2001 Ventura 21

A conversation among Whalers
roundle1979
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:10 am

2001 Ventura 21

Postby roundle1979 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:16 am

Hi All. I'm new to Continuous Wave. I'm looking for a good, safe runabout for my young family (preferably with a capacity of at least 10). Planning to use the boat mostly within Long Island Sound.

I'm looking at a 2001 Ventura 21 with its original 225 OptiMax with just under 100 hours.

Hoping you guys can help me answer a few questions:

Q1. Is the 2001 Ventura 21 the same hull as the later Ventura 210?

Q2. This boat spent most of its life on a covered dry dock. Anything specific on the Ventura 21 hull that I should watch out for?

Q3. Has anyone ever installed an auxiliary' engine on a 21 Ventura? I'm not planning to use for fishing; rather, want it in the event that the Mercury has a problem

Q4: Would 8 to 9-HP be sufficient?

Q5. The outboard: Aside from lower unit fluid changes, fuel filters, and spark plugs, the 100 hour engine has not had any major services. Anything that I should have looked at? Will likely re-power with Yamaha / Suzuki / Honda 4-stoke in the coming years.

Q6. Where can I buy replacement bow cushions?

Q7. Where can I buy replacement bow-cover, bimini, mooring cover?

Q8: Recommend going directly through BW or is there a good quality OEM?

Really appreciate your help and insight. Thanks--Mike

jimh
Posts: 6457
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:25 pm
Location: Michigan, Lower Peninsula
Contact:

Re: 2001 Ventura 21

Postby jimh » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:35 am

roundle1979 wrote:Q4: Would 8 to 9-HP be sufficient?


A4: Yes.

roundle1979 wrote:Q5. The outboard: Aside from lower unit fluid changes, fuel filters, and spark plugs, the 100 hour engine has not had any major services. Anything that I should have looked at?


A5: I recommend you locate a local Mercury dealer. Visit the dealelrship. Speak to the service manager. Inquire if their service shop is expert, skilled, and experienced in the service and routine maintenance of a c.2001 Mercury OptiMax. If they do not express confidence, look for another dealer. Many Mercury dealers avoided selling the OptiMax. A c.2001 engine is an early production engine. In c.2006 Mercury announced a new generation of those engines. The OptiMax is a complicated engine, with

    --separate belt driven alterntor and bracket;

    --separate belt driven air boost pump;

    --the pulleys, tensioner, and idler associated with the belt;

    --dual injectors for each cylinder, one an air injector and one a fuel injector;

    --substantial fuel rails which carry the pressurized fuel to the injectors.

Unless a mechanic is specially trained and has experience with these engines, it would be unlikely he would be of much help in providing service.

In c.2002 there was a rather significant event in which a number of OptiMax engines failed. See
http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/003763.html
and
http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/011499.html

Also, be certain to use the recommended Mercury brand oil in the engine. Note, a fellow with a c.2004 engine ran his for over 3,000-hours without a major problem.

roundle1979 wrote:Q6. Where can I buy replacement bow cushions?

Q7. Where can I buy replacement bow-cover, bimini, mooring cover?

Q8: Recommend going directly through BW or is there a good quality OEM?


A6, A7, A8: You can buy replacement upholstered seat cushions from an authorized Boston Whaler dealer. If your local dealer is not interested in this sort of after-sale support, contact Twin Cities Marine in Two Rivers, Wisconsin, TEL: (920) 793-2715.

For aftermarket sources of upholstered cushions see the REFERENCE section article on RECOMMENDED VENDORS, Here is a hyperlink: http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/OEM.html#upholstery

Boat covers in the c.2001 epoch may have been made by GREAT LAKES BOAT TOPS. Inquire with them. Compare at

https://greatlakesboattop.com/products.html?find=boston-whaler-2001-21-ventura-bimini-outboard-option-25143&sid=l6u7M4ixyN

jimh
Posts: 6457
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:25 pm
Location: Michigan, Lower Peninsula
Contact:

Re: 2001 Ventura 21

Postby jimh » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:00 pm

roundle1979 wrote: I'm looking at a 2001 Ventura 21 with its original 225 OptiMax with just under 100 hours.


For an engine to have only been run 100-hours in about 18-years of use is very unusual. The boat and engine may have very little use, and if they have been sitting for a long time without use, there could be problems, such as: old fuel in the fuel tank, old oil in the oil tank, lack of proper long-term storage preparation leading to internal rust, water pump impeller stiff and not working. (Mercury water pump impellers generally are recommended for ANNUAL change.)

