Trailer set up for 1997 Outrage 20

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Speedbump

Trailer set up for 1997 Outrage 20

Postby Speedbump » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:28 pm

I have ordered a new LoadRite 5 starr aluminum I beam trailer for my 1997 Outrage 20, it is a 5200 lb capacity dual axle bunk trailer with disk brakes . the trailer is 25'5" overall in length X 82" between fenders, 102" wide overall, it accommodates 17' - 21' 9" bow eye to transom, it has two carpeted pressure treated bunks. My outrage 20 has a 175 Evenrude and weighs in at @ 3400 lbs fully loaded with fuel and gear (rough weight estimate). I plan on adding 8" to 10" keel rollers.

My boat is currently in a slip and I want to set the trailer bunks and rollers up as close as possible for the season end haul out but cant find any reference materials to go by.
I checked with Two whaler dealers but came up empty with recommendations unless I would buy the trailer through them and have their yard set it up.

Would any one with a 1997 - 2000 outrage 20 using a bunk trailer set up with keel rollers be able to share your bunk settings; width between bunk centers or outside edges
overall bunk length from transom location forward
bunk angle if any
height of bunks above the keel rollers
Size (diameter X length) and number of recommended keel rollers in total.

I realize I'll have to tweak the settings once loaded but I want to get it close to support the boat when first hauled out.

Thanks !

onlyawhaler

Re: Trailer set up for 1997 Outrage 20

Postby onlyawhaler » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:18 pm

I have a 1999 Outrage 20 which I upgrade the trailer a year ago to a tandem axle galvanized trailer. Same boat as you have.

We don't have a Boston Whaler dealer in the state which I live (Utah) so I bought one on the open market and had to do the adjustments on my own. Up front, I wound up taking it in to a local marine dealer to help me in the end. I learned a lot which may help you however

I tow four hours to Lake Powell and one or two hours to higher elevation reservoirs. I went from single-axle to tandem -axle for increased safety on the long drives, and I take two spares mounted on the front of the trailer on brackets.

I also chose to go twin bunks on each side from a single bunk per side--it appears you have also done. I don't know if that really makes a difference if placement is correct. I just wanted to spread the load among four bunks . The boat is suspended by the four carpeted bunks and does not rest on the keel rollers--which was by choice after doing a lot of reading on this site. Your annual pullout and a short seasonal drive home may not make this a big concern, but the miles I drive make a different. Your simple fix may be to rest it on keel rollers and adjust your two bunks left and right to support the boat while resting. If you don't want it resting on the keel rollers during the off season and keep it higher on your two bunks, the only way I know is by trial and error, launching, loading, pull out, look at it, launch again, make adjustments and try again. With four carpeted bunks, I finally went in and paid for help with a local boat dealer for hoist time ($150) and pulled it vertically off the trailer a few inches and make the adjustments there--and saved a lot of time and got it perfect , each bunk between the chines left and right. If you have the factory raw water washdown, don't rest a bunk on that exterior fitting.

A year later I recently sold the Yamaha 225 two stroke and upgraded to a Yamaha four-stroke. I found the additional weight AND A FULL 85-gallon tank of gasoline made the balance of the boat stern heavy on the trailer, with too much weight rearward and made the trailer fish tail slightly going on downhill slopes. Moving the front winch assembly an inch forward to put a bit more weight forward on the hitch fixed it instantly.

The bunks will be one adjustment, your hitch and yoke will be another as you adjust how far forward or back on the trailer [the boat] will go.

Remember to leave an inch or so of bunk visibly showing out the rear of the stern to support the entire length including the transom with your bunks. I think that is very important

Best of luck on this
Sterling
Onlyawhaler

porthole

Postby porthole » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:59 am

With the loadrite trailers you can also move the axles some for front/rear balance once you get the boat set on the bunks correctly.
Thanks,
Duane
2016 World Cat 230DC
1999 Outrage 21, Yamaha SW Series II 200
1997 Outrage 18, Yamaha 125
1983 15 SS, Honda 50
1980 42 Post
1983 34 Luhrs 340 SF

acg123

Postby acg123 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:51 am

I have a follow-up question for Sterling - Onlyawhaler. I'm curious why you decided to rest the boat on the bunks and not use the keel rollers? I've done a lot of research on this subject, mainly on this site, and found all the recommendations point to using the keel rollers for the primary support, and the bunks for side to side balance. I am currently considering whether to modify my existing trailer (the boat sits too high for shallow ramps) or buy a new one. If I get a new one, it's very tough to find ones with keel rollers. Even the local Whaler dealers want to sell you full bunk, or full roller trailer, but not keel rollers with bunks. Thanks for any insight you can share.

porthole

Postby porthole » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:39 am

AFAIK, Whaler has always recommended bunk trailers. Adding keel rollers aids in launch and recovery.
Thanks,
Duane
2016 World Cat 230DC
1999 Outrage 21, Yamaha SW Series II 200
1997 Outrage 18, Yamaha 125
1983 15 SS, Honda 50
1980 42 Post
1983 34 Luhrs 340 SF

onlyawhaler

Postby onlyawhaler » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:33 pm

Duane is correct in his statement on the bunk trailer recommended by Whaler

Everything I have seen in recent years has been completely bunk supported and not keel supported.
Rollers only for launching and retrieving.

I have read accounts on the older classic Whalers recommending keel support and not roller at all for support.

Some reports mention that roller trailers may dimple the underside of a classic Whaler. Others with more experience can comment on that.

With the miles I travel to launch out here in Utah, I just wanted the weight supported as evenly and broadly as possible.

Your Outrage model ( and mine) tends to be stern sensitive to just about everything. A large 4 hp kicker mounted on a bracket can make a noticeable difference in trim adjustment. A new 4 stroke V6 make a difference over a similar hp two stroke as I have gone through that change out recently. I think this model tends to carry its gasoline more rearward to the stern than perhaps other models and that can make a big , big difference.

Good luck
Sterling
Onlyawhaler