Moderated Discussion Areas
ContinuousWave: The Whaler GAM or General Area
Should I buy the new Montauk 170 now?
|Author||Topic: Should I buy the new Montauk 170 now?|
posted 05-21-2002 01:44 AM ET (US)
I'm thinking about moving up from my 13 Dauntless and buying a new Montauk 170 with the 4-stroke 90. Is Boston Whaler going to raise the "introductory" price in the next 6 months? Are they going to increase the max HP rating to at least 115? Should I buy now or wait, risking a higher price for the same package? Opinions please. Thanks in advance,
posted 05-21-2002 02:10 AM ET (US)
I would buy now, as the package seems to be way underpriced. But contrary to what some here have done, I would take the standard 2-stroke 90 for the $17,000 package price.
Then, since most here seem to think the HP rating will go up, you can trade up to more HP if you want. The highly popular 2-stroke 90 will be easier to get out of, used, than the 4-stroke, which evidently is not all that popular because of its high price and weight, and lack of an EFI system, which should be coming soon.
posted 05-21-2002 08:53 AM ET (US)
If you are leaning toward the 90 4 stroke wait for the 2003 models if you can. Mercury is changing the gear ratio for better performance.
posted 05-21-2002 09:06 AM ET (US)
If money is not an object.........then I would wait. It seem obvious to me that it won't be long til Whaler raises the price on the new Montauk. Maybe they will also correct some of the objections on my original post.........hopefully making enough of the 115 HP to offer it on the Montauk.
On the other hand, I would love to see you out in your new montauk enjoying that wonderful RIDE.
Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.