I very strongly recommend you have a sea trial, start the engine from a cold start, and assess how it is running in its present condition.

roundle1979
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:10 am

Re: 2001 Ventura 21

Postby roundle1979 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:04 pm

jimh wrote:For an engine to have only been run 100-hours in about 18-years of use is very unusual.
Thanks for input. Indeed, a low-hour boat.

Yes, will have authorized dealer have a look before I buy.

roundle1979
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:10 am

Re: 2001 Ventura 21

Postby roundle1979 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:33 am

Q3. Has anyone ever installed an auxiliary' engine on a 21 Ventura? I'm not planning to use for fishing; rather, want it in the event that the Mercury has a problem

Jefecinco
Posts: 950
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:35 pm
Location: Gulf Shores, AL

Re: 2001 Ventura 21

Postby Jefecinco » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:24 am

Adding a "get home" engine is expensive and reduces performance of most small boats. Among the more common reasons an engine stops running is because of fuel quality or supply problems and if the second engine is supplied from the same source it will be useless. Battery failure is another common reason an engine cannot be started. Again, if the second engine is started by the same battery it will be useless unless it can be pull started.

Perhaps a better approach would be to spend the money on ensuring the Optimax engine is in excellent condition and carefully following the recommended maintenance schedule. If your concerns about reliability remain, towing insurance is available at competitive rates from BOAT/US and others.
Butch

roundle1979
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:10 am

Re: 2001 Ventura 21

Postby roundle1979 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:36 am

Jefecinco wrote:Adding a "get home" engine is expensive and reduces performance of most small boats. Among the more common reasons an engine stops running is because of fuel quality or supply problems and if the second engine is supplied from the same source it will be useless. Battery failure is another common reason an engine cannot be started. Again, if the second engine is started by the same battery it will be useless unless it can be pull started.

Perhaps a better approach would be to spend the money on ensuring the Optimax engine is in excellent condition and carefully following the recommended maintenance schedule. If your concerns about reliability remain, towing insurance is available at competitive rates from BOAT/US and others.


That's for your opinion. : )

Still, would be great to have an answer to my question.

User avatar
Phil T
Posts: 1025
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:08 pm
Location: Was Maine, now Kentucky
Contact:

Re: 2001 Ventura 21

Postby Phil T » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:43 pm

a capacity of at least 10


You will want a significantly larger boat than 21' for the ocean and LI sound. With 10 aboard there is not much if any room. The boat will need the max hp and be sluggish.

If I were the USCG, Harbor Master or Marine Patrol, I would stop you the moment I saw you for a safety inspection.
Member since 2003
1992 Outrage 17, 1992 Evinrude 115

jimh
Posts: 6457
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:25 pm
Location: Michigan, Lower Peninsula
Contact:

Re: 2001 Ventura 21

Postby jimh » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:42 pm

roundle1979 wrote:Q3. Has anyone ever installed an auxiliary' engine on a 21 Ventura?


I expect that chances that SOMEONE has done this are very high. Whether or not anyone reading this thread has will be a different answer.

I don't understand why you want to know if an auxiliary engine has EVER been installed on the 21 VENTURA.

How will it affect you?

If you want an auxiliary, I'd just install one. Maybe you'll be the first. But the chances are someone else has already done it.

jimh
Posts: 6457
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:25 pm
Location: Michigan, Lower Peninsula
Contact:

Re: 2001 Ventura 21

Postby jimh » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:44 pm

Phil T wrote:If I were the USCG, Harbor Master or Marine Patrol, I would stop [a 21 VETURA with ten aboard] the moment I saw you for a safety inspection.


Oh yeah, I think your reaction will be typical of any agency on the water whose purpose is to perform safety inspections. Better have 10 working, in perfect condition, type accepted, personal floatation devices being worn or in place to be readily deployed.

roundle1979
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:10 am

Re: 2001 Ventura 21

Postby roundle1979 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:50 pm

Phil T wrote:
a capacity of at least 10


You will want a significantly larger boat than 21' for the ocean and LI sound. With 10 aboard there is not much if any room. The boat will need the max hp and be sluggish.

If I were the USCG, Harbor Master or Marine Patrol, I would stop you the moment I saw you for a safety inspection.


I should have mentioned that many of my passengers are between the ages of 3 and 7. : )