Moderated Discussion Areas
  ContinuousWave: The Whaler GAM or General Area
  Rental truck (KY to NH) BW transport ?

Post New Topic  Post Reply
search | FAQ | profile | register | author help

Author Topic:   Rental truck (KY to NH) BW transport ?
whalerdoc posted 05-01-2002 03:10 PM ET (US)   Profile for whalerdoc   Send Email to whalerdoc  
I recall past threads about various ways of retrieving whalers bought in distant locals, and one method mentioned was flying one way and using rental trucks to retrieve said prized new possession. I was wondering if anyone on the list has done this and can offer suggestions. I have a new baby (18' OR) that awaits me in Kentucky, and I need to go get it in the coming month. Specifically, the questions I have are: what rental CO's have people used, how does one hook up the lights (since I believe the sockets are different on rental trucks) and what is the minimum size truck I could use? Additionally, I should offer that if anyone has something they need transported from KY to New England in the next month, let me know, because I will probably have an empty moving truck...
Thanks so much for any and all advice -
JFM posted 05-01-2002 03:25 PM ET (US)     Profile for JFM  Send Email to JFM     
Doc, where abouts in KY did you find an Outrage?
Some guys use transport co.'s for so much a mile. But you can pull an 18 Outrage with a full size PU, or a SUV.
The trailer is probably a flat conn.. You can buy a flat to round conn. from any trailer store.
I would borrow a P/U and go get her!
Regards, Jay
whalerdoc posted 05-01-2002 03:33 PM ET (US)     Profile for whalerdoc  Send Email to whalerdoc     
Thanks for the reply, Jay. The boat spent its former life in a garage on lake cumberland. Reason for the fly/rent truck is time - it is a 15-20 hour drive and i only have a weekend - and probably only a saturday am - late sunday timeframe.
JFM posted 05-01-2002 03:45 PM ET (US)     Profile for JFM  Send Email to JFM     
Doc, the rental co.'s don't like one ways as much as local.
In the general area Ryder does a good job. We use them at work and they keep their word and don't double book.
Saturday is a day I would confirm in advance and get confirmation. I would see if the seller could help you out. However, I assume you will come into Lexington or Knoxville and still have a ride ahead of you.
Perhaps you could line one up at the airport and go get her.
Regards, Jay
triblet posted 05-01-2002 04:20 PM ET (US)     Profile for triblet  Send Email to triblet     
You might see if you could rent a full-size van
or PU from Hertz/Avis/etc. at the airport.
They are happier about one-ways. Be sure to
check their rules about trailers (they may have
a "no trailers") rule.


Taylor posted 05-01-2002 04:43 PM ET (US)     Profile for Taylor  Send Email to Taylor     
Cost would be lower for an SUV than a truck. Most trucks come from the 'commercial' side of the house and have a mileage charge, which can add up fast, while SUV's come from the touristic side of the house and usually have unlimited mileage. I would be *sure* to check on the rules for trailers as Chuck suggests. But since most SUV's have receiver hitches, maybe all you need is a towbar and a closed mouth. (Not that I have the guts to do that)
JFM posted 05-01-2002 04:44 PM ET (US)     Profile for JFM  Send Email to JFM     
Doc, been up your way. You better look at no way 15 hours and lucky to do it in 20 with a boat in tow through the Green Mountains. Also get a truck with a big fuel tank, you'll need it. Regards, Jay
tabasco posted 05-01-2002 06:35 PM ET (US)     Profile for tabasco  Send Email to tabasco     
Fly down to kentucky and rent a SUV one way and buy a new trailer in KY. You will want one anyway.
whalerdoc posted 05-01-2002 07:27 PM ET (US)     Profile for whalerdoc  Send Email to whalerdoc     
tobasco and all -
thanks for the replies/suggestions. The boat is on a 3 year old trailor in perfect shape with a spare. The reason i thought i needed a moving truck was the hitch issue - i dont seem to recall suv's i have rented having hitches. am i wrong? if so you are correct and it would be MUCH easier to do a one way rental on a ford explorer or something. Does anyone out there know? Thanks again,
Tom W Clark posted 05-01-2002 07:37 PM ET (US)     Profile for Tom W Clark  Send Email to Tom W Clark     

Your's is a great idea that probably isn't going to work. Most rental places (all that I have had experience with) will specifically forbid you from towing your boat with the vehicle they rent to you. You could, of course, not tell them. Be sure you have some sort of insurance policy that will cover in this case. It may not be that big a deal.

