Moderated Discussion Areas
  ContinuousWave: The Whaler GAM or General Area

Post New Topic  Post Reply
search | FAQ | profile | register | author help

Author Topic:   Scupper
Landlocked posted 08-24-2001 10:51 PM ET (US)   Profile for Landlocked   Send Email to Landlocked  
What is the purpose of the small well at the rear of my montauk. My old outrage had a similar area.

I have theorized that it captures water washed in the boat when the boat rides up a wave and then allows it to drain out as the boat levels out. However, since the only waves around here come from those 8%#!$# bass boats and jet skis, I haven't been able to test my theory.

Someone fill me in.

kingfish posted 08-25-2001 12:41 AM ET (US)     Profile for kingfish  Send Email to kingfish     

It's the "splashwell" (or motor well), and serves to do just about what you describe - catch water from a following sea or from the wash when backing down, etc. Without it, or without the forward bulkhead that forms the well with the transom, such water would wind upon your deck.


Arch Autenreith posted 08-25-2001 12:54 AM ET (US)     Profile for Arch Autenreith  Send Email to Arch Autenreith     
Transom/structure support only.
Macman posted 08-25-2001 09:50 AM ET (US)     Profile for Macman  Send Email to Macman     
Try backing down on a following sea..all will be revealed!
Landlocked posted 08-25-2001 03:44 PM ET (US)     Profile for Landlocked  Send Email to Landlocked     
Thanks! - Sometimes I'm afraid to ask those stupid questions.... but Hey - Can't help being landlocked.


Post New Topic  Post Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | RETURN to ContinuousWave Top Page

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.