1978 Outrage V-20 Bow Bench and Storage Box

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
omnizzle

1978 Outrage V-20 Bow Bench and Storage Box

Postby omnizzle » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:47 pm

Hi everyone. I bought a 1978 V-20 Outrage a little over a year ago and am now working on making some upgrades and improvements after a season of fishing. Specifically I am looking at improving my seating and storage options.

Looking at the photos on the boat's reference page on Continuous Wave, it looks like there were some optional bow steps and storage locker that my boat does not have. I've done some comprehensive searching and I can't find too much information online about the steps.

Ideally I would just buy these, but since that doesn't seem possible I want to try to make them. My plan is to build the frame out of plywood, fiberglass over it, paint, then screw it down into the bow fiberglass. I'd mirror the bench on the other side as well. Here's a sketch:

Is there a better way to attach the bench to the boat? Would it be better to do fiberglass tabbing and actually bond in the bench into the bow?

Dutchman

Re: 1978 Outrage V-20 Bow Bench / Storage Box

Postby Dutchman » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:50 pm

Have you contacted Boston Whaler customer support regarding that option as they might be willing to get you a drawing of how it was installed (if it was a factory option)
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

omnizzle

Postby omnizzle » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:21 pm

Good idea. I'll try that now and see if they reply.

Does customer support usually give out technical data and info about older boats?

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:44 pm

The boat shown in the image, as I recall, was an early model V-20. The added-on storage boxes were used from the introduction of the OUTRAGE V-20. I believe that in later models, then called just OUTRAGE 20 boats, sometime after c.1986, the mold for the deck cap was changed in the foredeck area. Instead of added-on storage boxes, I believe that some smaller steps were added to the mold and became an integral part of the cockpit deck.

OMNI'--your sketch is a very nice drawing.

Re Boston Whaler customer support: they are a great help with older boat information, and generally share anything they have on hand still. I would be surprised if they had any construction drawings from c.1975 still around. But some of the the guys working in customer support are very long-time employees with very good memories.

omnizzle

Re: 1978 Outrage V-20 Bow Bench and Storage Box

Postby omnizzle » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:24 am

Boston Whaler customer support got back to me very quickly and gave be an exploded view drawing of how they attached the bow locker. It looks like they have wooden cleats that screw into the fiberglass which the bow lockers are then attached to.
Attachments
20' OR Bow Locker 1980.pdf
(39.96 KiB) Downloaded 21 times

jimh

Re: 1978 Outrage V-20 Bow Bench and Storage Box

Postby jimh » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:25 pm

Wow--that is really a great response. Boston Whaler comes through, again.