As far as the trailer lighting connector is concerned, a simple converter is available at most any auto parts store or truck/trailer rental place.

ShrimpBurrito posted 05-01-2002 07:42 PM ET (US)     Profile for ShrimpBurrito  Send Email to ShrimpBurrito     
Whalerdoc -

IMHO, Penske is the best truck rental place around. In my experience, they have new, clean trucks, professional staff, and VERY competitive pricing. They have unlimited mileage too. Looks like they'll charge you ~$300 for the trip, and 5 days to do it. U-Haul is a rip-off.

If you can find a SUV/pick-up rental place that'll do the one-way rental, you'll likely pay a very steep drop-off fee. National is unusual in this respect, as they used to (and may still) rent one-ways for a $60 drop charge.

simonmeridew posted 05-01-2002 08:12 PM ET (US)     Profile for simonmeridew  Send Email to simonmeridew     
As far as the lights/adapters are concerned, the rental co's such as u haul will sell you light bulbs with a pigtail attached; you take out your taillight /turn indicator bulbs and replace with their bulb; the pigtail sticks out at the edge of the lens; this pigtail has "bullet" connectors which makes it easy to wire up the trailer. They also sell converters which wouldn't be a good deal if only a rental vehicle. If it was your own vehicle if you need a converter it's a good opportunity to buy one.
aubv posted 05-01-2002 09:57 PM ET (US)     Profile for aubv  Send Email to aubv     

How about hiring a marine transport co to deliver it to you. All you have to do is make a phone call and then wait by the door. Oh and write a check!

Have fun with the boat.

Morocco posted 05-01-2002 10:48 PM ET (US)     Profile for Morocco  Send Email to Morocco     
I looked at the same question about dragging a 22 revenge from Seattle to LA. (But was saved from that buy a good marine surveyor, and the amazing Tom Clark, who came out to look over a boat that had a delamination, among other things, but that's another story)

What I found out was that having a good transporter haul it worked out to be just about the same money as doing it myself when you added up one way airline, truck rental and gas... I suggest you call Stan at Peterson Transport. 800-453-8067. Tell him I sent you -- he'll recognize me as the guy who has almost hired him to transport TWO different Revenges, and still doesn't have a boat! And he was nice, professional and had the best prices through it all.

The other thing, is these guys have all the right insurance, equipment etc, to do this easily. Oh, and another plus about Peterson is that most of thier trucks have some sort of lift so you don't have to pay $150 at each end to get the boat onto/off the truck.

Also, it is much safer, especially if you are trying to make time -- that's when you are most likely to screw up. Trust me, and let someone deliver it -- think of it as a really big, really cool Christmas gift!

Morocco posted 05-01-2002 10:52 PM ET (US)     Profile for Morocco  Send Email to Morocco     
All the usual disclaimers, I don't work for them, etc...

I just like to pass around the name of folks who do whatever job they have with honesty, efficiency and good humor.

Imagine having all that in spite of having boat weirdos like us calling you all day about boats that they end up not getting to buy!

whalerdoc posted 05-02-2002 02:24 PM ET (US)     Profile for whalerdoc  Send Email to whalerdoc     
morraco et al.
thanks for the # - i checked with them and you are correct, they will tow the OR for about what it would cost me to fly down and rent a moving truck. Hauling it on their flatbed was a bit more. I did check one-way rentals on SUVs, however, and it still would be significantly cheaper IF i knew if they had a hitch receiver or not...thanks again-

Post New Topic  Post Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | RETURN to ContinuousWave Top Page

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.