Moderated Discussion Areas
  ContinuousWave: The Whaler GAM or General Area
  Whaler Sump Pump on 18 foot Outrage ?

Post New Topic  Post Reply
search | FAQ | profile | register | author help

Author Topic:   Whaler Sump Pump on 18 foot Outrage ?
JohnNorthEast posted 03-04-2002 10:00 AM ET (US)   Profile for JohnNorthEast   Send Email to JohnNorthEast  
I just reviewed the bilge pump article but have not been able to determine if there is indeed a sump pump on the 18 foot outrage. I have a 1985 and ( gas tank is removed) and I have not come across anything. Where should this pump be located on an 85 outrage ?
JBCornwell posted 03-04-2002 10:58 AM ET (US)     Profile for JBCornwell  Send Email to JBCornwell     
Howdy, JohnNE.

On both of my OR-18s I put the pump under the teak plate at the starboard stern where the control/harness bundle comes out.

Good luck.

Red sky at night. . .
JB :)

Tom W Clark posted 03-04-2002 11:33 AM ET (US)     Profile for Tom W Clark  Send Email to Tom W Clark     

The bilge pump did not come with the boat when it was new. If you have one then it was installed by a previous owner or the selling dealer.

The pump location is not under the teak plate over the drain plug but rather under the deck plate pry-out immediately next to it. That is why that deck plate is there.

JohnNorthEast posted 03-04-2002 06:02 PM ET (US)     Profile for JohnNorthEast  Send Email to JohnNorthEast     
Thanks to both. I do not believe there is a bilge pump on my outrage.I will re check when the weather here allows...However, I have my whaler on a trailer when not in the water.

Is a bilge pump recommended?

Tom W Clark posted 03-04-2002 06:27 PM ET (US)     Profile for Tom W Clark  Send Email to Tom W Clark     

I think it's worthwhile. The sump is much harder to reach into and pull the plug so it's nice to be able to just throw a switch and have the water drained out.

You can put all sorts of pumps down there and you can wire them up anyway you want, but I recommend just using a small (like a Rule 500 gph) pump that doesn't cost much money and wiring up to a simple on/off switch at the console. Run the drain tube out of the "tunnel" with all the other cables and wires and just let the end drain into the splash well, or over the transom if you prefer.

I had a Rule 360 gph and mine simply dumped into the slashwell. It was more than adequate and you could hardly tell I had a pump. Certainly no need to drill a hole in your boat for installing a through hull.

lhg posted 03-06-2002 10:44 PM ET (US)     Profile for lhg    
You could get the rule 1500 gph bilge pump installed as a factory option on the 18's.

I should have, but didn't, so I installed my own, a Rule Platinum 1100 computer auto pump, with shut off switch on the dash. The black water tubing is bundled with the engine cables and dumps over the starboard transom. Works just fine and is invisible. I agree, that drilling a through hull though the side is not necessary. But if so, use a bronze long shank model, because of the hull thickness. That eliminates the Whaler "recessed cup" detail.

I agree with Whaler in using a high capacity pump, since the REAL purpose of one of these is not to get rid of minor sump water, but to deal with SERIOUS water coming into the boat from bad conditions, etc. Always oversize your bilge pumps!

Tom W Clark posted 03-07-2002 12:55 AM ET (US)     Profile for Tom W Clark  Send Email to Tom W Clark     

I totally disagree with your last statement. While it is nice to have a substantial bilge pump in your 18 Outrage, the pump's real purpose IS to get rid of minor sump water. No pump is going to bail a swamped whaler like hitting the gas and sloshing it right over the transom or simply pulling the plug. The unsinkable, low profile Whaler was designed to be able to do just that. It is one of the reasons it is such a safe boat.

I think there is nothing wrong with installing a 1500 gph pump, I just donít think itís necessary. If you do, be sure to use wiring capable of handling the 5 amp draw of this larger pump.

Blackeagle posted 03-07-2002 01:46 AM ET (US)     Profile for Blackeagle  Send Email to Blackeagle     
Would hitting the gas to eject the water be as effective on a full transom boat (like Whale Lure, for instance)?
lhg posted 03-07-2002 01:05 PM ET (US)     Profile for lhg    
Blackeagle - the anser is no! But there are 2 additional 3" drains drilled through the splash rail to assist in this function, on all full transom Whalers.

Tom - I'm just the messenger here, and copied Whaler's offering as best I could (I didn't want to bother with a separate float switch like they used). On all 18-25 Outrages/Revenges, the factory installed the Rule 1500 pump as a factory option, the only one available. So maybe it was overkill on an 18, and underkill on a 25. Who knows?

Post New Topic  Post Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | RETURN to ContinuousWave Top Page

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.