Below is a link to a lead-acid AGM battery using ultra-high-purity lead that appears to be suitable for use as a starting battery for almost any outboard engine:
X2Power Premium AGM Dual Purpose (Starting/Cycling) Battery for Starting BCI Group 34M Marine and Boat
https://www.batteriesplus.com/productde ... li34agmdpm
The basis for this recommendation:
- the ultra-high-purity lead in the lead-acid battery creates very low self-discharge rates. This is a useful feature for boats that are used on a seasonal basis and left in storage for long periods.
- the AGM construction give flexibility in installation; you do not really need a battery box enclosure. The AGM construction is also resilient to vibration and motion.
- the AGM construction also allows the battery to be shipped to the retailer with the electrolyte in place, which greatly simplifies distribution into the retail channel from the manufacturer. Flooded cell batteries are generally only transported a short distance from the manufacturer's distribution site where the electrolyte is added, to the retailer, and the carrier is usually a special truck owned by the battery manufacturer.
CCA = 880
MCA = 1050
Category = SLI or Starting, Lighting, and Ignition
Warranty Free Replacement = 48-months
This battery is priced at $304, but you can get a 10-percent discount coupon for web-order and store delivery purchase. That moves the price down to about $270. There is also a $20 mail-in rebate.
This battery should provide a ten-year service life in outboard engine starting use for a typical boater. The recommended vendor is just the retailer, but they have nationwide stores and should be available almost anywhere. This battery is probably made Northstar. See
A similar battery was sold by Sears for many years and was made by Odyssey. A 34M battery will fit into a standard battery box.
There is a similar X2 battery in the 24M case; this battery will fit into the traditional battery boxes, particularly the ones provided as accessories on classic Boston Whaler boats.
X2Power Premium AGM Dual Purpose (Starting/Cycling) Battery for Starting BCI Group 24M Marine and Boat
Both batteries have a 48-month free replacement warranty. Here is a comparison of some data between the 34M and 24M models:
MODEL CCA MCA RC AH LBS L W H PRICE
34M 880 1050 133 65 50.6 10.87 6.99 7.76 $305
24M 840 1010 160 76 57.7 10.87 6.57 8.75 $325
CCA = cold cranking Amperes measured at 0-degrees-F
MCA = marine cranking Amperes measured at 32-degrees-F
RC = reserve capacity; minutes at 25-Ampere discharge until terminal voltage drops to 10.5-Volts
AH = Ampere-hours; assumed the basis is a 20-hour discharge rate.
LBS = weight in Avoirdupois units
L W H = height, width, length in inches
PRICE = current advertised website prices July 3, 2018
I recently purchased the 24M model for these reasons:
- better fit into existing battery box
- 7-lbs more lead
- more Ampere-hours capacity