specialty. Came in with one section of glass windshield broken (not Specialty's fault, was the shipper....). Upon close examination, a decision was made to apply another five or six coats of varnish. The finish looked good, but thin (maybe sprayed.....).

Note - This was about three years ago. They may have changed their finish procedures.

Regards - Don

Don SSDD

Postby Don SSDD » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:47 pm

Solid teak Jefecino. It did not have any drain holes in the bottom of the RPS BTW.

Don
1986 Outrage 18 with 2001 Honda 130 HP
Former Owner 1991 Guardian 19 with 1994 Evinrude V4 140HP
Former owner 1987 Montauk with 1998 Mercury 90HP
Nova Scotia