Moderated Discussion Areas
  ContinuousWave: The Whaler GAM or General Area
  What would you do?

Post New Topic  Post Reply
search | FAQ | profile | register | author help

Author Topic:   What would you do?
whalertim posted 05-29-2002 12:56 PM ET (US)   Profile for whalertim   Send Email to whalertim  
Take into consideration you have a place at the beach. Small boat ramp into the sound or ICW. Durring low tide the water depth is about 1.5 ft. During high tide, about 2.5 to 3 depending on the time of year. From boat ramp to deep water (5ft or more) is about 350 yards. The question is What boat would you look to, to handle these conditions? Still you want a boat that you can go across the breakers on and fish.
I am wanting to get another Whaler, but I am wandering as what to get.
tabasco posted 05-29-2002 01:13 PM ET (US)     Profile for tabasco  Send Email to tabasco     
SIMPLE........The new Montauk it now they are raising the price in July.

I think the draft is 18 inches

Steve Leone posted 05-29-2002 02:33 PM ET (US)     Profile for Steve Leone  Send Email to Steve Leone     
you might consider an outboard jet. you can motor in approx 4in.of water with one of these. gas consumption goes up and you lose about 15% of your power but you can scream out of the harbor at low tide. new they are expensive, used anywhere from 400.00 to 500.00 bucks. they install just like a regular lower unit. we use them on the river systems here. i had one on a boat i called the "mudsucker" for years. no probs. steve out.
JBCornwell posted 05-29-2002 04:33 PM ET (US)     Profile for JBCornwell  Send Email to JBCornwell     
Ahoy, Tim.

I agree with Tabasco, mostly.

A classic Montauk is the most versatile fisherman ever made. You get a lot more for your bux with a classic.

Red sky at night. . .
JB :)

JFM posted 05-29-2002 04:43 PM ET (US)     Profile for JFM  Send Email to JFM     
Tim, I share your same problem. The draft on the old Montauk is 9", the old 13' Sport is 6". In order to work in low tide, you can paddle, pole or use a trolling motor to get in and out. I use the paddle method ( I have 2 strapping lads that like to fish). I'm sure they would prefer the trolling motor but there isn't a good way to mount one on a 13 Sport. Regards, Jay
andygere posted 05-29-2002 07:35 PM ET (US)     Profile for andygere  Send Email to andygere     
An Outrage 18 with a transom mounted electric trolling motor to get you in and out at low tide. Transom mount so if it hits bottom it kicks up instead of bending or breaking.
Steve Leone posted 05-29-2002 07:41 PM ET (US)     Profile for Steve Leone  Send Email to Steve Leone     
best idea yet andy, steve out.
whalertim posted 05-29-2002 08:21 PM ET (US)     Profile for whalertim  Send Email to whalertim     
I had a Montauk. It was a great boat. There was times that I had to put somone on the front to get in. It had a 90hp johnson. I have realy been considering getting another Montauk, but I would like a 18.
aubv posted 05-29-2002 09:38 PM ET (US)     Profile for aubv  Send Email to aubv     

Get and mount a push pole. Guides use them to fish the flats. If the boat you choose has a rear seat or rps, that you can stand on, even better. Happy hunting.

Bigshot posted 05-30-2002 10:07 AM ET (US)     Profile for Bigshot  Send Email to Bigshot     
Duh Tim......use a different ramp:)

Post New Topic  Post Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | RETURN to ContinuousWave Top Page

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.