Moderated Discussion Areas
  ContinuousWave: The Whaler GAM or General Area
  rub rail

Post New Topic  Post Reply
search | FAQ | profile | register | author help

Author Topic:   rub rail
flyguy posted 06-24-2002 12:44 PM ET (US)   Profile for flyguy   Send Email to flyguy  
i need a new rub rail for my 1966 nauset and whaler sent me the following e-mail...

Boston Whaler offers an all black, three pc rubrail (kit number 500-05006) or a heavier duty (Commercial grade) two pc, black rub rail (kit number 500-05017).

can anyone out there give me some details on the difference between regular and heavy duty? thanks.

Tom W Clark posted 06-24-2002 01:02 PM ET (US)     Profile for Tom W Clark  Send Email to Tom W Clark     

Actually, you probably want neither of these rub rails. If you were to choose between them then the three piece is the one you want. It will be considerably smaller in section and less expensive.

The rub rail I would recommend is the three piece rub rail made by Barbour Plastics. This is the rub rail used on Whalers in the 1970's and 1980's. It is a worthy upgrade from the original glue on one piece white rub rail that your boat originally had. The receiver track and shim are white or off white and the insert can be had in white, black or red. Black is the most common insert color and would be the most authentic.

The Barbour rub rail can be ordered through any Whaler dealer but I would recommend you contact Twin Cities Marine to order this kit.

You can read more about the Whaler rub rails in this Reference Section article on them:

There are many, many threads discussing the installation process including this one from last week:

flyguy posted 06-24-2002 01:23 PM ET (US)     Profile for flyguy  Send Email to flyguy     
thanks. i'll look into it.
63WHALER posted 06-24-2002 04:46 PM ET (US)     Profile for 63WHALER    
I would like to know the differences between the Boston Whaler's 3 piece , all black rub rail (#500-05006), and the one from Barbour Plastics. I currently have the one from Boston Whaler which I'm planning on installing , which will replace the original white one piece. I was informed from Chuck Bennet that this was the one he recomended I use. I purchased this one from BW before I learned of this marvelous site. Thanks for any & all your help.


flyguy posted 06-25-2002 07:39 AM ET (US)     Profile for flyguy  Send Email to flyguy     
fyi...i did call twincitiesmarine and they were very nice. ask for sue in parts. she said the one from barbour plastics was the same as the one you would get from a whaler dealer and that's what they sell. it comes in all black or off white with black insert. no red. the all black for my 1966 nauset is $89.75. she didn't have any info on a heavy duty rub rail. i bet a dealer might.

Post New Topic  Post Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | RETURN to ContinuousWave Top Page

Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Freeware Version 2000
Purchase our Licensed Version- which adds many more features!
© Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 2000.