Whaler Restoration - Seattle

A conversation among Whalers
Spc337

Whaler Restoration - Seattle

Postby Spc337 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:09 pm

[Seeks] a good [boat] restoration company in the Seattle area. I’m thinking of replacing the fuel tank and fuel lines [on an OUTRAGE], and while the floor is up, possibly replacing the marine ply. I’m also going to replace the through-hull drain tubes and fix any gel coat problems.

This is part of a potential purchase decision so I’m trying to figure out costs and making sure there is someone local to do this work.

Thanks

jimh

Re: Whaler Restoration - Seattle

Postby jimh » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:10 pm

I am sure there are boat yards in Seattle that could do the work you want.

There are almost 20 boat yards listed in this article:

https://www.yellowpages.com/seattle-wa/boat-yards

Spc337

Postby Spc337 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:44 am

I was hoping to hear from someone with direct personal experience. I’m sure my google skills are up to the task of searching but that doesn’t offer info on outcomes from a fellow BW owner.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:21 am

Yes, an endorsement based on first-hand experience is always best. With the great scope of boating and boaters in the Seattle area, I am sure the must be someone with a Boston Whaler out there who can offer good advice. Seattle seems like a Mecca for recreational boating. However, as I read your initial remarks, the work is at this moment speculative, based on buying a particular boat, and your interest was in getting an estimate of costs. On that basis, I would think you could be informed of costs by a boat yard, whether or not you ultimately decide to buy the boat and give that yard the restoration work.

Your other concern was to "make sure there was someone local who could do this work." With more than 20 boat yards in the immediate area, I think that question was answered.

If I misread you intentions, please correct me.

Malcolm Goodfellow

Postby Malcolm Goodfellow » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:16 pm

Hey Spc337, is this the Outrage 18 on Seattle Craigslist a few days ago for $5,500? It was gone in less than a day.

Pacific Fiberglass co-located in Canal Boatyard in Ballard is who I'd use. Yes, they work on a lot of yachts but they love little boats, are fairly priced, and deliver excellent workmanship. I have seen a few Outrage 18 boats in their yard

For an OEM-looking fuel tank cover re-core, Doug and his team are the ones.

They are fiberglass repair only, so you will have to find an electrician elsewhere (or do it yourself, very simple and straightforward and very satisfying)

CSR should also be on your list. They are my go-to for larger boats and projects. A full service boatyard that can do it all and also delivers excellent workmanship.

I have been studying the Outrage 18 under the watchful eye of sensei Tom W. Clark. I might have some helpful ideas for you and a trailer if needed. I rarely am online so feel free to call me at 206-799-3881. My 1988 Outrage 18 is currently on a new trailer and tomorrow is engine maintenance day with thermostat, anodes, oil, and filter. Good luck, Malcolm.

Malcolm Goodfellow

Postby Malcolm Goodfellow » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:22 pm

If you are going to purchase a new fuel tank from Florida Marine Tanks, I'll order one as well. We should get a better shipping quote.