Moderated Discussion Areas
  ContinuousWave: The Whaler GAM or General Area
  follow up on my waterlogged 11'whaler

Post New Topic  Post Reply
search | FAQ | profile | register | author help

Author Topic:   follow up on my waterlogged 11'whaler
BrettDD posted 05-16-2002 03:17 AM ET (US)   Profile for BrettDD   Send Email to BrettDD  
Well it has been 3 weeks after I effected the repairs on my little whaler. It weighed in at just about 400lbs.. all waterlogged foam.. the interesting thing is I had it on its side with the bottom paint toward the sun for 3 weeks (it has been blazing hot here and the surface temp of the bottom was 160 degrees) and after reweighing it (the water or vapor or what-have-you had lots of places to escape from both the damage I was repairing or the rubrail), it is now a very respectable 240 lbs stripped. BW says it should weigh about 225.. NOT BAD!! What I am thinking is maybe they found a foam that indeed wont absorb water.. maybe it floats if damaged for a long time but if water does permiate it.. it can be drained now. Thus not soaking up any water technically since it doesnt hold it. I dont know.. I didnt really do anything all that weird to drain the water.. any thoughts?
Tom W Clark posted 05-16-2002 11:19 AM ET (US)     Profile for Tom W Clark  Send Email to Tom W Clark     

I have followed your "RE: Late model waterlogged whaler" thread with great interest as it makes an interesting comparison of my experience with Chain Saw Whaler.

You say your boat is now down to 240 lbs from 400 lbs. but in your other thread you state the boat initially weighed 320 lbs. Which figure is correct?

I am sure heat, especially heat and low humidity, will help dry a soggy Whaler. The moisture will evaporate, not boil, out of the foam.

Am I to understand the water evaporated out or did it drain out? This is an important distinction because in the case of CSW, the foam had ample opportunity to drain. There were holes all over including some I hole sawed into it. That hull held something like 80 gallons of water and it DID NOT dribble water regardless of how it was oriented on its trailer.

This is in complete contrast to reports of people affecting repairs by drilling a hole at the stern and tilting the hull and allowing it to drain for a few weeks. I simply do not believe this will remove a significant amount of water. The foam holds it very well.

Did you try using calcium chloride as you stated in the other thread? If so what arrangement did you make for it?

As far as the composition of the foam itself, it has all been essentially the same foam from 1958 to present. The only significant change in the foam occurred in 1993 when the color of the foam changed from white to yellow but it is still closed cell polyurethane foam.

The removal of 140 lbs of water (or even 80 lbs) in three weeks time is remarkable and encouraging. I think we would all like some more detail of exactly how you did this.

triblet posted 05-16-2002 12:06 PM ET (US)     Profile for triblet  Send Email to triblet     
Sounds like a summer in a storage lot in Yuma
would cure a lot of ills.


BrettDD posted 05-16-2002 08:09 PM ET (US)     Profile for BrettDD  Send Email to BrettDD     
The boat actually weighed in at about 375 according to the scale we rigged up. The first was an approximation, I should have made that clear, sorry.
The events happened like this, Pulled the whaler out of the water to effect repairs on it and bottom paint it.. it was weighed at 375. I did the glass repair, and bottom painted it ON ITS SIDE.. now I didnt see any significant water running out of it and didnt drill any additional holes in it but there is plenty of ways for water to run out if it could via the rub rail rivets and what damage was there. Like I said the black paint faced the sun and we measured the surface temp at 160 degrees.. I decided NOT to use a tent, driling holes and using calcium chloride because I was anxious to get it in the water. I figured I would wait after the season and use heaters and tent it then. It sat there baking for 3 weeks.. When I went to launch it.. I got the same 4 people I had when it was lugged out the first time.. and remarkably it took only 2 of us to lift it easily which prompted me to reweigh it. I didnt think I would need to since I did really nothing to drain the water except what is written above. Maybe more water drained out of the rivets than I saw. all it needed was about a gallon a day.. so maybe the heat could evaporate it at that rate. I just dont know. I was really taken by surprise by this and wish now I would have done it more controlled so I would have more accurate details of what to tell you did it..

Post New Topic  Post Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | RETURN to ContinuousWave Top Page

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.